kenlove

Gluten-Free Formulations

Rate this topic

Datem may boost gluten-free formulations

By Stephen Daniells, 18-Jan-2010

Datem emulsifiers with carefully chosen gums like xanthan may enhance the formulation of rice bread for the gluten-free market, says new research.

Writing in the peer-reviewed Journal of Food Engineering, Turkish researchers report that using Datem emulsifiers with rice dough produced rice bread with good volume and sensory characteristics.

I have seen Datem in a couple ingredient labels. Do you know what is it made from?

I have seen Datem in a couple ingredient labels. Do you know what is it made from?

Nearest I can tell, it's derived from fatty acids which have undergone some kind of chemical reaction. The word "tartaric" suggests tartaric acid is involved in the process. A search reveals there are other types which make use of citric acid instead.

However, other articles seem to suggest that Datem might not be preferable over some other stuff on the market. One reason is, apparently, some emulsifiers allow the manufacturer to omit it from the ingredients list. Here's another article on the subject, and at the bottom of it there are links to other related articles: http://www.foodnavigator.com/Product-Categories/Cultures-enzymes-yeast/Study-tests-emulsifier-vs.-enzyme-performance-in-bread

Nearest I can tell, it's derived from fatty acids which have undergone some kind of chemical reaction. The word "tartaric" suggests tartaric acid is involved in the process. A search reveals there are other types which make use of citric acid instead.

However, other articles seem to suggest that Datem might not be preferable over some other stuff on the market. One reason is, apparently, some emulsifiers allow the manufacturer to omit it from the ingredients list. Here's another article on the subject, and at the bottom of it there are links to other related articles: http://www.foodnavigator.com/Product-Categories/Cultures-enzymes-yeast/Study-tests-emulsifier-vs.-enzyme-performance-in-bread

Thanks for the link I will check it out. So far it's not sounding like something I want to eat.