Emily Elizabeth

I'M Healthy Now, Should I Still See A Gi Doctor Every Year?

Rate this topic

Hi everyone,

I was told at one point that I should see a GI doctor once a year as a "check-up" to make sure everything is going okay. Do any of you do this? I have just been having my regular doctor do a blood test annually to make sure my antibody levels are in the normal range.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Emily

I saw my GI doc to be diagnosed... he did blood work and a colonoscopy (cause I was near the age to be needing the first one). My blood work was so positive that he didn't see a need for an endoscopy. The next time I saw him was several years later when I was having terrible heartburn and acid reflux. That time he did an endoscopy and said he saw evidence of celiac disease, but that I was doing well w/ my gluten-free diet. I've not seen him since and don't see a need, as long as I don't have any unusual symptoms and keep on keepin' on w/ my gluten-free diet.

My GI says he likes to see his celiac patients once a year. I think its a good idea because vitamin deficiencies sneak in there without you realizing it ect. If your regular doctor knows all about celiac and runs all the tests that a GI specializing in celiac would then that would be okay too.

Hi everyone,

I was told at one point that I should see a GI doctor once a year as a "check-up" to make sure everything is going okay. Do any of you do this? I have just been having my regular doctor do a blood test annually to make sure my antibody levels are in the normal range.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Emily

It really depends on how well you feel you are doing. I was not diagnosed by a GI doc and never went to see one. There was too long of a wait for an appointment so I relied on my thyroid physician for diagnosis and I got that via blood work....I failed all of the panel tests by huge numbers. I also was textbook Celiac, as far as symptoms went, so it was a no brainer for me.

I did exceptionally well on the gluten-free diet and 5 years later, have zero symptoms and have recovered 100%. I am also dairy free as well. I go for physicals every 3 years now and have my blood work drawn then. My PCP told me there was no need to come any more often, as long as I was doing well and having no problems. That may change down the road but I do not expect problems and keep a very positive attitude, plus am very diligent about the diet. Unless a person has underlying health problems, you most likely do not have to go to a GI doctor just because you have Celiac Disease. You live in your body and know what is normal for you so if you feel comfortable with your routine, stick with it and don't worry about what other people suggest.