EJR

Hives

Rate this topic

Two days ago I developed a number of red, itchy, hives? on the back of one leg (from the knee down).

The old welts look slightly dried up and new ones keep appearing higher up on the leg.

There is one on my other leg. At least 10 or so on the affected leg. They are fairly large and

really itchy. The skin on my back feels itchy but no sign of hives.

Anyone have experience with hives? I also have extreme lower abdominal bloating and abdominal pain but

this is almost a daily occurrence no matter what I eat so I'm not sure if the two are related at all. My liver enzymes

were elevated the last time I saw the doctor. Was retested so will see on Monday if they are still high. I had done

a gluten challenge the day before the first blood test was taken.

I have been mainly gluten free for 1 1/2 years. Enterolab testing showed elevated anti-gliadian antibodies and

a main celiac gene (DQ8) and a gluten sensitivity gene.

The last time I had hives was many years ago and believe it or not they were from chewing gum (any

kind would do the trick). Still don't really understand this allergy.

About 18 years ago all of my body broke out in something that the dermatologist called eczema. It was dreadfully

itchy....I could only wear a sheet for almost a week. Treated with steroid creams. Left my skin very sensitive to polyester

and many other materials and products.

I get terrible red, itchy welts from swimming in many lakes and used to get hives a lot as a child from pork and strawberries.

Am I going back to my childhood (I'm 63 years old now). I seem to be developing allergies and food intolerances

to everything. I was President of the SPCA here for many years and 5 years ago I developed a serious allergy to

cats, dust, weeds and mold. Then eggs and also became lactose intolerant. Since gall bladder removal have been

unable to eat gluten or nuts, corn, rice. Yikes! Have lost 50 lbs since Dec. 2007.

And now I'm getting hives from something. Laundry detergent is the same. I cannot figure out why these red, itchy

hives are almost exclusively appearing on one leg. Everyday there seems to be a few knew ones. The only new foods

I had introduced were fresh dates (I checked re gluten free) and baked apples. Have removed these today to see if it makes any difference.

Thanks for any opinions or feedback.

Itchy Joyce

Nightshades, especially potato or tomato?

I have been mainly gluten free for 1 1/2 years. Enterolab testing showed elevated anti-gliadian antibodies and

a main celiac gene (DQ8) and a gluten sensitivity gene. Itchy Joyce

Mainly gluten free wont' do it. Try going gluten free to see if the rash goes away.