This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Sensitive To Wheat, Corn And Rice!

canadoc

canadoc Newbie

After 30 yrs managing my Wheat Gluten sensitivety well, I now find myself reacting fiercely (I mean up all night) to rice and corn as well. Anybody else in this predicament?

I am using Quinoa, Buckwheat, Millet, all the bean flours, and of course potatoes in every way.

Does anyone know of recipes involving only these flours plus tapioca? I would like to eat pancakes, pie, pizza and cakes/muffins, again, sometime.... Can they be made of these flours?

How about good African or Indian recipes with Garbanzo flour, sorghum etc. Should be able to make at least a flatbread.

I may have to commission a chef to create recipes.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

purple Community Regular

After 30 yrs managing my Wheat Gluten sensitivety well, I now find myself reacting fiercely (I mean up all night) to rice and corn as well. Anybody else in this predicament?

I am using Quinoa, Buckwheat, Millet, all the bean flours, and of course potatoes in every way.

Does anyone know of recipes involving only these flours plus tapioca? I would like to eat pancakes, pie, pizza and cakes/muffins, again, sometime.... Can they be made of these flours?

How about good African or Indian recipes with Garbanzo flour, sorghum etc. Should be able to make at least a flatbread.

We use Bob's Red Mill flour (contains some of those you mentioned, no corn or rice)for these delicious waffles:

Open Original Shared Link

I use 1 1/2 cups any milk and either one of these: syrup/honey/agave nectar.

You would need a corn starch free baking powder (google for a recipe to make your own).

No xanthan gum needed.

Glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com might be helpful, she knows alot about substitutions and her recipes are amazing. She loves buckwheat.

My favorite gluten-free flour mix:

Carols Mix

1 1/2 cups sorghum

1 1/2 cups cornstarch or potato starch

1 cup tapioca flour

I use this mix for cookies/cakes/muffins/sweet breads.

Sorghum and millet make great tasting english muffins. Karina uses them in her bread recipe.

mushroom Proficient

Here are some ideas from google. One of them you will have to substitute for the 1/2 cup rice flour; maybe tapioca, or half tapioca half buckwheat.

RDR Apprentice

Roben Ryberg's books and Carol Fenster's books are perfect in this respect. Especially Roben's newest "You Won't Believe It's Gluten-free" and "Gluten-free Kitchen" and Carol's "1000 Gluten-free Recipes" and "Quick and Easy". Carol even has a website Open Original Shared Link with her flour combinations and some sample recipes to try.

Maggie Mermaid Apprentice

"You Won't Believe It's Gluten-Free" by Roben Ryberg is a cookbook in which the majority of the recipes are structured to use a single flour or starch. I've made the potato starch-based muffins and cakes & they come out pretty good. There are recipes for sweet breads, pizza crust, rolls, & pie crust as well as main dishes.

opus88 Newbie

Coconut flour! It's soooo good, and easy to work with. It does require extra eggs, but you didn't mention that being a problem, so I'm hoping it will work for you.

See my review on the cookbook I use often: Open Original Shared Link

missy'smom Collaborator

I just echo what's already been said. I had to eliminate corn from kiddo's diet for a while and used the flour blend that I've been using all along-Carol Fenster's with the sorghum, tapioca and poatato instead of the corn starch. Then I googled homemade baking powder recipe and used that. So far, have just used it for pancakes, following the recipe from Carol Fenster's gluten-free Quick and Esay cookbook as mentioned by another poster. Couldn't see any difference from when we made it before with the corn based ingredients. This may have been the formula I used. Open Original Shared Link

I was making muffins with all almond meal before and liked the flavor and texture. Much easier than mixing gluten-free flours! They usually call for a greater ratio of eggs. Look under low-carb or grain-free baking. Same goes for flax meal, although with flax you have to be careful to keep it frozen or refrigerated. It can deteriorate quickly and taste yucky if it's not fresh.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived