This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Liklihood Of Multiple Children With Celiac?

KSLMom

KSLMom Newbie

Hi. This is all new to me. In a nutshell my daughter, 12, has been suffering since she was a toddler with celiac 'symptoms.' We've tried many remedies for her constant constipation, gas, bloating and pain. Finally, my S-I-L was officially diagnosed with celiac disease last year (I was under-educated at that point and neither the doc or myself considered celiac disease as a reason for her issues). Now the doctor is listening to me and is having my daughter go for a full celiac blood panel. She also wants my other children and husband tested. Is it common for siblings to all have celiac? My son is severe ADD and occasionally rashy. I've not tried a gluten free diet with him to alleviate some of his ADD symptoms. My youngest is always constipated like big sis, but with no pain or bloating. They are all in the 90th percentile size-wise, so if it is celiac, there are no growth issues. I guess I'm trying to prepare myself mentally of the prospect that they all could be positive. What is the likelihood that all 3 of my kiddos are affected (or even 2 of 3)? Does anyone else have more than one child diagnosed? Thanks! (I tried searching on this topic with no luck, feel free to post a link if this topic already exists)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jny1179 Newbie

Celiac is definitely genetic so if one child has it, it's very likely that the other do too. It's not 100% certain, but likely, since they all have varied symptoms. You might be surprised to find that your son with ADD does well on a gluten free diet, even if they don't find Celiac. Also, Celiac bloodwork is not always 100% accurate. Some people have spent years trying to get a diagnosis when bloodwork doesn't show a positive result. Don't go gluten free yet though, wait until the tests are done. Going gluten free begins the healing process and after a time can produce false negatives as well. Celiac is a tricky one to diagnose, and now they're beginning to realize that there's no such thing as a "typical" Celiac, the disease manifests itself outwardly in many many different ways.

I know it seems overwhelming right now but you've come to the right place. This is a great start for information and support. There are tons of people writing and talking about Celiac on the net, do a google search for gluten free blogs. Lots of great info on foods, tips about the disease, etc. Good luck with the testing and if they all come back positive, don't panic!! It's tough at first to find out you can't have all the foods you love anymore, but they will feel so much better in probably a short amount of time once they get the hang of the gluten free life.

jny1179 Newbie

Oh, and another note. I spent most of my life constipated, gassy, uncomfortable. I also got rashes. I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease 2 years ago via colonoscopy. I'm 29 now. I did not test positive for Celiac but after extensive research and a few trial runs, I went gluten free and it's made a HUGE difference. I feel great right now. I also avoid dairy. But that's getting into a whole other can of worms and you're already overwhelmed!

If you want, take a look at my blog, there are lots of links to other gluten free bloggers in the right sidebar as well.

www.alifeofsugarandspice.com

Jen

jny1179 Newbie

ONE more note hahaha, sorry. I just realized that your sister-in-law would be their biological aunt, right? Duh, sorry it took so long to make the family connection. Your husband should definitely get tested and all your kids!

KSLMom Newbie

ONE more note hahaha, sorry. I just realized that your sister-in-law would be their biological aunt, right? Duh, sorry it took so long to make the family connection. Your husband should definitely get tested and all your kids!

Thanks so much JNY....yes she is their aunt, my husbands sister. SIL also has graves and polycystic ovary syndrome. My oldest is having a work-up on everything auntie has. As a side note, we did go gluten free with 12 yo DD for a week. Her pain symptoms disappeared within 48 hours or so. She is eating gluten again pre-blood test. Which means delay in the result, because I'm not even bringing them for blood work until Monday. Anxious to get the results, but won't know for at least a week. Thanks again!!

taweavmo3 Enthusiast

In our case, I have one daughter who was diagnosed first at age 3. I had my other two boys tested, they tested negative, but have responded well to the diet. At the time of testing, my oldest son was lactose intolerant and had Psoriasis at the age of 6. My youngest boy always had yellow, seedy stools, constant ear infections, and would just scream and moan every morning. I figured I had nothing to lose at that point, and put them on the diet too.

My youngest daughter has been gluten free from birth, but I was still eating gluten while breastfeeding. She had a horrible case of silent reflux from birth...I cut gluten and dairy out of my diet, and both she and I were much better! I get very sick with gluten now, and my anemia is corrected, so I figure they got Celiac from me. My husband also has suspicious symtpoms, and has gone on the diet as well. It's entirely probable that our kids have two Celiac parents and just didn't stand a chance : )

The genetic link is very strong...I would have all of your kids tested, then you could try the diet to see if their symptoms improve. Take small steps, the diet change has a huge learning curve, so just take one day at a time!

luvs2eat Collaborator

I was diagnosed in my late 40s... the ONLY one in my family and extended family! My middle grown daughter was diagnosed about 4 years later, at 23. My youngest daughter has just been diagnosed at age 26... w/ celiac AND interstitial cystitis. I told the oldest, who had negative bloodwork when I was first diagnosed, to enjoy gluten now cause it appears celiac will show up sooner or later!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

seezee Explorer

This might be helpful?

Open Original Shared Link

It's an article from Scientific American on celiac disease and how it works.

Archived