Diva1

Question About Casein

Rate this topic

I hope i dont sound to stupid with this question...I am off lactose completely because maybe the casein is bothering me...does it mean i can not eat cheese..like hard cheddar..and could this casein thing be temporary..... :o

Lactose and casein are two different things. Lactose is milk sugar (a carbohydrate) and casein is the milk protein. Lactose intolerance is caused by a lack of enzyme in the stomach to break down lactose into it's two component sugars. Casein intolerance is - more complicated, and can involve the immune system.

If lactose is bothering you, then you could (possibly) have things like hard cheeses and yogurt, particularly if you take the enzyme (Lactaid is a name brand one) before you eat the dairy item.

If casein is bothering you, then you can't consume *any* dairy (some people do OK with butter, but there IS a very small trace amount of casein in butter). There is nothing you can take to help the body deal with casein either.

For celiacs, temporary lactose intolerance in common. But lactose intolerance is quite common in the world-wide population as it is. (Outside of some European heritages, it is very uncommon to be able to drink milk through adulthood. That ability is relatively recent in human evolution.)

Temporary casein intolerance is possible, but not terribly common. (I now seem to be able to tolerate small amounts of casein every once in a while, six years after giving it up.)

The only thing you can really do is give it time, and test it out on yourself IF you think it's worthwhile.

Lactose and casein are two different things. Lactose is milk sugar (a carbohydrate) and casein is the milk protein. Lactose intolerance is caused by a lack of enzyme in the stomach to break down lactose into it's two component sugars. Casein intolerance is - more complicated, and can involve the immune system.

If lactose is bothering you, then you could (possibly) have things like hard cheeses and yogurt, particularly if you take the enzyme (Lactaid is a name brand one) before you eat the dairy item.

If casein is bothering you, then you can't consume *any* dairy (some people do OK with butter, but there IS a very small trace amount of casein in butter). There is nothing you can take to help the body deal with casein either.

For celiacs, temporary lactose intolerance in common. But lactose intolerance is quite common in the world-wide population as it is. (Outside of some European heritages, it is very uncommon to be able to drink milk through adulthood. That ability is relatively recent in human evolution.)

Temporary casein intolerance is possible, but not terribly common. (I now seem to be able to tolerate small amounts of casein every once in a while, six years after giving it up.)

The only thing you can really do is give it time, and test it out on yourself IF you think it's worthwhile.

thank you for the help...well explained ...