This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Are The True Risks Of Eating Gluten?

Magnus

KaitiUSA Enthusiast
Who sent you a PM?

I sent him a PM and no it wasnt a mean one..this is what I said:

Hey I'm sorry if I came across like I was against you or something. I know where you are coming from. Welcome to the board

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
mmm..gluten Newbie
I sent him a PM and no it wasnt a mean one..this is what I said:

Hey I'm sorry if I came across like I was against you or something. I know where you are coming from. Welcome to the board

That's not what I have in my saved items! I'd repost it, but it's so horrible that it might shock most all the membership, so I will just pretend it never happened. Although I still feel bad.. :(

KaitiUSA Enthusiast
That's not what I have in my saved items! I'd repost it, but it's so horrible that it might shock most all the membership, so I will just pretend it never happened. Although I still feel bad.. :(

haha very funny :P

skbird Contributor

I just have to say this - what's up with the political references? That has absolutely nothing to do with gluten-intolerance.

Just curious.

Stephanie

lovegrov Collaborator

"You sound like a good Hillary Clinton style democrat."

Just in case you were serious with this comment, this is NOT a political board. If you want to bash the Clintons you can go play with the folks at Freerepublic. And for Bush bashing there's alway Democratic Underground.

richard

celiac3270 Collaborator
The funny part, to me anyway, is that you choose to ignore pieces of sentences and focus on what you need to make your point. You sound like a good Hillary Clinton style democrat. Now run along and look up the word seems and close to..

;)

I ignored about 1/4 of the stuff that I didn't need to comment on. I have nothing to say about peanut butter and apples.

And that's pretty ironic that you say that. I hate Hillary Clinton and just because I come from NY doesn't mean I'm a democrat. Strong Bush-backer, in fact, but that's besides the point. I'm starting to think that I shouldn't have made that afterthought post.

My vocab. is okay, I don't need to look up either, but thank you for the suggestion. I'm 14, not 4. :angry:

mmm..gluten Newbie
I ignored about 1/4 of the stuff that I didn't need to comment on. I have nothing to say about peanut butter and apples.

And that's pretty ironic that you say that. I hate Hillary Clinton and just because I come from NY doesn't mean I'm a democrat. Strong Bush-backer, in fact, but that's besides the point. I'm starting to think that I shouldn't have made that afterthought post.

My vocab. is okay, I don't need to look up either, but thank you for the suggestion. I'm 14, not 4. :angry:

Yep, definitely a leftist gluten hater. You definitely need to lighten up...all that stress is bad for your digestive system.

:)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiac3270 Collaborator
all that stress is bad for your digestive system.

I know

P.S. Kaiti forwarded me the messages and there was no foul language in any of them. Exactly as Kaiti said.

Canadian Karen Community Regular

I think everyone needs a refresher course in board rules/guidelines:

Do not be abusive or otherwise out of line towards other board members. Show respect for each board member, no matter what you think of their post(s). This is not a place to quarrel.

mmm..gluten, we have a community here that helps one another, supports one another when one of us is down, tries to lift our spirits when we get bad news/bad results, have bad days etc. We gel very well here and we all consider ourselves very close friends. If this is the kind of atmosphere you wish to join and contribute towards, you are more than welcome to join us and learn from our mistakes, our nightmares, our experience etc. But if you truly enjoy stirring the pot/rocking the boat/irritating people, that's just not our cup of tea.....

Karen

Carriefaith Enthusiast

?

This topic has gone a little crazy :o

Back to the original post:

I have read that celiacs not on a gluten free diet have a 40% increased chance of getting cancer. That's enough for me to stay on the diet.

mommida Enthusiast

mmm...gluten,

Maybe you should go eat some gluten. People here could help you. It is ultimately up to you.

How do you feel about yourself being rude to a knowledgable 14 year-old who has proven to be more mature than you?

Laura

lol Richard! :P

Perhaps if he wants political bashing, he should come up to Canada. We seem to lead the free world in political bashing right now!!! LOL! :lol::D;)

Karen

Carriefaith Enthusiast

celiac3270 is greatly appreciated here. He has helped many people, including myself, and he should be respected. We should all respect each other.

celiac3270 Collaborator

Thank you, everyone :)

Wow...I just looked at today's top 10 posters...296 posts made today compared to an average 100 or 150...and Kaiti 25, celiac3270 25, Canadian Karen 23, mmm...gluten 20, bean 14, medaka 12, nini 12, tarnalberry 10, etc. Look at how this stirred up the board... ;)

And have you ever seen a topic with 63 replies in one day?! :o

tarnalberry Community Regular
Yeah, I had my obligatory almond rice PB&J for lunch with an apple and some yogurt. So far it's not too bad, but I am sure I am not as sick of it as you guys are..

See, maybe that's part of the problem - since you don't know about the variety of options you have, it seems like an onerous task. I haven't had an "almond rice PB&J" in months, and then it was only when I wanted one! :-) I'm definitely not sick of my food because I create as much variety as I want. (Though, being dairy free as wel is harder than just the gluten free bit...)

Some of the things I've had in the past few months - tell me if you'd get "sick of it":

homemade chicken-rice soup

beef stew

spicy shrimp and sugar pea stir-fry

chili chicken with vegetables (over rice)

new york steak, green salad with raspberry vinaigrette, and mango for dessert

waffles topped with strawberries

brownies with almonds and cranberries

tuna tacos with avocado

strawberry-pineapple smoothie

seasoned baked salmon and garlic mashed potatoes

bean soup

pumpkin pie

hearty banana bread

honey mustard bean salad with avocado

chicken cacciattore

Italian omlette

curried potatoes and cauliflower

veggetables with sun-dried tomato hummus

turkey chili

pasta with a hearty tomato sauce

chicken teryaki

pina colada ice cream

beef fajitas

sauteed lemon green beans

pasta primavera with crab

blueberry muffins

amaranth pancakes

(and, of course, all the tasty fruit that's available)

It's really not that bad of a diet, and I'm certainly not "sick of it" because there are just so many things to have.

Yep, I think I reached a new daily record today. That's what happens when someone comes in to disturb the s**t instead of discuss the s**t. :D

Karen

KaitiUSA Enthusiast
Thank you, everyone :)

Wow...I just looked at today's top 10 posters...296 posts made today compared to an average 100 or 150...and Kaiti 25, celiac3270 25, Canadian Karen 23, mmm...gluten 20, bean 14, medaka 12, nini 12, tarnalberry 10, etc. Look at how this stirred up the board... ;)

And have you ever seen a topic with 63 replies in one day?! :o

Wow we sure got some posting done today :D

celiac3270 Collaborator

Yep :lol: . Karen, now you're at 24! I've dropped to 22, since it's posts in the last 24 hrs.

A few more and we'll be at 300 posts in 24 hrs.

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

Could everyone please try and stay on topic?

Almost everything in this thread could be sent in PMs or e-mails.

celiac3270 Collaborator

Yes, but then our words can be twisted, as Kaiti's were.

I do apologize to Magnus, though...destroying his first topic on the board. You're welcome to post a new one somewhere since this one has kind of...spun off topic.

KaitiUSA Enthusiast
Yes, but then our words can be twisted, as Kaiti's were.

yea thats never cool when someone does that to you :(

but yes I am sorry we all got off subject here...let's get back on subject :D

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

"This part of the forum is for techniques and information on how to cope with celiac disease and the gluten-free diet"

This topic topic is about "What Are The True Risks Of Eating Gluten?"

It does not matter what is said there does NOT need to be back and forth off-topic conversation.

Wrong doing and bad board conduct will be punished in the proper ways.

Let's stay ON topic.

Wandering Hermit Contributor

Just my observation. I have not been here much more than a month...

I think it's the 'regular' folks here (you know who you are!) who are the mentally tough ones...the ones who have dealt with the painful social situations, the idiotic comments, the difficulty of keeping a gluten-free kitchen, the diligence required, the matter of family, learning how to cook all over again, and giving up certain items we love to eat and drink but cannot now.

None of the regulars here have an attitude of "Well, maybe this is all crap, and I don't like this diet, so maybe I'm not going to go through with it." THAT would be weak. This disease requires resolve and willpower. And the people here have it.

My attitude towards having to go gluten-free? I don't like it, but Bring It On. I can handle most any challenge you throw at me. And I LOVE having the support of the great folks here, and I want to help them in return.

So I will take this opportunity to express my respect and thanks to Kaiti, celiac3270, and everyone who has responded to my queries so far and everyone else who makes a positive impact on this board.

Although I have had to deal with this disease for many years now, I don't consider what I have to go through to be the worst of this disease. The people with the REAL strength here are the ones who are dealing with children who are celiac and the hell they have been through to get a diagnosis. All the moms and dads who have witnessed their children's health decline to the point where they thought they might lose them. Those parents who now have to be vigilant for their children's sakes, those are the ones who are the real heroes.

As far as I am concerned, no matter what they think is necessary to ensure a gluten free safe environment for their children, is fine by me. If other people consider it over-reacting or being a hypochrondriac on behalf of their children, then so be it. The satisfaction lays in the results of the gluten free diet - that being the health restored in their children, the weight gained back, the vitamins restored in their systems, etc.

My heartfelt congratulations go out to all those parents who have battled their way to a proper diagnosis for their children...... Hugs to you all!

Karen

ianm Apprentice
Do you guys go to restaurants at all, knowing that even gluten-free foods could be cross-contaminated?

Has anyone tried Atkins diet (gluten-free of course) and it work?

Does anyone have "cheating holidays" like going all year gluten-free but eating whatever at thanksgiving, christmas, etc?

Is a little bit of gluten the same as a lot? (is it worse to eat 2 sandwiches (4 pieces of bread) or just a little soy sauce?)

Getting back on to the original topic.

I have to travel frequently for work and have rarely had any problems getting glutened.

If it weren't for the Atkins diet I never would have discovered a food intolerance was the source of why I was so sick. I went to dozens of doctors and not one of them ever suggested a gluten intolerance.

Cheating is not an option and I have no desire to do so.

I can tolerate a small amount of gluten reasonably well but never eat it intentionally. Some are more sensitive to gluten than others.

Archived