This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

We'Ll All Be Eating Gluten In About 15 Minutes...Sorry

camprunner

gabby Enthusiast

Thermos! Thermos! Thermos! I have several in various sizes (tall, thin, wide, short, big, little) and I take one or two along whenever I go to a dinner or someone's house. I fill it with whatever I feel like eating: sometimes it has hot soup, or hot stew or hot risotto, chili, creamy polenta and sauce, gluten-free noodles and sauce, etc. Everything will stay hot and delicious for around 8 hours. I will also bring a smaller thermos that has my own hot coffee or hot tea in it. I always explain ahead of time to people that I'm bringing my own food.

If I want to eat something cold, then I bring my lunch-sized thermos bag that will keep things cold for a good 4-6 hours. In there I'll stash cold drinks, or cold chicken salad/tuna salad/gluten-free noodle salads, veggies and dip, etc.

I always carry a knapsack with me that is always stuffed with things I might need including: fresh washed fruit, nuts, safe popcorn, etc. Plus I always carry my own little stash of cutlery, small plastic plates, safe packets of salt/pepper/condiments/sugar, a bottle of water. If I need any of these things, I just get them out. If I don't need these things, I leave them in the bag and use them at a later date. The point is that I'm always prepared. The first 2 or 3 times people see you drag out your knapsack, they'll comment on the strangeness of it. But by the 4th or 5th time, they won't even blink an eye. Seriously.

Hope this helps!

• 1 year later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

captaincrab55 Enthusiast

I do not necessarily expect the world to revolve around my diet, however I do expect people to consider my feelings.

Mostly just hurt that these are all people who are supposed to love me and don't understand.

camprunner, Your issues with pizza & other foods at home are issues that can be worked out... On the other hand, going out to visit friends and family can create issues... Trveling to visit can cause bigger issues... I have 2 simple rules; True Friends and Loving Family Members will accept me to judge their food, "As safe for me to eat or allow me to bring my own food" or stay at home... True Fiends and Family will miss you and then work out the food issue with you... I find that people who ask what they need to do to prepare a meal for me, are usually ill equipped or lack the ability to comprehend the total picture of details.. So Rule #2; If they need to ask how to prepare a gluten free dish or meal, I just assume they can't pull it off and offer to just bring my own food... I suffered way to many years to chance eating food prepared by someone trying to accommadate my diet without knoweledge of gluten free food prep... I will trust my Daughter's cooking...

Elizabeth5220 Apprentice

I like to use analogies...and I while allergy is not quite accurate, for many uneducated, non-celiacs, it makes sense. Tell your family that while some people are allergic to peanuts, you are allergic to wheat. You get sick if you eat it. Ask them if they would give booze to an alcoholic? It's not quite the same thing, but you get the picture... :)

Cathey Apprentice

I'm sorry your having such a hard time with family and friends understanding your health. Remember NO ONE can take advantage of you unless you let them. Take as much pre-made food as you can with you to eat, make meals and freeze them, pack in ice and travel keeping in mind your health is the most important thing and have an enjoyable Holiday.

I was just speaking today to my son, Christmas Eve has been moved to my brothers instead of my sisters. My sons response "guess you have to bring me a meal". He and my niece are Vegetarians, where ever we go I always bring several dishes for them. Last time my SIL had nothing for them to eat. That's why I always bring my own for them. This year Christmas Eve my sons girlfriend is flying in and she is also gluten-free. She is revealed to know our home is gluten free. Amazing how accommodating some family members can be, Thanksgiving my other sister when above and beyond to make sure I would not be CC in her home.

Have a wonderful holiday and plan ahead, don't worry about how they will feel if you don't eat their food, you are the most important one.

Cathey

mamabear272 Explorer

I have to say that this post infuriates me! :angry: My family isn't very understanding of my disease but they NEVER tell me I can't bring gluten-free things to functions. My friends are really goo about making sure they have plenty of gluten-free items for me and in my house, my hubby (when he makes dinner) makes it gluten-free. I just can't imagine friends and family being quite that un-accepting. You have to take care of you and if your family doesn't get that then I wouldn't visit them!

IrishHeart Veteran

Hey guys,

This post is from January 2010--and the OP may not see your replies.

Just so you know. :)

Cheers, IH

Katrala Contributor

I don't bring things that I can't eat. Period.

If my family said I couldn't bring my own food, I wouldn't go. In-laws or not.

I don't think you have to have what they are eating, though. I mean, it's nice, but part of having dietary restrictions is knowing that there are times that you don't get to eat what everyone else is eating. It sucks, but it happens.

There have been a few evenings here and there where I've picked up a gluten pizza for the kids because I was too exhausted to really cook anything. I think I had a bowl of popcorn for dinner. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mamabear272 Explorer

I don't bring things that I can't eat. Period.

If my family said I couldn't bring my own food, I wouldn't go. In-laws or not.

I'm with you. If I can't eat it, I'm not bringing it. I will either buy a gluten-free alternative or make a gluten-free alternative. Don't like it? Don't eat it! It's probably not that different from yours anyway! :lol:

Archived