mbrookes

Lipton's Dry Onion Soup

Rate this topic

I can't find any poison ingredients listed, but I think it got me. Does anyone know about this redipe stand-by?

It's gluten-free. Lipton is a Unilever brand so any gluten ingredient will be clearly named in the ingredient list.

No problem for me and I have been using it for years. Lipton Onion Mix is the only Lipton Dry Mix that IS gluten free.

I'm so glad to know the onion soup is safe. It must have been something else. I love this place. So much info!

I'm so glad to know the onion soup is safe. It must have been something else. I love this place. So much info!

Lipton's Dry Onion Soup is laden with MSG. Makes me sick everytime which is why it has been a LONG time since I've used it and never will again. Have you ever reacted to anything else with MSG in it? It's in a ton of foods to make them taste better--Rice A Roni--gosh there are so many. There are many hidden names that it goes by such as autolyzed yeast extract.

Good reading at:

http://www.truthinlabeling.org/nomsg.html

In a nutshell from the article above: "Even if a manufacturer tells you there is no MSG in a product, there may be autolyzed yeast, hydrolyzed pea protein, carrageenan, sodium caseinate, enzymes, and a whole slew of other ingredients that contain or create processed free glutamic acid (MSG) during manufacture."

And this from Wikipedia:

Yeast extract is the common name for various forms of processed yeast products made by extracting the cell contents (removing the cell walls); they are used as food additives or flavourings, or as nutrients for bacterial culture media. They are often used to create savory flavors and umami taste sensations. Monosodium glutamate (MSG) is used for umami, but has no flavor. Yeast extract, like MSG, often contains free glutamic acid. Yeast extracts in liquid form can be dried to a light paste or a dry powder. Glutamic acid in yeast extracts are produced from an acid-base fermentation cycle, only found in some yeasts, typically ones bred for use in baking.

This is gluten free but it is does have soy. I spent quite a while thinking I was reacting to lots of gluten-free products until I realized I couldn't do soy. My reaction to soy is not exactly the same as it is to gluten but especially early on it was hard to tell the difference. IF you find you are reacting to some gluten free items check and make sure that those items don't all have a single nongluten ingredient in common.