Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rufus376

Been Very Hungry Lately: This Is Good Right?

Hey again, as some of you may know I'm still new to the Celiac lifestyle and I only been gluten-free for about 2 months. Lately I've noticed I've been getting very hungry very often and I was wondering if this is part of the healing process. About every few hours I get the incredible urge to eat and this is something I haven't been used to after dealing with the complete absence of hunger due to Celiac reactions before I was diagnosed. I'm just curious if anyone else experienced symptoms similar to this once they went gluten-free.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Guest gillian502

"Hungry" does not even begin to describe the feeling I went through during my first 3 or 4 months gluten-free. I really never knew anyone could eat as much and as often as I did in the beginning of this diet. It was getting to be a problem for me, because I was hungry so often at one point that it was interrupting my sleep and really ruining my day, because I never felt satisfied! Then someone suggested I add more protein, and that worked quite well. I found that eating eggs, turkey, or other sources of protein helped, especially if I started the day with foods like that, so I could stay more full for longer periods of time. This intense hunger normalized around month 3 or 4 of the diet, and also going on a PPI drug (Aciphex) worked to correct the inflammation in my stomach due to years of damage, which helped me feel more normal, too. Sounds like you're feeling the way you should for the beginning of the diet, hang in there!

Gillian

You didn't say what kind of foods you are eating. You probably need more protien and fats. Plain meats and nuts provide a good source of protien and fats. You don't need to eat as much of these to feel full and they digest slowly so you won't feel as hungry as often. If you are eating mostly plants you are eating mostly carbohydrates. While fruits and vegetables are good they digest faster than the protiens and fats.

If all the world is indeed a stage and we are merely players then will someone give me the script because I have no f!@#$%^ clue as to what is going on!

What does not kill you makes you stronger.

Nobody cares about losers and quitters never win. If you fail with the cowards then what's the message you send?

Can't get it right, no matter what I do. Might as well be me and keep fu@$ing up for you. - Brian Thomas (Halloween, the greatest metal band ever!)

Ian Moore. Self diagnosed at 36 because the doctors were clueless.

Started low-carb diet early 2004, felt better but not totally gluten-free. Went 100% gluten-free early 2005 and life has never been better.

I had extreme hunger after going gluten free, but I also got very hungry before going gluten-free as well. The hunger pains are better now than they used to be.

Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004

Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003

Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004