This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

So What Beauty/Heath Products Are Safe?

Sunshine24

Sunshine24 Rookie

I keep reading on here that we need to watch our lipstick, our chapstick, our lotions, our shampoos, etc. I've read the lables of all the things I use and it just sounds like a chemcial factory! I buy whatever shampoo at a drugstore, lotions on my (chronically dry and cold) hands from the drugstore although the Kiehls brand is the one that works the best, regular old ChapStick brand, and MAC makeup. I am at a loss! No clue where to start. Do those "organic" health and beauty products you can get from Whole Foods make a difference for us? Can anyone point me in some direction of where I can find a safe product list?

I don't want to be accidentlly doing something wrong just by washing my hair, and I'm so new to this I just have no idea. THANK YOU!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I keep reading on here that we need to watch our lipstick, our chapstick, our lotions, our shampoos, etc. I've read the lables of all the things I use and it just sounds like a chemcial factory! I buy whatever shampoo at a drugstore, lotions on my (chronically dry and cold) hands from the drugstore although the Kiehls brand is the one that works the best, regular old ChapStick brand, and MAC makeup. I am at a loss! No clue where to start. Do those "organic" health and beauty products you can get from Whole Foods make a difference for us? Can anyone point me in some direction of where I can find a safe product list?

I don't want to be accidentlly doing something wrong just by washing my hair, and I'm so new to this I just have no idea. THANK YOU!

Garnier, Suave and Dove will all clearly label gluten ingredients. I use the Garnier hair care products including their color. Suave makes some nice lotions, although you could call the company about the one you are already using. Don't ask if it is gluten free, your liable to have them tell you not to worry because your not eating it, tell them you need to know if there are any wheat, barley or oat derived ingredients. You can also do a board search here for makeup brands etc or look through a few pages of the products threads as this is a problem that many of us have had. There are even some nice folks who have at times posted the lists of the chemical names for ingredients we need to look out for.

verushka1974 Newbie

I googled gluten free lipstick, did my research and called every single makeup company that came up with having gluten free lipstick and the only one that guarantees 100 % that their products are gluten-free,that are produced in a gluten-free facility and are tested for gluten are Afterglow Cosmetics...they are a bit expensive around $25.00 for a lipstick and that's the only thing I buy since I don't use a lot of makeup. Liptick should be a top priority since you can ingest gluten from your lipstick while eating.

You can check their website @ www.afterglowcosmetics.com

SGWhiskers Collaborator

I'm certain I've read some MAC products are gluten free. In a pinch, Cover Girl clearly labels their gluten containing ingredients. I wear Everyday Minerals and all of their makeup is gluten free. Good luck. I'll be watching to see what is recommended for hair products.

Cinderella10 Newbie

I have a Mary Kay lady who's also my friend, and when she found out I'd been diagnosed, she dove in. (It was really sweet of her.) Anyway, Mary Kay products are gluten-free.

jerseyangel Proficient

I've been using Burt's Bees Green Tea and Fennel Shampoo and Conditioner. For haircolor, I tried Garnier for the first time recently and loved it. Loreal haircolor is also safe.

Open Original Shared Link

Burt's Bees Lip Shimmers are nice and can be found almost anywhere these days. Ecco Bella, a more natural brand of makeup is all gluten-free--the vitamin E in their products is from soy. (they have other products that do contain gluten, but the cosmetic line is gluten-free) They can be found at Whole Foods.

I like Nars for foundation, blush, and mascara--their cosmetics are gluten-free (vitamin E from soybeans) and can be found at Sephora.

A lot of people here (me included) like Everyday Minerals. They have sample sizes that you can order for free to determine what shades are best for you. Their lip products are also very nice.

Afterglow Cosmetics, which advertises here (just click on the ad), is also good--I like their lipsticks. Very creamy and long lasting.

Badger Balm makes a nice lip balm, as does Burt's Bees.

Reba32 Rookie

organic cosmetics can still have gluten in them. Farmer's can grow organic wheat, barley and rye, so cosmetics makers can put them in their makeup!

I used to use Physician's Choice Organics tinted moisturizer, but it's got wheat in it, so I tossed it out. I had 2 tubes of hand lotion that had wheat germ in them, gave those to a friend. I've also discovered wheat germ in my organic shampoo and conditioner. I suspect that I will just throw out all my lipsticks. :-(

The ingredients are on the labels. Difficult to read on some of them, but they're there!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

FMcGee Explorer

I use Organix shampoo and conditioner, which are gluten-free. I e-mailed and asked. Also, Neutrogena lip products are gluten-free.

Sunshine24 Rookie

Thank you SO much, everyone! I have an appointment tomorrow with the nutrionist at the Columbia's Celiac Center, and I plan on asking her this question. I can report back here with what she says, if you like!!

Sunshine :)

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

I have a Mary Kay lady who's also my friend, and when she found out I'd been diagnosed, she dove in. (It was really sweet of her.) Anyway, Mary Kay products are gluten-free.

Glad to hear May Kay finally made their products gluten free. I called them about a year ago and they said they really didn't know because they have so many companies that make their products.

sandsurfgirl Collaborator

I get my hair colored and I have to use a high quality salon product on it or it gets damaged easily. I almost started crying at the beauty supply yesterday because ALL the products I looked at had some form of wheat. I have been a tried and true Redken girl for years and I have to say bye to them.

I looked at Aveda's site and it appears that they have quite a few products that are gluten free, but there weren't full ingredient lists online. I have emailed them and if they send me info I'll post it.

I use Suave bodywash for hand soap because of my sensitive skin. Many of them have wheat and I just realized it yesterday. So I've probably been glutening myself on accident.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

"I think herbal beauty products are safe. So i always prefer to use herbal products for my skin."

Not all herbal products are safe for us. Even if it is organic it can still contain gluten ingredients. Herbal or organic does not insure that an item is gluten free.

jenngolightly Contributor

I get my hair colored and I have to use a high quality salon product on it or it gets damaged easily. I almost started crying at the beauty supply yesterday because ALL the products I looked at had some form of wheat. I have been a tried and true Redken girl for years and I have to say bye to them.

I always bring my own hair products when I get my hair cut (shampoo/conditioner/gel). My stylist is fine with that because everything they use at the salon has hops in it (Edited to say: I've since been informed that hops are gluten-free - woohoo!). If you go somewhere and the stylist has a problem with you bringing your own shampoo/conditioner, leave! There's no way to get your hair washed at a salon without them getting it in your mouth. That sprayer gets things everywhere!

FMcGee Explorer

I always bring my own hair products when I get my hair cut (shampoo/conditioner/gel). My stylist is fine with that because everything they use at the salon has hops in it. If you go somewhere and the stylist has a problem with you bringing your own shampoo/conditioner, leave! There's no way to get your hair washed at a salon without them getting it in your mouth. That sprayer gets things everywhere!

Just FYI...

Hops doesn't have gluten - it's a flower: Open Original Shared Link

Even gluten-free beer has hops in it: Open Original Shared Link

That said, plenty of shampoos have wheat-derived ingredients, so it's worth keeping your eyes open for those! Nothing wrong with bringing your own shampoo.

sandsurfgirl Collaborator

I think herbal beauty products are safe. So i always prefer to use herbal products for my skin.

I would be very careful about that and read the labels. I have spent a lot of time lately in beauty supply stores looking at products and the herbal, organic, all natural types were the WORST of the bunch for gluten. It's wheat germ oil, and wheat this and wheat that, wheat wheat wheat in the natural stuff. Wheat is natural and great and all... if you aren't a celiac.

jenngolightly Contributor

Just FYI...

Hops doesn't have gluten - it's a flower: Open Original Shared Link

Even gluten-free beer has hops in it: Open Original Shared Link

That said, plenty of shampoos have wheat-derived ingredients, so it's worth keeping your eyes open for those! Nothing wrong with bringing your own shampoo.

Cool! I always thought that hops came from barley! Thanks for the info. Now I can use the products from my salon. Many thanks.

Reba32 Rookie

nope. Hops + barley = beer. ;) They are two entirely different plants though.

FMcGee Explorer

Cool! I always thought that hops came from barley! Thanks for the info. Now I can use the products from my salon. Many thanks.

You're most welcome! I'm glad I could help. :)

eliogabalo Newbie

My doctor told me that as far as I don't eat them I can use whatever health product I want.

Apart from toothpaste, I wouldn't be that concern about the presence of gluten in creams, gels and alike

FMcGee Explorer

My doctor told me that as far as I don't eat them I can use whatever health product I want.

Apart from toothpaste, I wouldn't be that concern about the presence of gluten in creams, gels and alike

The problem is that stuff can get in your mouth even if it isn't meant to be there. I'd been feeling crappy for awhile, realized that my lotion had gluten in it, threw it out, and now I feel better. If it was on my hands and then I ate food, it was probably getting a little on the food. And shampoo can get in your mouth when you wash your hair, too.

SGWhiskers Collaborator

I e-mailed Aveda a month ago and they gave a pretty disappointing response considering 18 months ago, I received a detailed list from them with items containing major allergens.

Also, in regards to topical skin products and gluten. I think most of us have leiarned the hard way that it really does matter if there is gluten in it. For me, it was applying blush with oats in it after a few weeks makeup free over summer vacation. Then, I got myself with a rich hand cream on fall chapped hands. It is soooooo not worth getting glutened for beauty products.

Best wishes.

"Thank you for taking the time to contact Aveda.

We appreciate you inquiring about the ingredients in Aveda products. We regret we do not have a listing of Aveda products that are gluten free to offer you. We apologize for any disappointment this may cause you.

Consumers will find ingredient listings on our primary packaging material, in accordance with FDA regulations, using names which are standard throughout the cosmetic and fragrance industry. Because of the vast number of raw materials from different sources, it is not possible to guarantee that our products are completely free of any of the grains specified. We trust that this information is helpful to you and are glad to have been of assistance.

We are happy to provide the ingredient listings for any Aveda product you are interested in using. Please contact us again with the specific names of the Aveda products you are interested in. We recommend reviewing these listings with your physician.

We invite you to call Aveda Customer Relations at 1.800.328.0849 to discuss any questions you have.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and concerns.

Sincerely,

Tricia

AVEDA - Customer Relations - Blaine

Aveda Global Consumer Communications

AKcollegestudent Apprentice

I looked at Aveda's site and it appears that they have quite a few products that are gluten free, but there weren't full ingredient lists online. I have emailed them and if they send me info I'll post it.

I use Suave bodywash for hand soap because of my sensitive skin. Many of them have wheat and I just realized it yesterday. So I've probably been glutening myself on accident.

I was a Redken girl for years; I can't use Aveda because there's something in it that just screws with my head and causes migraines. But Matrix(also known as Biolage) sells Sleek.look which is a fabulous salon product that handles my easily damaged, wavy, cranky, colored hair with no problem. (And according the the poor girl who had to deal with me for 40 minutes while searching, is gluten free.)

gaingus Rookie

I can't use anything that contains hydrolized wheat protien in it. It causes me to break out really bad with acne like sores. So for me I really have to check the labels. I personnaly don't buy the whole ingestion thing, but I know of others that don't have a problem with health and beauty items. I think it is one of those things that really depends on the person.

Archived