Lucy A

gluten-free Accommodation In Ny And Boston

Rate this topic

Hi,

My boyfriend and I have booked a trip to NY and Boston in April this year (I'm a very sensitive coeliac) and whislt we've found some great places to eat out, we're struggling to find places to stay that can cater at least breakfast! We're not looking for anything fancy - the strength of the pound at the moment doesn't allow it! - but somewhere that is clean, cosy and friendly. Can anyone help?!

Thanks very much, :D

Lucy

In NY there are two diners that serve gluten free food at breakfast. I would recommend you camp near them. One is near 42nd and lexington avenue, which is in the Grand Central Station area. The other is around 80th street and 1st avenue. There are not as many hotels in that area as there are near Grand Central, but there are a bunch more gluten-free dining spots.

Hi,

My boyfriend and I have booked a trip to NY and Boston in April this year (I'm a very sensitive coeliac) and whislt we've found some great places to eat out, we're struggling to find places to stay that can cater at least breakfast! We're not looking for anything fancy - the strength of the pound at the moment doesn't allow it! - but somewhere that is clean, cosy and friendly. Can anyone help?!

Lucy

I agree about staying near a restaurant that does gluten free breakfasts. I can personally recommend Peter's Diner, which, while it doesn't sound like too much, has an extensive and delicious gluten free menu, including pancakes and french toast.

It's located on the upper east side, on 1st Ave, in the early 80s.

I googled upper east side hotels, and it looks like the Gracie Inn isn't too far from there-just a few blocks away.

Hope this helps! Enjoy your visit in NYC. Let me know if there's anything else I can recommend for you! :)

Kate

Hi,

Lucy

Hi Lucy,

While I cannot help out with a specific place to stay, I will say that Boston is an extremely progressive city when it comes to Celiac Disease so wherever you book, just tell the waitstaff or manager about your dietary needs and I am positive that they will accommodate you. Boston is filled with many excellent restaurants which cater to Celiac so lunch and dinner won't be a problem. My best advice is to do a search on "Gluten free B & B's in Boston, Ma". I did a quick one and came up with some places advertising help with dietary restrictions. If you find anything and want info on the locations, just post and I'll help you with that.

I have been to London many times and what I usually do is go to one of the many breakfast places through-out the city and tell them what I need. Londoners are fantastic about it and I have never been glutened or had a problem. You should be able to do the same here. Both cities earn high marks for awareness.

If you want specific restaurants try looking at this: gluten-free Dining

Many of the chains listed have places in Boston.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy Boston as much as I do London!

Are you looking to stay in hotels or smaller bed and breakfasts? In NYC, I stayed at The Tudor United Nations. It was reasonably priced and they accommodated me for dinner and breakfast in their dining room.

In Boston, you might try The LanghamI've never stayed there (I live right outside Boston) so I don't know how expensive it is but have gone there several times for brunch which is FABULOUS and they accommodate gluten-free.

If you want smaller B&B's or inns, let me know.

I just came from Cambridge MA and ate out three times without getting CC. That is saying a lot because I am very sensitive and almost always get CC'ed. I ate at Legal Seafoods (there are many locations in Boston/Cambridge) and twice at the Stone Hearth Pizza in Cambridge http://www.stonehearthpizza.com/restaurant.htm they had excellent salads and gluten-free pizza. I highly recommend them if you are near one of their locations.

StefanieGF is right- Legal Seafoods is GREAT and there are many locations in Boston and the surrounding area.

I just got back from NYC. We stayed at On the Ave Hotel on the Upper West Side. It's the third time I've stayed there and I LOVE it! The prices are usually reasonable and there are so many gluten-free options nearby:

Sambuca ItalianSO good. i had gluten-free pasta carbonara.

Nizza which has gluten-free pizza- didn't eat there but it's on my list for next time.

Nice matin Frenchhad a great Five napkin burger there on a gluten-free roll!

Here are two links you might find helpful gluten-free NYC blog

gluten-free Restaurants in NYC

If you can, go to Risoterria in the Village- it's amazing!