Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Darby

Sick!

Last night I made a gluten-free pizza (with LOTS of cheese). I didn't have that much - maybe one medium piece. About 20 minutes later, I"m in the bathroom with diarrhea. Only one trip to the bathroom. But I was real nauseaus too. I ended up taking a Compazine for the nausea and I felt fine (went to sleep) about an hour later.

What happened to me???

Darby

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

What kind of cheese was it? What were the other ingredients you put on the pizza?

Karen

Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy

Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism

endometriosis (at age 20)

spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.

Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs

Rhiannon 8 yrs

Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."

Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.

-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."

Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."

Unknown

What kind of cheese was it? What were the other ingredients you put on the pizza?

Karen

I've only been gluten-free for 2 days now. And I have never had any striking results from gluten. But I'm doing a trial 6 months gluten-free diet because one anti-gliadin came back positive, the most specific came back negative and still waiting on another one.

My usual symptoms while on wheat is not that bad. Low grade nausea - nothing real bad or anything. No daily diarrhea or anything like that.

When I was on gluten, everytime I ate normal pizza - I wouldn't feel well at all.

I'm kind of thinking it's the cheese??

The pizza I made last night had mozzerella cheese, ragu sauce, fresh mushrooms -- that's it.

Darby

What kind of Mozzarella cheese was it? Which brand? Also, was it brick or pre-shredded?

Karen

Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy

Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism

endometriosis (at age 20)

spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.

Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs

Rhiannon 8 yrs

Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."

Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.

-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."

Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."

Unknown

Possibly you are having troubles with dairy.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Jessica

Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!

Kansas

Some celiacs have problems with dairy at first because of damage to the intestines. Once that heals then you may be fine with dairy. I was on and off intolerant my whole life until after I went gluten free. I now have no problems at all with milk.

Kaiti

Positive bloodwork

Gluten-free since January 2004

Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

I can't have cows milk but I'm fine with goats milk. I don't drink glasses of it but I like to have cereal.

I don't have any problems with yogurt or ice cream or small amounts of cheese ( like 1 slice).

So, it seems I'm having problems with large amounts -- like on a pizza.

Darby

Could be the pizza crust. If it had bean/soy flour in it it could cause you gastro upset and nausea. Or potato starch/flour or corn... lots of possibilities.

Could also just be you are only on day 2 of eating gluten free and your body is all confused. You might have withdrawls or trouble digesting.

Lots of possibilities. I hope you feel better soon!

Stephanie

Diagnosed by food challenge, 10/04

Gluten-free since 10/04

Gluten-sensitive genes: HLA-DQ 1,3 (Subtype 6,9)

Interstitial Cystitis, 7/07

Fibromyalgia, 6/11

I don't do well with a lot of the other grains. I have been experimenting with different ones and react to so may of them. Buckwheat, rice, quinoa all do their share. I am having a hard time with potaotes too so I avoid potatoe starch. I just bought garbanzo flour (chick pea) and am going to try to make some bread with it and see how it goes. Did you check to see what the pizza dough was made of? You may need to start investigating that too before you find a pizza dough that is ok for you.

I can't even think about having anything with soy flour...it gives me the same sort of TOXIC effect that gluten does.

Good luck in finding out what did you in. oh.......and you know about dairy too....

Mel

mela14@optonline.net

10 years of abdominal problems, incorrectly diagnosed with Endometriosis / suffered 7 surgeries. Total hysterectomy 2 years ago!

Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue, Interstitial Cystitis ,IBS, Migraines, Primary Immune Deficiency to name a few. Finally realizing that food intolerances make them all worse!