Christina98

Any 1 Know About Adrenal Function And Acth Stim Test

Rate this topic

I was wondering if anyone knows about this stuff.

I had a test done (a saliva test) to check the adrenals and was told I have adrenal insufficiency.

This was through a naturopathic Dr. My primary care Dr office (well endocrinologist) wants me to do a test for the adrenals called acth stim test. This is something where Synthetic cortisol is injected and they measure something with the response of the adrenals.

This is too see how bad off the adrenals are she said. The only thing is that I hear that they are only checking for the worse case scenario like (addisons)

They do not recognize any other result.

Anyone had this and can explain. Also is IT SAFE?

The Dr says yes but I really dont trust too much of what they say anymore.

Was just curious what the test will say and its covered by Insurance but I am scared if its going to put me in a kinda "fight ot flight mode" kinda like when you are experiencing something for real that raises cortisol your heart pounds and you feel scared. Panicky.

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

I have had a Stim Test and it was a breeze. It was the best I had felt in ages :)

They take a blood test to check baseline numbers. Is ACTH , aldosterone and renin being tested ? Then they inject ACTH and wait 30 mins and take another blood test, and then another 30 mins later. If you have adrenal failure ie Primary Addisons - your levels don't rise in response to the ACTH injection.

http://www.labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/acth/test.html

If you have Secondary Adrenal Insufficiency ( caused by a damaged Pituitary) then this is not the best test. You need an Insulin Stress Test where Insulin is injected in and cortisol and Growth Hormone are measured. Its not often done as its a fairly dangerous test.

http://www.merck.com/mmpe/sec12/ch153/ch153c.html

Are you on cortisone at the moment ? You need to be off it at least 2 weeks before the test. If you can't manage that - switch to Dexamethasone for 2 weeks.

Good luck!

I have had a Stim Test and it was a breeze. It was the best I had felt in ages :)

They take a blood test to check baseline numbers. Is ACTH , aldosterone and renin being tested ? Then they inject ACTH and wait 30 mins and take another blood test, and then another 30 mins later. If you have adrenal failure ie Primary Addisons - your levels don't rise in response to the ACTH injection.

http://www.labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/acth/test.html

If you have Secondary Adrenal Insufficiency ( caused by a damaged Pituitary) then this is not the best test. You need an Insulin Stress Test where Insulin is injected in and cortisol and Growth Hormone are measured. Its not often done as its a fairly dangerous test.

http://www.merck.com/mmpe/sec12/ch153/ch153c.html

Are you on cortisone at the moment ? You need to be off it at least 2 weeks before the test. If you can't manage that - switch to Dexamethasone for 2 weeks.

Good luck!

So when u had this test done was that when you found you have an adrenal issue?

I dont know what else she would be testing (alsterone or not) she said acth test to check how my adrenals function.

She did mention the other test (insulin one) and she did say it is dangerous.

I am scared of this one too though because there injecting something to make my adrenals work (or respond) I dont do well with bodily things that are induced I get scared and anxiety.What exactly did u feel when u had it done? are your adrenals ok now? did they find addisons or any other adrenal stuff?

Oh and no I am not on cortisone or anything just ambien for sleep (wich I HATE)

No - the Stim Test did not show my adrenal problem. I needed the ITT but it was too dangerous for me to have it. Based on my other hormone deficiencies and how they looked - the dx of Secondary Adrenal Insufficiency was made. Some places call it Secondary Addisons. There is no cure. I am on cortisone for life. I also take Florinef to help the sodium balance and blood pressure. I used to sleep very badly before but now I have cortisone I sleep like a log again. I used to wake at 4am with shakes and headaches - which is when the circadian cortisol day starts. I don't now. I am almost back to normal but have had to learn about cortisone a lot. Endos are usually clueless re adrenals. It is good that yours has mentioned the ITT as you may need to have that done as well. Do you think you have Primary Addisons ? ( tanned skin, salt cravings , weight loss) or Secondary ( multiple hormone failures, history of head injury/tumour ). Make sure you get fasting serum ACTH tested before the test starts. And that the Stim Test is done in the morning - pref about 8am.

I always ask the doctor how the second test will change the treatment I am going to be given. If there is no change in treatment I decline the test unless it's to check for something else.

• Upvote 1

Ads by Google:

I always ask the doctor how the second test will change the treatment I am going to be given. If there is no change in treatment I decline the test unless it's to check for something else.

thanks

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Who's Online   20 Members, 1 Anonymous, 478 Guests (See full list)

• Top Posters +

• Recent Articles

Roxanne Bracknell
    Celiac.com 06/22/2018 - The rise of food allergies means that many people are avoiding gluten in recent times. In fact, the number of Americans who have stopped eating gluten has tripled in eight years between 2009 and 2017.
    Whatever your rationale for avoiding gluten, whether its celiac disease, a sensitivity to the protein, or any other reason, it can be really hard to find suitable places to eat out. When you’re on holiday in a new and unknown environment, this can be near impossible. As awareness of celiac disease grows around the world, however, more and more cities are opening their doors to gluten-free lifestyles, none more so than the 10 locations on the list below.
    Perhaps unsurprisingly, the U.S is a hotbed of gluten-free options, with four cities making the top 10, as well as the Hawaiian island of Maui. Chicago, in particular, is a real haven of gluten-free fare, with 240 coeliac-safe eateries throughout this huge city. The super hip city of Portland also ranks highly on this list, with the capital of counterculture rich in gluten-free cuisine, with San Francisco and Denver also included. Outside of the states, several prominent European capitals also rank very highly on the list, including Prague, the picturesque and historic capital of the Czech Republic, which boasts the best-reviewed restaurants on this list.
    The Irish capital of Dublin, meanwhile, has the most gluten-free establishments, with a huge 330 to choose from, while Amsterdam and Barcelona also feature prominently thanks to their variety of top-notch gluten-free fodder.
    Finally, a special mention must go to Auckland, the sole representative of Australasia in this list, with the largest city in New Zealand rounding out the top 10 thanks to its 180 coeliacsafe eateries.
    The full top ten gluten-free cities are shown in the graphic below:

Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 06/21/2018 - Would you buy a house advertised as ‘gluten-free’? Yes, there really is such a house for sale. 
    It seems a Phoenix realtor Mike D’Elena is hoping that his trendy claim will catch the eye of a buyer hungry to avoid gluten, or, at least one with a sense of humor. D’Elena said he crafted the ads as a way to “be funny and to draw attention.” The idea, D’Elena said, is to “make it memorable.” 
    Though D’Elena’s marketing seeks to capitalizes on the gluten-free trend, he knows Celiac disease is a serious health issue for some people. “[W]e’re not here to offend anybody….this is just something we're just trying to do to draw attention and do what's best for our clients," he said. 
    Still, the signs seem to be working. D'elena had fielded six offers within a few days of listing the west Phoenix home.
    "Buying can sometimes be the most stressful thing you do in your entire life so why not have some fun with it," he said. 
    What do you think? Clever? Funny?
    Read more at Arizonafamily.com.

Advertising Banner-Ads
    Bakery On Main started in the small bakery of a natural foods market on Main Street in Glastonbury, Connecticut. Founder Michael Smulders listened when his customers with Celiac Disease would mention the lack of good tasting, gluten-free options available to them. Upon learning this, he believed that nobody should have to suffer due to any kind of food allergy or dietary need. From then on, his mission became creating delicious and fearlessly unique gluten-free products that were clean and great tasting, while still being safe for his Celiac customers!
    Premium ingredients, bakeshop delicious recipes, and happy customers were our inspiration from the beginning— and are still the cornerstones of Bakery On Main today. We are a fiercely ethical company that believes in integrity and feels that happiness and wholesome, great tasting food should be harmonious. We strive for that in everything we bake in our dedicated gluten-free facility that is GFCO Certified and SQF Level 3 Certified. We use only natural, NON-GMO Project Verified ingredients and all of our products are certified Kosher Parve, dairy and casein free, and we have recently introduced certified Organic items as well! 
    Our passion is to bake the very best products while bringing happiness to our customers, each other, and all those we meet!
    We are available during normal business hours at: 1-888-533-8118 EST.
    To learn more about us at: visit our site.

Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 06/20/2018 - Currently, the only way to manage celiac disease is to eliminate gluten from the diet. That could be set to change as clinical trials begin in Australia for a new vaccine that aims to switch off the immune response to gluten. 
    The trials are set to begin at Australia’s University of the Sunshine Coast Clinical Trials Centre. The vaccine is designed to allow people with celiac disease to consume gluten with no adverse effects. A successful vaccine could be the beginning of the end for the gluten-free diet as the only currently viable treatment for celiac disease. That could be a massive breakthrough for people with celiac disease.
    USC’s Clinical Trials Centre Director Lucas Litewka said trial participants would receive an injection of the vaccine twice a week for seven weeks. The trials will be conducted alongside gastroenterologist Dr. James Daveson, who called the vaccine “a very exciting potential new therapy that has been undergoing clinical trials for several years now.”
    Dr. Daveson said the investigational vaccine might potentially restore gluten tolerance to people with celiac disease.The trial is open to adults between the ages of 18 and 70 who have clinically diagnosed celiac disease, and have followed a strict gluten-free diet for at least 12 months. Anyone interested in participating can go to www.joinourtrials.com.
    Read more at the website for Australia’s University of the Sunshine Coast Clinical Trials Centre.

Source:
    FoodProcessing.com.au

Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 06/19/2018 - Could baking soda help reduce the inflammation and damage caused by autoimmune diseases like rheumatoid arthritis, and celiac disease? Scientists at the Medical College of Georgia at Augusta University say that a daily dose of baking soda may in fact help reduce inflammation and damage caused by autoimmune diseases like rheumatoid arthritis, and celiac disease.
    Those scientists recently gathered some of the first evidence to show that cheap, over-the-counter antacids can prompt the spleen to promote an anti-inflammatory environment that could be helpful in combating inflammatory disease.
    A type of cell called mesothelial cells line our body cavities, like the digestive tract. They have little fingers, called microvilli, that sense the environment, and warn the organs they cover that there is an invader and an immune response is needed.
    The team’s data shows that when rats or healthy people drink a solution of baking soda, the stomach makes more acid, which causes mesothelial cells on the outside of the spleen to tell the spleen to go easy on the immune response.  "It's most likely a hamburger not a bacterial infection," is basically the message, says Dr. Paul O'Connor, renal physiologist in the MCG Department of Physiology at Augusta University and the study's corresponding author.
    That message, which is transmitted with help from a chemical messenger called acetylcholine, seems to encourage the gut to shift against inflammation, say the scientists.
    In patients who drank water with baking soda for two weeks, immune cells called macrophages, shifted from primarily those that promote inflammation, called M1, to those that reduce it, called M2. "The shift from inflammatory to an anti-inflammatory profile is happening everywhere," O'Connor says. "We saw it in the kidneys, we saw it in the spleen, now we see it in the peripheral blood."
    O'Connor hopes drinking baking soda can one day produce similar results for people with autoimmune disease. "You are not really turning anything off or on, you are just pushing it toward one side by giving an anti-inflammatory stimulus," he says, in this case, away from harmful inflammation. "It's potentially a really safe way to treat inflammatory disease."
    The research was funded by the National Institutes of Health.
    Read more at: Sciencedaily.com

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Kari Santacroce

• Topics

• As your vitamin d and iron levels are low it suggests celiac disease because if I am not wrong ,your iron levels is low without any reason.  To rule out confusion you should go for celiac gene test. Because if your gene test is positive then you should go for  biopsy of small intestines to confirm the diagnosis about celiac disease.   I also have heaviness,nausea and various other symptoms I am on gluten diet since one year and my gene test is positive for celiac disease and symptoms also suggest.  So, according to my knowledge your all symptoms will get better after you start gluten free diet if you have celiac disease or gluten sensitivity.   Best of luck! 
    • I would avoid those "noodles" starches = gas right now.
      I avoid most stuff like cabbage, broccoli in all but the smallest amounts (1 leaf or 2-4 sprigs) and cook til mush. I found higher density vitamin greens to be best to avoid wasting the room I had for food, stuff like spinach, kale, butter leaf, romaine all have much higher ratios of vitamin A and K then other greens with less sugar, starches, carbs. So you can cram more in there.

Soups, during flares, I find using meat and herbs to flavor them best, I got a Pots de Herb blend that is nice from The Spice House, tested gluten free for me. But gentle herbs instead of spices...think of Italian and french cuisines. Bit of oregano, basil, rosemary, thyme, etc. Avoiding peppers, spices, and going very limited to no garlic and onions. Funny fact they make bonito flakes (dried fish) like Eden Foods, that makes a good fish flavoring if you boil them into water. Not now but later you can do this with coconut secret aminos,  wakame, or kambu for a asian fish stock for soups.

I would seriously suggest trying eggs...they have been my savoir for flares, I just cook them soft with almond milk in them in a microwave so they are moist...and soft.

I treat myself about once a month with either canned tuna, salmon, or millers crab meat (the real stuff), I found the crab easiest to digest and a super strong flavor in soups or with eggs.

But again step back and say "I will try this for the first week" "Try this the second week" etc. Step by step on how you will try stuff, I know you want to jump to it and try to see what all you can eat but you have to space it and take it every few days for your testing of yourself to be accurate.

Simple foods, the fewer ingredients the better, give yourself a low single digit number and stick to it so you do not get overwhelmed.
    • I think turkey would be great!  I am sort of thinking you might just want to do a sort of bland diet - as if you were getting over the stomach virus.  So a simple chicken soup with some cooked veggies like carrots and green beans or peas - you can then put it over rice or rice noodles if you want.  I like your idea of staying away from dairy, etc.  You can do that for a few weeks.   Grill the chicken on the grill or cook with a little olive oil in a pan - you can get a nice brown on the outside that adds a lot of flavor.  then put  little water in the pan and boil it and scrape the bottom and dump that in with the rice or veggies that are cooking.  You can throw that chicken in your soup/ rice.  If you cook fresh spinach in things - it can add a lot of spinach flavor.   I think cooked fruits or veggies are usually the easiest to digest.  But really keep it to a few things for a couple of weeks then add then when you are feeling a bit better.
    • One thing, I noticed cabbage was okay on the FODMAP plans, and even broccoli. This seems so surprising since you hear so many people say that both of those give them gas and bloating.  Do you think most veggies on the FODMAP plan would be okay during an elimination diet? Other than ones that are mentioned as no-go's on elimination diets like tomatoes, bananas?  And would canned tuna and salmon be okay.  I have heard avocado is iffy.  I was thinking tuna and avocado would be a good lunch, but now I am not sure.  But again, maybe I am getting too hung up on this, over-thinking it. Maybe just concentrate more on the main foods to avoid? (the dairy, eggs, soy, corn, oh, and potatoes, all nightshade veggies)  
    • Thank you Ennis and Kareng.  I think I was starting to get too upset over all this.  Thanks for putting up with my whining and complaints, and thank you both for offering help and suggestions. Your last two posts helped me sort of chill out and I feel I can take this one step at a time now.  Things have been busy, and I have not felt well for so long, and other things going on in life right now, and I was starting to feel so overwhelmed with everything.  I was thinking I can cook up a big batch of chicken, and I often saute green beans or roast carrots.  Would turkey be a safe choice also?  I am not sure whether to also eat beef, or try not to for a few weeks. I see it on some elimination diets, but not on others.  However, I like that idea to for now, just give up the main foods that tend to bother people (the soy, corn, dairy, eggs, grains).   I was thinking of making chicken soup also, and could put some rice in that.  But I was wondering about making some veggie soup.  But the thing is I usually add some tomato sauce to it, but if I avoid tomatoes for a few weeks too, I am trying to think what to flavor a veggie soup with during this.  I'd still put celery, but if I give up onion, bouillon cubes, tomato sauce, garlic, and spices, I am not sure what to flavor soups with.  I suppose maybe as long as there is the celery.  Then I usually do veggies like spinach (or kale or escarole), carrots, green beans, cabbage.  Although I need to go look up veggies that cause less bloating and gas, like that low FODMAP.   I thought it might help if the veggies I used during these few weeks were the less fiber and gassy ones.  And if I have a little fruit, try and pick those on the FODMAP plan?  I don't know.  I noticed some elimination diets mentioned no bananas.  There seem to be a few veggies and fruits to avoid in some of the stricter plans.  I need to also remind myself, this isn't forever. It is just to get my stomach in a better place so I can then add things one at a time to see what bothers me.  Right now I am about ready to even call the drug companies about my prescriptions to make sure there is no corn or soy in them.  One I started taking in January, and it feels like when I did that my stomach started getting a little worse, and over the past months has increasingly gotten worse again. But who knows.   Then also I will not use any spices for a while.  I know some people on this forum have good results using McCormicks, but so have had issues with it.  I use McCormicks like pretty much daily, so need to give that up also for a little while to see.  Any suggestions on a soup to make, or anything for a good staple during this?  I am also wondering if it'd be okay to eat the noodles I've been getting which the ingredients are rice flour and tapioca starch.   I had been keeping a food journal and so will get back into that habit. I stopped doing it once my stomach got better, but I need to get back into that.   Thank you both for your help.  I really appreciate it.  I finally calmed down about it.  It is still a frustrating thing, but I need so badly to figure out what is causing issues.  There are things I ate when my stomach was at its worst that seemed gentle on my stomach, like eggs, bananas, even milk (I would often have a glass of milk and a banana for breakfast).  So maybe those things will end up being okay in the long run. Or I wonder if once my stomach got used to no gluten, now it's showing me other things that are bothering it.  We'll see.     
  • Blog Entries

• Upcoming Events