silk

Jamaica

Rate this topic

My daughter and her fiance are planning a destination wedding to Jamaica next year. She and I are both Celiac and I am wondering if anyone has traveled there and what were your experiences with a gluten free diet. I would welcome any advice you care to give....

My daughter and her fiance are planning a destination wedding to Jamaica next year. She and I are both Celiac and I am wondering if anyone has traveled there and what were your experiences with a gluten free diet. I would welcome any advice you care to give....

I went to a destination wedding this past July at the Rock House Hotel in Negril. I did well the entire weekend - no reactions at all. I didn't speak with the hotel staff before my arrival, but I'm not sure why I didn't! I could have but instead I just took a chance. It worked out well for me anyway, but it probably would have been good for me to get some info beforehand. The food at the hotel was good. I was dying to eat some of the items on the menu (I absolutely love coconut shrimp), but some of them were breaded so I knew they were no-nos. The fried plantains looked like they were deep-fried with a light coating so I didn't eat them either. I'm used to them just being fried in a pan naked. I don't like conch but the conch fritters are obviously off limits. I think I ate jerk chicken each day of the trip. We ate it at the hotel, at a restaurant down the street and in Montego Bay. Good stuff. At the wedding reception, everything seemed to be naturally gluten-free except for the bread. There was fresh seafood including gigantic lobsters and grilled mahi-mahi, a few different kinds of salad, grilled chicken, rice and beans. I can try and find my pictures of the food if you want. The only thing that I missed out on was dessert - I just ate fresh fruit.

If you have any questions, please let me know!