Rate this topic

Stressed parents looking for help! Our 5 year old son has been presumed gluten intolerant from a blood test that was initiated due to life long battles with diarhea. We have had issues for the past 6 months or better, getting him to get to the bathroom in time. With a gluten free diet the diarhea has almost completely stopped, but I can't get him to get to the bathroom on time. There are always messy pants to clean. Is this something that is common in children with Celiac or am I dealing with behavioral issues? His dad and I are about to lose our minds, or at least it feels like it. Can anyone help...if not, I am back to the doctor's office!

Stressed parents looking for help! Our 5 year old son has been presumed gluten intolerant from a blood test that was initiated due to life long battles with diarhea. We have had issues for the past 6 months or better, getting him to get to the bathroom in time. With a gluten free diet the diarhea has almost completely stopped, but I can't get him to get to the bathroom on time. There are always messy pants to clean. Is this something that is common in children with Celiac or am I dealing with behavioral issues? His dad and I are about to lose our minds, or at least it feels like it. Can anyone help...if not, I am back to the doctor's office!

Sorry to hear about this problem. My daughter is 2 1/2 and she has no problems getting to the bathroom even when its diarhea. She has been gluten free for over a year and doesnt usually have diarhea problems but she makes it to the potty usually. Good Luck

Our son had some accidents between 4-4 1/2 (after being trained for a year). Except he started out with just peeing and then it went into poop, but most especially diarrhea. At the time he was under stress. He had been in/out of doctors, hospital, doing tests, etc. for something unrelated to celiac disease (he was also undiagnosed at that point). As that went away he got better with the pee but would still accidentally not make it with the diarrhea. Once he was diagnosed (just a bit over 4 1/2) and went gluten-free we've had hardly any issues. And hardly any diarrhea.

It could be as simple as him reacting to your reaction. Maybe he doesn't know the sensation of pooping? Just some ideas but if you feel something's not right, talk to his ped.

It may be constipation - that can cause accidents in kids. The gluten-free diet can be very low in fiber. We had the same issue. What surprised me was that my daughter had very bad stomach pains and some troubles like that, but she went regularly. However when they took an xray she was full of stool. It took three clean outs before she was OK. Our GI doctor explained that the it can be in there even with diarrhea and other stuff goes around. Look up encopresis for more information and ask your GI doctor about it.

Thank you everyone for your help...just talking helps relieve some stress. Yesterday was a pretty good day. At this point we do not have a GI doc., just our group of family practioners that we all like very much. We are hoping to get both boys signed up for Little League, but I am concerned about the ramifications of him not getting to the bathroom. Not to mention just the issues we have with it at home. He and I talked a little about what could happen around the other kids and on the ball field if he waits too long and doesn't get to the potty spot. He made the comment that he would have to work hard, but seemed willing, so maybe it is just a "thing" we are going through and not a medical thing. He was potty trained, and in fact trained early and pretty easy compared to my others so it is surprising and adds to the frustration that we are going through this now.

He is more regular now and the diarhea is almost non existant. Any suggestions on how to increase fiber? I am journaling his meals and potty times (yes, I am sure I suffer from OCD! :^) ) It just is re assuring to me to know what I am feeding him and look at the whole day as far as nutrition. Thanks again for everyone's help!