Sunshine24

What Do Your Nails Look Like?

Rate this topic

About 7 years ago pre-dx, I noticed that my once strong, very nice nails started to get softer and two especially started to flatten out and get these odd vertical striations on them. Also, the white "moons" on almost all the nails are large and misshapen. I am going to assume this is an affect of the malnurishment we get from having celiac disease, but I was wondering if anyone else has this? I hope it gets better in time, once we're gluten free for a bit.

I tried to upload a picture for you for comparison, but it didn't work, so here is a link to a picture....thank you!!!

http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac89/Jasperfrecks/nails.jpg

I used to have problems with my fingernails (as well as my hair falling out by the handful) when my thyroid was out of whack with Grave's disease. Malnourishment does show up in your fingernails after a while though, as that's the last place your body is going to send fuel.

Thyroid problems and Celiac are common partners apparently.

Thanks Reba!

Every time I do another IVF, they take thyroid blood levels and it always is normal (I've done a ton of IVFs). Hmmm, so I don't think it's the thyroid causing the nail straitions, breakage and weakenss....Interesting, I am going to assume it HAS to be the C.D. But if anyone out there has nails similair to mind, I am all ears, so thank you!!!!

Sunshine

My nails were like that for years, but since starting the gluten-free diet, they have become normal. Just one more way the malabsorbtion caused by celiac disease affected me.

About 7 years ago pre-dx, I noticed that my once strong, very nice nails started to get softer and two especially started to flatten out and get these odd vertical striations on them. Also, the white "moons" on almost all the nails are large and misshapen. I am going to assume this is an affect of the malnurishment we get from having celiac disease, but I was wondering if anyone else has this? I hope it gets better in time, once we're gluten free for a bit.

I tried to upload a picture for you for comparison, but it didn't work, so here is a link to a picture....thank you!!!

http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac89/Jasperfrecks/nails.jpg

If you do a search on fingernail you will find several threads about, well, fingernails! I think this is the longest one and talks about the ridges on the nails.

Half Moons On Fingernails Lack of B-12

Or maybe this is the ridges thread...

Ridges In Fingernails Who has these??

How many IVF cycles have you done? What drugs do you take? It may be drug reactions. Hormones are nasty critters.