Cybele

Dh Only Associated With Celiac?

Rate this topic

I thought I had Celiac because I have a rash on my wrist and my thighs that I have had for 4+ months which kind of looks like DH from the pictures I have seen. I had asked my GI doctor and he wasn't sure, as he is not a dermatologist. I had the celiac panel blood test and an endoscopy. I tested negative for both for Celiac. I tested positive for Eosinophilic Esophagitis. Is DH only associated with Celiac or is it also associated with other diseases?

I thought I had Celiac because I have a rash on my wrist and my thighs that I have had for 4+ months which kind of looks like DH from the pictures I have seen. I had asked my GI doctor and he wasn't sure, as he is not a dermatologist. I had the celiac panel blood test and an endoscopy. I tested negative for both for Celiac. I tested positive for Eosinophilic Esophagitis. Is DH only associated with Celiac or is it also associated with other diseases?

DH is celiac, someone diagnosed with DH needs no further testing for diagnosis. I would make an appointment with a derm and ask them to biopsy for DH. They need to biopsy the area next to the rash not the rash itself. EE is also not uncommon in celiac. If you have symptoms do go ahead and try the diet. False negatives on blood and biopsy are not uncommon at all. Since you have had the endo you can start the diet. The lesions do need to be active for the biopsy but if the diet clears your other symptoms and the rash also, well you have your answer.