This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Can I Do To Help Speed Recovery?

sandsurfgirl

sandsurfgirl Collaborator

Just like most of you on this board I have been misdiagnosed for my entire life and just got my diagnosis at the ripe "young" age of 40. I had an attack of dizzy spells, vomiting, chest pain and stomache pain that landed me in the E.R. last Sunday (4 days ago) and the E.R. doc happened to be a celiac disease patient himself. When he looked at my history, he said "You need to be tested for celiac disease and if the test is negative go on a gluten free diet anyway."

So I immediately called my doc Monday, got the test and went gluten free that day. I got my results today and they are positive without a doubt.

This attack, after eating pizza and cake at my nephew's birthday party has been the most severe and long lasting one I've had. I'm still feeling nauseous. I'm having many bowel movements per day, especially in the morning, like 5 of them within 2 hours this morning, and when I have to go I'm having dizzy spells right before. I had dizzy spells all morning, but started feeling better around noon. Also I'm alternating between C and D.

I am being ridiculously careful about my diet and I'm taking probiotics (gluten free of course). What else can I do to speed healing of my poor digestive tract? I'm seeing an acupuncturist but I don't have an appointment until Saturday with him and I don't know how much he knows about this disease and the diet, etc.

Maybe this is gross and TMI but do enemas help or do they cause more irritation? I used them in the past for C, but I don't want to make things worse with that at this point.

I have a 2 and 5 year old, and it's tough caring for them with these dizzy spells and the need to stay near a bathroom.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Wolicki Enthusiast

Just like most of you on this board I have been misdiagnosed for my entire life and just got my diagnosis at the ripe "young" age of 40. I had an attack of dizzy spells, vomiting, chest pain and stomache pain that landed me in the E.R. last Sunday (4 days ago) and the E.R. doc happened to be a celiac disease patient himself. When he looked at my history, he said "You need to be tested for celiac disease and if the test is negative go on a gluten free diet anyway."

So I immediately called my doc Monday, got the test and went gluten free that day. I got my results today and they are positive without a doubt.

This attack, after eating pizza and cake at my nephew's birthday party has been the most severe and long lasting one I've had. I'm still feeling nauseous. I'm having many bowel movements per day, especially in the morning, like 5 of them within 2 hours this morning, and when I have to go I'm having dizzy spells right before. I had dizzy spells all morning, but started feeling better around noon. Also I'm alternating between C and D.

I am being ridiculously careful about my diet and I'm taking probiotics (gluten free of course). What else can I do to speed healing of my poor digestive tract? I'm seeing an acupuncturist but I don't have an appointment until Saturday with him and I don't know how much he knows about this disease and the diet, etc.

Maybe this is gross and TMI but do enemas help or do they cause more irritation? I used them in the past for C, but I don't want to make things worse with that at this point.

I have a 2 and 5 year old, and it's tough caring for them with these dizzy spells and the need to stay near a bathroom.

Sorry, you just have to let it ride. Drink lots of water, whole foods, nothing processed, and stay away from additives and gluten replacement foods. Fruits, veggies and lean protein, and lay off the dairy for a while. Enzymes with your meals might help some. I hope you feel better soon.

runningcrazy Contributor

Well i think enemas might be harsh especially for the healing body :huh:

Stick to bland foods-rice, vegetables, and other easy simple foods. Stick to whole foods. Avoid dairy. Drink lots of water and stay away from all soda or other drinks other than water and tea.

Keep a food diary and try to see a connection between symptoms and the food you are eating. Be easy on your stomach and try to get enough fiber but dont be harsh on your body.

Also, get some gluten free enzymes, these help a bunch!

I was terribly constipated for years and my doc had me on 6 laxatives daily, i went to the ER once and they just told me to use an enema. Neither of these worked :(

After going gluten free, it took a few months to get regulated. Also, im 5 months into it and still not fully recovered.

Well i think enemas might be harsh especially for the healing body :huh:

Stick to bland foods-rice, vegetables, and other easy simple foods. Stick to whole foods. Avoid dairy. Drink lots of water and stay away from all soda or other drinks other than water and tea.

Keep a food diary and try to see a connection between symptoms and the food you are eating. Be easy on your stomach and try to get enough fiber but dont be harsh on your body.

Also, get some gluten free enzymes, these help a bunch!

I was terribly constipated for years and my doc had me on 6 laxatives daily, i went to the ER once and they just told me to use an enema. Neither of these worked :(

After going gluten free, it took a few months to get regulated. Also, im 5 months into it and still not fully recovered.

What are gluten free enzymes and where do I get them? I swear this is the only message board where you can freely talk about constipation and nobody thinks you are weird. LOL!!

Wolicki Enthusiast

What are gluten free enzymes and where do I get them? I swear this is the only message board where you can freely talk about constipation and nobody thinks you are weird. LOL!!

There are many gluten free enzymes. I use NOW brand plant enzymes. Whole Foods, Natural Health Stores, maybe through a naturopath if you don't have those, but you can certainly get them on line.

mushroom Proficient

There are many gluten free enzymes. I use NOW brand plant enzymes. Whole Foods, Natural Health Stores, maybe through a naturopath if you don't have those, but you can certainly get them on line.

These are the basic digestive enzymes, like protease, lactase, lipase, some have bromelain and papain. Often you will find that your pancreas needs a bit of help producing these at first. I found them very helpful.

butterfl8 Rookie

L-glutamine has helped me too. Apparently it is supposed to help rebuild the cells of the intestines! Sounds perfect, no? The nutritionist I saw when first diagnosed recommended 2000 mg, 3x per day. Don't think it will speed anything up, healing wise, but it does help the healing.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

happygirl Collaborator

Eat very simply to give your digestive track time to heal. May want to try some Immodium to stop some of your symptoms, too. Unfortunately, there is no one magic bullet.

mysecretcurse Contributor

Girl, its been years for me and I'm still healing. It takes time. A lot of time. Even healing to where you feel better in a few weeks wont compare to the healing you see overall in the next months, years of your life! Its amazing, but a hard journey too. For some immediate relief I suggest eating mostly green smoothies for a couple days, with some food fat in them like avacado.

The things that have helped me the most are more good fat in my diet (avacado, coconut oil, flax) and more meat. Try not to eat too much grain, even safe grain like rice. For me, the best things I did were eating fatty cuts of meat and yummy vegetable fats. Maybe its just my blood or body type though, I can't really say, just do what works for you. Sorry I don't have a lot of better advice, I just wanted to give you hope of all the good healing you have to look forward to. :)

Fields Newbie

Fields Newbie

Try Align Probiotics and use 3 times a day. This will help with the bathroom trips. Find a good Nutritionist to ensure you're getting the amount of protein you need for energy. Fresh fruits and vegetables along with lean meats are key. It's a long journey. I wish you well especially with having small children. You should also have them tested.

Try Align Probiotics and use 3 times a day. This will help with the bathroom trips. Find a good Nutritionist to ensure you're getting the amount of protein you need for energy. Fresh fruits and vegetables along with lean meats are key. It's a long journey. I wish you well especially with having small children. You should also have them tested.

Having the kids tested is my next step. My sister is also getting tested because she has symptoms bad, and other autoimmune disorders that could be linked.

My 5 year old gets violently ill if he eats anything whole wheat, not so much with white flour, but I think he might have symptoms such as asthma and allergies that are not gastro. He's a great kid, but he can also get very agitated and upset at times for something minor and I think that it's a celiac symptom.

SaraLynnMusic Newbie

I'm going through the same thing with the D and having to take Imodium just to be able to leave my house. What has helped me is Aloe Vera Gel that you ingest, Calcium Magnesium (believe it or not that helps your bowels), and Acidophilus. These things calm your stomach and help internal healing to go faster. I have been on the gluten-free diet 2 months and these things are helping me a lot. Also, for the emotional and anxiety side of things try an infrared sauna at a nearby spa. A fellow Celiac recommended it to me that the heat will help you sweat out the toxins that are still in your body much faster. It did help and also made me relax which assists in calming the D. Also, if you can manage a massage it does aid in digestion problems. That's only if you've made it to a point where you're able to take an Imodium and make it through the appointment. As for the emotional side of things you may want to look into meditation and yoga. I've just started and I do feel better.... good luck to you. There seem to be lots of people here who can empathize.

• 2 weeks later...
Tigercat17 Enthusiast

Sorry you found out after so not feeing good for so long. Believe me I know how you feel! Like most of us, I too, found out I had celiac disease after lots of health problems. It does take a while to heal. I've been gluten free for almost five months & I'm just starting to feel better. I was so skinny, but I gained all my weight back & I can finally have dairy! :D It was a tough road.

What really helped me was yogurt (1-2 a day with live cultures), eating whole unprocessed food (lots of variety), exercise (circulation helps the body heal, but, don't over do it). Stay away from the gluten free products for a while. Don't eat anything that bothers your tummy. Also, keep a food diary. It really helps to sort out the foods that bother you. Then you can add them back one at a time after you healed some.

Also, make sure you're drinking enough fluids like Gatorade, especially since you're having dizzy spells & you're going to the bathroom a lot. You might need some electrolytes.

Happy Healing! You Will get better! :)

Archived