Roda

Hand Sanitizer

Rate this topic

If you didn't have access to soap and water, would hand sanitizer get gluten off your hands enough to prevent cross contamination? I ask because I made my kids/husband sandwiches on a road trip and used sanitizer after touching their bread before I ate my sandwich.

That's a great question. I'm new to gluten-free. Can anyone answer this?

Thank you!!!

That's a great question. I'm new to gluten-free. Can anyone answer this?

Thank you!!!

Since gluten in not a bacteria the sanitizer part is irrelevant. I would think brushing off your hands vigorously with a towel or paper towel would be much better. We are talking particles, not killing bacteria. Or just keep a bottle of water to rinse them off. The soap part doesn't need to kill anything it only emulsifies the particles so they rinse off easier.

Since gluten in not a bacteria the sanitizer part is irrelevant. I would think brushing off your hands vigorously with a towel or paper towel would be much better. We are talking particles, not killing bacteria. Or just keep a bottle of water to rinse them off. The soap part doesn't need to kill anything it only emulsifies the particles so they rinse off easier.

Yes, I agree with Tina B. Also, make sure any hand sanitizer you use is gluten free. I read on here that Germ-X is, but I don't know about others.

Yes, I agree with Tina B. Also, make sure any hand sanitizer you use is gluten free. I read on here that Germ-X is, but I don't know about others.

If anything I would think the hand sanitizer would be worse because it stays on your hand and would adhere the crumbs to your skin.