This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

New Symptoms? New/Worsening Sensitivity?

BigDogz

BigDogz Explorer

I've read that many of you have had milk sensitivities in addition to your gluten issues. Before we discovered my gluten problem, I was convinced that lactose intolerance was at the root of my intestinal symptoms. I started using Lactaid and it seemed to help initially. Over time, my intestinal symptoms worsened, both in severity and number, and it became obvious that dairy products weren't the only issue. After developing a number of neurological symptoms and vitamin deficiencies, testing was done for gluten sensitivity. As a DQ2.2, I was advised to go gluten-free and, after doing so, my symptoms, neurologic and intestinal, did a complete 180 and I was feeling great.

I was so heartened by my 'recovery' that I decided that I would try adding dairy back into my diet, thinking that it was the gluten that had been the root of my problems all along. I started slow and was ecstatic to find that I could once again eat yogurt, ice cream, cheese, etc. without the debilitating cramps, bloating and gas that I'd experienced before. I was even more convinced that I had been mistaken that dairy was a problem for me and that everything rested on my gluten reactions. Quite a few posts that I've seen here have noted that folks were able to add dairy back into their diets once they'd been on the gluten-free diet long enough to heal, so it added more weight to my deductions.

I went along just fine since July eating dairy. At one point, it had been so long since I'd been able to enjoy a simple bowl of ice cream that I was eating one every night for snack! As I said - no symptoms. In the past 2-3 weeks, though, I've noticed a change. More than a few times, I've noticed some stomach pains (similar to those I get with gluten) after my morning yogurt or a small serving of gluten-free pudding and I've even had some intestinal cramping, although MUCH milder than before. I've also had several bouts of vertigo that seemed to coincide with dairy consumption but I couldn't connect them with any real degree of certainty...until this weekend. I had a moderately sized bowl of ice cream about 1/2 hour before I went to bed last night. I woke up extremely dizzy. Thought it was just because I got up late and was really hungry. Ate a few apple slices while I made some gluten-free pancakes for breakfast. Dizziness improved before I sat down to eat. Forgot I needed a little milk for the pancake recipe, didn't have any...used a bit of cream, instead. A short time after eating, the dizziness returned and was so bad at the 2 hour mark that I crawled back into bed and slept for 3 hours. Woke up dizzier than ever, nauseous, feeling like crap. Thought maybe I was dizzy because my sugar was low. Tested - 94...perfect. Took a Claritin thinking that maybe I had some fluid/congestion in my ears that was killing my balance and causing the vertigo. Dizziness didn't go completely away but it did back off to the point that I could barely notice it. Decided to eat a bedtime snack. Wasn't thinking and grabbed a bowl of ice cream. Not long after - headache and I'm so dizzy I can't walk a straight line. Even seated in the chair at the computer I feel like my head's spinning and that I'm in danger of falling off the chair. All I have to do to increase the sensation is just move my eyes, but moving my head...WOW! Talk about vertigo!!

Since these symptoms have occurred 3 times now directly after ingesting dairy, I'm inclined to connect the ingestion with the symptoms. Since I did so well with dairy for so long (5 months), why would I be having these symptoms now? Have any of you noted that other food sensitivities have crept to the forefront now that you've gone gluten-free and "cured" your gluten reaction? Have any of you that react to dairy had similar symptoms?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sandsurfgirl Collaborator

I'm newly diagnosed and only gluten free for 7 days, so during my healing process I'm avoiding dairy and soy too.

Here's my opinion. I think dairy is in general just tough to digest. I mean it's milk for baby cows and all. I would guess that either some of the dairy you are eating has gluten in it, you are sensitive to dairy, or both. I've heard the argument that we are the only species who consumes milk from another species and who eats milk after weaning, so therefore dairy is bad. I've also heard the argument that we are the only species who do a lot of things and that we are different from animal species in so many ways so the above argument makes no sense. There are some studies on dairy products that suggest that they aren't all they are cracked up to be and in countries who eat the most dairy, they have the most osteoporosis, since the calcium in dairy doesn't actually go to your bones. It takes so much calcium to process the dairy that it actually uses up your reserves. So I'm not entirely convinced that dairy is so good for you in general.

However dairy tastes great and if I can eat some of it, I will do so once I'm healed. I will always consider myself lactose intolerant and use it in moderation. I haven't been able to eat ice cream without throwing up for years so if I can do that I will be thrilled. I mean who doesn't love ice cream?

I would make sure that there is no gluten in your dairy products. Then I would go off dairy for a few days or a week. Then introduce it back and eat it in moderation.

I was told that lactose intolerance was the reason for all my problems too. Lactose intolerance can be so severe it puts you in the hospital according to the GI doc, so even though you can eat dairy, it's not something to mess around with and go nuts. You may still be lactose intolerant and it just took this long for your body to revolt. It sounds like you have been eating a lot of dairy and eating it daily, and I think you just won't be able to do that. Maybe you just had a bit too much of a dairy party from your excitement and you need to give it a rest. LOL

Good luck! I hope that you feel better soon.

Fields Newbie

I've read that many of you have had milk sensitivities in addition to your gluten issues. Before we discovered my gluten problem, I was convinced that lactose intolerance was at the root of my intestinal symptoms. I started using Lactaid and it seemed to help initially. Over time, my intestinal symptoms worsened, both in severity and number, and it became obvious that dairy products weren't the only issue. After developing a number of neurological symptoms and vitamin deficiencies, testing was done for gluten sensitivity. As a DQ2.2, I was advised to go gluten-free and, after doing so, my symptoms, neurologic and intestinal, did a complete 180 and I was feeling great.

I was so heartened by my 'recovery' that I decided that I would try adding dairy back into my diet, thinking that it was the gluten that had been the root of my problems all along. I started slow and was ecstatic to find that I could once again eat yogurt, ice cream, cheese, etc. without the debilitating cramps, bloating and gas that I'd experienced before. I was even more convinced that I had been mistaken that dairy was a problem for me and that everything rested on my gluten reactions. Quite a few posts that I've seen here have noted that folks were able to add dairy back into their diets once they'd been on the gluten-free diet long enough to heal, so it added more weight to my deductions.

I went along just fine since July eating dairy. At one point, it had been so long since I'd been able to enjoy a simple bowl of ice cream that I was eating one every night for snack! As I said - no symptoms. In the past 2-3 weeks, though, I've noticed a change. More than a few times, I've noticed some stomach pains (similar to those I get with gluten) after my morning yogurt or a small serving of gluten-free pudding and I've even had some intestinal cramping, although MUCH milder than before. I've also had several bouts of vertigo that seemed to coincide with dairy consumption but I couldn't connect them with any real degree of certainty...until this weekend. I had a moderately sized bowl of ice cream about 1/2 hour before I went to bed last night. I woke up extremely dizzy. Thought it was just because I got up late and was really hungry. Ate a few apple slices while I made some gluten-free pancakes for breakfast. Dizziness improved before I sat down to eat. Forgot I needed a little milk for the pancake recipe, didn't have any...used a bit of cream, instead. A short time after eating, the dizziness returned and was so bad at the 2 hour mark that I crawled back into bed and slept for 3 hours. Woke up dizzier than ever, nauseous, feeling like crap. Thought maybe I was dizzy because my sugar was low. Tested - 94...perfect. Took a Claritin thinking that maybe I had some fluid/congestion in my ears that was killing my balance and causing the vertigo. Dizziness didn't go completely away but it did back off to the point that I could barely notice it. Decided to eat a bedtime snack. Wasn't thinking and grabbed a bowl of ice cream. Not long after - headache and I'm so dizzy I can't walk a straight line. Even seated in the chair at the computer I feel like my head's spinning and that I'm in danger of falling off the chair. All I have to do to increase the sensation is just move my eyes, but moving my head...WOW! Talk about vertigo!!

Since these symptoms have occurred 3 times now directly after ingesting dairy, I'm inclined to connect the ingestion with the symptoms. Since I did so well with dairy for so long (5 months), why would I be having these symptoms now? Have any of you noted that other food sensitivities have crept to the forefront now that you've gone gluten-free and "cured" your gluten reaction? Have any of you that react to dairy had similar symptoms?

Fields Newbie

Fields Newbie

I too had started to improve after 12 months of being gluten free - long journey. I added gluten free vitamins 2 weeks ago and after a week started feeling dizzy and fatigued again as well. I was beginning to question if there was anything in the vitamins causing the reaction. I hadn't considered the dairy component but may revisit that since reading your post. Due to low bone density I had increased my ice cream intake but may question that now. Good luck to you and thanks for another idea for myself.I'm going to stop the vitamins and cut back on the dairy to see if I can find some improvement. Frustrating hardly touches the life of a Celiac sufferer.

Archived