kayakgal

Gluten Free Baked Goods

Rate this topic

Having grown up on pasta and bread, it was devastating to find out I suffer from celiac desease. All the baked goods were dry and crumbly. I have with some experimenting discovered that by adding 1-2 tablespoons of gluten free mayonaise in my recipes that they come out moist and delicious. You will not be able to tell the difference from regular baked goods. I have made cheesecake, breads, cake, and even pizza dough. Try it you will be amazed. Yes we have to be more creative with our flavorings, but I am getting used to it. I also find that corn and quionoa pasta tastes and has the best texture for your past dishes. I am working on a home made recipe with a pasta machine next. So I can have lasagne that tastes like my Mammas'. Thanks CRL

Thanks as well. Sour Cream works too. My favorite soda bread recipe calls for a cup of sour cream.

2T mayo sounds better and easier and more economical. Which brand of mayo is gluten-free? Didn't realize mayo had gluten. Wow.

I am looking for a really good lasagna recipe. Would you mind posting yours? Thanks.

Thanks as well. Sour Cream works too. My favorite soda bread recipe calls for a cup of sour cream.

2T mayo sounds better and easier and more economical. Which brand of mayo is gluten-free? Didn't realize mayo had gluten. Wow.

I think most are gluten free. They were probably just saying gluten free incase you happen to end up with a brand that is not, be sure to check.

Hellmanns, Best Foods, Mrs. Clarks, Nutrimax, Spectrum Natural, Follow your heart Vegenaise are all gluten free. Just be sure to check the label always. Hellmanns and Best foods are the most common ones I've seen.

Interesting. I'll have to try that. :)

I think most are gluten free. They were probably just saying gluten free incase you happen to end up with a brand that is not, be sure to check.

Hellmanns, Best Foods, Mrs. Clarks, Nutrimax, Spectrum Natural, Follow your heart Vegenaise are all gluten free. Just be sure to check the label always. Hellmanns and Best foods are the most common ones I've seen.

THANKS!

I noticed Bette Hagman uses sour cream in her recipes. Also pudding mix in cookies. You can use applesauce of yogurt too. This is the first time I've heard or mayo except for a cake batter posted on here a couple of yrs ago. I will have have to try it. Thanks! Another thing I learned is to let your batter sit while the oven warms up, you get a better rise and less gritty texture.

I will have to try the mayo to. I made a cake recipe that had creme fraiche in it, and it was delicious, but that is not an ingredient I always have on hand. Mayo is a good suggestion. I had been thinking about sour cream too and read about applesauce (unfortunately, a "make your own" ingredient here--and when I make it it vanishes too quickly :o

Thank you for your replies. I will have to try the sourcream, and applesauce is another good one. Please read the label on your mayo. Some use hidden fillers that are not gluten free. Even the popular labels like hellmans, cains, kraft, just read the label to be sure. CRL