This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Walmart Labeled Item "Gluten Free" But States May Contain Wheat!

Darissa

Darissa Contributor

I just returned from Wal-mart. I purhcased the Great Value brand Louisiana Hot Sauce. It states right on the front of the label "Naturally Gluten - Free Food", as do many of of their products. But, in the ingredient statement under Allergy Warning it states : May contain races of anchovies, peanuts, WHEAT and soy.

I am so mad. We purchase many Great - Value products from Walmart due to their labeling process because many of their food items are labeled as Gluten Free. How can they label an item GLuten Free if it may contain Wheat? I am so so so mad. I talked to the store manager and didn't even get an apology. I emailed the corporate headquarters, but have not recieved a response yet.

Please be carefull from now on when you buy "great value" brand items from Wal-Mart that are labeled gluten free. Be sure to check the allergy statement also. I am so mad, not sure where to go from here to get this changed. Any suggestions?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

elle's mom Contributor

I just returned from Wal-mart. I purhcased the Great Value brand Louisiana Hot Sauce. It states right on the front of the label "Naturally Gluten - Free Food", as do many of of their products. But, in the ingredient statement under Allergy Warning it states : May contain races of anchovies, peanuts, WHEAT and soy.

I am so mad. We purchase many Great - Value products from Walmart due to their labeling process because many of their food items are labeled as Gluten Free. How can they label an item GLuten Free if it may contain Wheat? I am so so so mad. I talked to the store manager and didn't even get an apology. I emailed the corporate headquarters, but have not recieved a response yet.

Please be carefull from now on when you buy "great value" brand items from Wal-Mart that are labeled gluten free. Be sure to check the allergy statement also. I am so mad, not sure where to go from here to get this changed. Any suggestions?

We had the same problem with their "naturally gluten-free" 4oz cans of green chilles. It also says it may contain traces of wheat on the back. My husband bought them instead of our usual, Old El Paso, because they were cheaper, as he noticed the front label. Then I noticed what it said on the back when he brought them home, I threw them right in the garbage! I agree with you; I am SO MAD :angry: I guess if enough of us called/emailed corporate maybe we'd get somewhere, but who knows. I am generally not a fan of WalMart anyway.

Lisa Mentor

That is the way of the gluten free world.

Most companies will list a "disclaimer" that their product MAY contain traces of bla, bla, bla. Your product may not contain any gluten ingredients, but in the manner of full disclosure, Great Value chose to inform you that they MAY be a trace allergen. GOOD FOR THEM!

Which means:

1. There product is produced in a facility that also produces wheat (or other) products.

2. They cannot guarantee that their supplier's facility does not contain Wheat(or other) products.

3. They do not test to guarantee 100% gluten free product status.

ALWAYS read the ingredient listing. Secondly, read the disclaimer on the allergen statement and make your own educated choice.

I personally don't slam companies who disclose all their information. It allows me to make an informed choice. No need to be mad. :D

elle's mom Contributor

That is the way of the gluten free world.

Most companies will list a "disclaimer" that their product MAY contain traces of bla, bla, bla. Your product may not contain any gluten ingredients, but in the manner of full disclosure, Great Value chose to inform you that they MAY be a trace allergen. GOOD FOR THEM!

Which means:

1. There product is produced in a facility that also produces wheat (or other) products.

2. They cannot guarantee that their supplier's facility does not contain Wheat(or other) products.

3. They do not test to guarantee 100% gluten free product status.

ALWAYS read the ingredient listing. Secondly, read the disclaimer on the allergen statement and make your own educated choice.

I personally don't slam companies who disclose all their information. It allows me to make an informed choice. No need to be mad. :D

I think the part that mad us so mad was not that they printed the "may contain traces of wheat" statement, that is fine, actually appreciated when companies do this. The problems is more their advertising tactic which in much larger letters places on the front of the label " A NATURALLY GLUTEN FREE FOOD". This should not be allowed. WalMart is the only company that I've seen so far do this and I've noticed it on more than one occasion.

I look at it this way: It would be like something saying NO CALORIES on the front, then on the back in the nutrition content, there actually being a few calories in the food. NO, the labeling laws would require this to say LOW IN CALORIES instead. It all boils down to the labeling laws. It's a shame that those of us trying to stay gluten free have to deal with this, it just makes it so hard for those of us still learning. We know getting mad doesn't help, but you cannot really blame us for getting mad.

psawyer Proficient

I'm puzzled by this, but for a different reason. The term "naturally gluten-free" is supposed to be used for situations where it is an inherent trait of the food. Potatoes are naturally gluten-free, as there is only one ingredient and it does not contain gluten. Another way of saying it is to say "these potatoes, like all potatoes, are gluten-free." You can't say "Gluten-Free Potatoes" because that would be misleading--it implies that potatoes that are NOT gluten-free exist.

But hot sauce? That is a multiple ingredient item that could well have a gluten-containing ingredient. It is not "naturally gluten-free" in my mind.

The law about labeling applies only to ingredients intentionally included in the food. Disclosure of possible cross-contamination is entirely voluntary, so don't assume that a facility is gluten-free just because you don't see an advisory label.

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

I worried about their change in labeling when it first appeared. I have not had any problem with their green chilies.

Hot sauce, now I won't buy any thing but Frank's Hot Sauce. Excellent taste and flavor. Nothing compares to this great hot sauce.

I'm going to have to buy some for tomorrow! Love those chiles.

Lisa Mentor

I would tend to agree with Peter. When a product is a called "Naturally Gluten Free", it would intimate that there would be a singular ingredient or at the most minimal. A banana is naturally gluten free.

A product with multiple ingredients would not be considered "naturally gluten free".

There is your argument!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

elle's mom Contributor

I'm puzzled by this, but for a different reason. The term "naturally gluten-free" is supposed to be used for situations where it is an inherent trait of the food. Potatoes are naturally gluten-free, as there is only one ingredient and it does not contain gluten. Another way of saying it is to say "these potatoes, like all potatoes, are gluten-free." You can't say "Gluten-Free Potatoes" because that would be misleading--it implies that potatoes that are NOT gluten-free exist.

But hot sauce? That is a multiple ingredient item that could well have a gluten-containing ingredient. It is not "naturally gluten-free" in my mind.

I was actually referring to the green chilles being labeled "naturally gluten free" not the hot sauce, sorry to confuse with the original posters product.

Darissa Contributor

After my shopping trip today, I came home and checked many of my items from the Great Value brand. Many things are listed as "Naturally Gluten - Free Food" and none of them are single ingredient items..everything from the cottage cheese, parmesan cheese, worcestershire sauce, spray whipped cream and many more items. SO, I am not sure what they are meaning when they label things as "Naturally GLuten Free Food". I just am thankful we did not use the hot sauce we bought. I guess what is so frustrating is...I get so happy when things are labeled gluten free, and than for it to be labeled as such, in big bold letters, and than it not be, it just kinda burst my bubble :) I try to support companies who label their products gluten free. I am curious what the response will be from WalMart. Thank you for letting me vent!

Lisa Mentor

After my shopping trip today, I came home and checked many of my items from the Great Value brand. Many things are listed as "Naturally Gluten - Free Food" and none of them are single ingredient items..everything from the cottage cheese, parmesan cheese, worcestershire sauce, spray whipped cream and many more items. SO, I am not sure what they are meaning when they label things as "Naturally GLuten Free Food". I just am thankful we did not use the hot sauce we bought. I guess what is so frustrating is...I get so happy when things are labeled gluten free, and than for it to be labeled as such, in big bold letters, and than it not be, it just kinda burst my bubble :) I try to support companies who label their products gluten free. I am curious what the response will be from WalMart. Thank you for letting me vent!

At this time, there is no legal standard for items labeled "gluten free". It's in the works and hopefully it will be soon.

But, never replace label reading. It won't fail you.

Darissa Contributor

Wal-Mart's reply to my compliant: I recieved this email today. I found many other products from the Great Value brand today that are labeled gluten free, but also states may contain wheat...that includes the pizza sauce, spaghetti sauce, diced tomatoes, tomatoe juice, tomatoe sauce. Be sure to check all of the label, not just the part that says gluten free!

Here is their reply:

Thank you for your message.

Dear Darissa, Thank you for your contacting us regarding our Great Value hot sauce. We recognize the importance of labeling gluten-free products appropriately and apologize for the confusion caused when a secondary allergen warning is placed on a product labeled "gluten-free." It has come to our attention that a small number of Great Value products contain both a gluten-free label and a statement indicating that the product "may contain traces of wheat." While the products contain no gluten or gluten derivatives as part of the ingredient list, they are processed in plants where products containing wheat are also processed.

Although the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) allows a product to be labeled "gluten-free" if it contains less than 20 parts per million of prohibited grains, it is not our intention to confuse customers.

To that end, we are reviewing labeling on all "naturally gluten free" products and will take appropriate remedial actions. The health and safety of our customers is paramount. Should you have any concern about a "gluten-free" item purchased at Walmart, please return it to your local store for a full refund. If you have any additional questions about the product you have purchased or if we can be of any further assistance, you may contact us by visiting www.walmartstores.com and clicking on the contact us link or by phone @ 1-877-505-2267. For future questions regarding product ingredients, nutritional facts, preparation instructions and more, click the grocery link at www.walmart.com. Sincerely, Chaz DawsonGreat Value Customer Contact Team

Lisa Mentor

Wal-Mart's reply to my compliant: I recieved this email today. I found many other products from the Great Value brand today that are labeled gluten free, but also states may contain wheat...that includes the pizza sauce, spaghetti sauce, diced tomatoes, tomatoe juice, tomatoe sauce. Be sure to check all of the label, not just the part that says gluten free!

Here is their reply:

Dear Darissa, Thank you for your contacting us regarding our Great Value hot sauce. We recognize the importance of labeling gluten-free products appropriately and apologize for the confusion caused when a secondary allergen warning is placed on a product labeled "gluten-free." It has come to our attention that a small number of Great Value products contain both a gluten-free label and a statement indicating that the product "may contain traces of wheat." While the products contain no gluten or gluten derivatives as part of the ingredient list, they are processed in plants where products containing wheat are also processed.

Although the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) allows a product to be labeled "gluten-free" if it contains less than 20 parts per million of prohibited grains, it is not our intention to confuse customers.

To that end, we are reviewing labeling on all "naturally gluten free" products and will take appropriate remedial actions. The health and safety of our customers is paramount. Should you have any concern about a "gluten-free" item purchased at Walmart, please return it to your local store for a full refund. If you have any additional questions about the product you have purchased or if we can be of any further assistance, you may contact us by visiting www.walmartstores.com and clicking on the contact us link or by phone @ 1-877-505-2267. For future questions regarding product ingredients, nutritional facts, preparation instructions and more, click the grocery link at www.walmart.com. Sincerely, Chaz DawsonGreat Value Customer Contact Team

WELL DONE DARISSA! Instead of complaining, you took action, with a wonderful result!

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Here is their reply:

We likely can soon expect the gluten free label to disappear from Walmart Brand foods or worse they will drop the CC warning as they are not required to have one in the first place. IMHO this company was acting responsibly about possible CC issues. They were letting us know and make an informed choice. Many of their items that carry the 'processed in the same facility' label are most likely fine for us.

psawyer Proficient

We likely can soon expect the gluten free label to disappear from Walmart Brand foods or worse they will drop the CC warning as they are not required to have one in the first place. IMHO this company was acting responsibly about possible CC issues. They were letting us know and make an informed choice. Many of their items that carry the 'processed in the same facility' label are most likely fine for us.

I agree. The existing label is honest and informative. I expect any "remedial action" will make it less so.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I agree. The existing label is honest and informative. I expect any "remedial action" will make it less so.

Exactly. There are countless companies that don't label CC risk, one chip company and a company that makes rice milk come right to mind. If we attack the companies that do label CC risk we are IMHO going after the wrong folks and risking a step backwards.

Lisa Mentor

Agreed...but should they (Walmart) continue to produce conflicting information?

A fully disclosed ingredient list should be clear. A marketing ploy such as "Naturally Gluten Free" should hold NO disclaimers!

Darissa Contributor

The problem is the misleading labeling of their products, not the fact that they list possible CC. No one disputes that it is a benefit that Wal-Mart labels things if it is "made in facility that contains wheat" or "may contain traces of wheat". The real issue is when they also put a "naturally gluten free food" or "gluten free" label on the front of the item or packaging, and than state in the allergy statement "may contain traces of wheat". All I am saying is they should not label things as gluten free if they are not.

woodnewt Rookie

This is not surprising. "Gluten-free" with no law or guidelines to back it up means "gluten free" is a diet fad right now. Never mind it is currently the only treatment for people who suffer from celiac disease. In corporate eyes it's a marketing gimmick to make extra cash.

The logic is quite simple really.

Can of PAM oil spray - you look at the back, it says 0 g fat per serving.

It's a can of oil.

<1g fat per serving = 0 fat = purchases from the low-fat fad diet crowd.

Until there are official guidelines set in place, "we didn't add any gluten ingredients" = "gluten free."

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Agreed...but should they (Walmart) continue to produce conflicting information?

A fully disclosed ingredient list should be clear. A marketing ploy such as "Naturally Gluten Free" should hold NO disclaimers!

The disclaimer isn't really for the food it is for the plant it was processed in. Walmart gets it's products from all over the world. They can't possibly know for sure that the plant in, for example China, is doing what need to done to clean it's lines. It is IMHO better for them to acknowledge this honestly rather than just saying 'gluten free' or 'naturally gluten free food' and leaving the disclaimer off.

Would you rather they just used the gluten-free label and didn't warn of the possibility of CC? Then you could search for days for 'what got you' rather than being able to more easily narrow down the suspect item.

meldizzle Newbie

THANKS FOR THE INFO!! I HAVE CONTACTED WALMART NUMEROUS TIMES WITHOUT RESULTS. DID YOU CONTACT A WALMART STORE OR CORPORATE OFFICE?

Lisa Mentor

The disclaimer isn't really for the food it is for the plant it was processed in. Walmart gets it's products from all over the world. They can't possibly know for sure that the plant in, for example China, is doing what need to done to clean it's lines. It is IMHO better for them to acknowledge this honestly rather than just saying 'gluten free' or 'naturally gluten free food' and leaving the disclaimer off.

Would you rather they just used the gluten-free label and didn't warn of the possibility of CC? Then you could search for days for 'what got you' rather than being able to more easily narrow down the suspect item.

K, I don't want you to misunderstand me. :) You know that I support those company's who fully disclose. But the way that Walmart discloses may be confusing to many, as resulting in this tread.

IF there are no gluten ingredients,without the standard in place for gluten free labeling, listing a product as gluten free, would seem reasonable. Advertising a product as "naturally gluten free" and then, the disclaimer, "it may contain traces..." can cause great confusion.

It would be preferable, IMHO, to advertise a product as "NO GLUTEN INGREDIENTS" and "PRODUCED IN A FACILITY THAT ALSO PRODUCES WHEAT.... That way, a consumer can make an informed choice.

To me, a "Naturally Gluten Free" product is a banana, apple, an orange, potato, rice, carrots, broccoli. To list Great Value Hot Sauce as "Naturally Gluten Free" is deceptive. . That's what bothers me. It's marketing to the "trend", falsely.

I am pleased with their CYA Disclaimer.

Salax Contributor

To me, a "Naturally Gluten Free" product is a banana, apple, an orange, potato, rice, carrots, broccoli. To list Great Value Hot Sauce as "Naturally Gluten Free" is deceptive. . That's what bothers me. It's marketing to the "trend", falsely.

I agree. It's a confusing statement and possibly deceptive. And if I was still a "noobie" at this I would be confused. I imagine that perhaps some newer Celiac's are. :unsure:

elle's mom Contributor

Would you rather they just used the gluten-free label and didn't warn of the possibility of CC?

NO! Obviously no one would rather this. PLEASE understand that it is not the disclosure statement that any of us have a problem with; IT'S THE MISLEADING LABEL ON THE FRONT....the words "gluten free" should never be accompanied by "may contain wheat". They need to take the gluten free off the front, leave the disclaimer on the back and I think everyone would be happy.

Darissa Contributor

THANKS FOR THE INFO!! I HAVE CONTACTED WALMART NUMEROUS TIMES WITHOUT RESULTS. DID YOU CONTACT A WALMART STORE OR CORPORATE OFFICE?

I contacted the store manager and also the corporate office. The reply that I recieved came from the corporate office. I hope people understand that I am not upset that they label things as possible CC...ie: may contain traces of wheat. I am thankful for that information. The problem arises from them labeling products as gluten free and also may contain wheat on the same product. It needs to be one way or the other. Walmart understands this from the reply they gave me. THanks!

MarcieG Newbie

Here is their reply:

I am so Happy that you got a response like that. I had a similiar issue a few days ago. I went to make gluten-free waffle pizzas and used their pizza sauce. My son has celiacs and I wanted to make a more child friendly meal. I am still very new to all of this. He was just recently diagnoised in Oct so when I saw Walmarts labels I was excited and relieved. Well when I made the waffle pizzas my son was so sick all night long and I couldn't figure it out. I finally went and looked at everything again and sure enough I read the same label you are discussing and was furious out of my mind. It makes me happy that they replied in that manner. I felt like it was false advertising so I am pleased to see that they will try and correct it.

Archived