mmartin

Newly Diagnoised

Rate this topic

I need a little guidance on how to get started with my gluten free diet!! I am definitely overwhelmed. Was diagnosied several months ago. Ignored it and can't anymore feeling very sick all the time. So any help you can give me to make this not be so overwhelming would greatly be appreciated.

I think this topic might get a lot more responses if it were posted in the "Coping" section.

Really, this isn't such a bad diet, all it requires is more planning than a regular person puts into selection of food items.

It helps to make a list of what you have been currently eating for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and then under each category, write in possible gluten free alternatives so as to make shopping easier. For example, if you have cereal for breakfast, there is gluten free cereal available. (Or you can just eat rice, with fruit and nuts and coconut milk... ) If you like eggs, they are naturally gluten free. If lunch is a sandwich, there is gluten free bread that can be used, or tortillas or rice cakes. Salads, fruits, nuts, and vegetables are all gluten free. There are boxed soups and broths that are labeled "gluten free." Dinner is the easiest as meat, vegetables, and potatoes are all naturally gluten free. Rice pasta can be used instead of regular pasta for spaghetti, mac 'n cheese, etc. Canned beans, rinsed and cooked, are another great starch substitute.

Find a health food store and peruse the gluten free section. You may even discover that you don't mind baking your own gluten free treats, altho there are many gluten free substitutes for common foods.

READ EVERY LABEL on processed, packaged foods. All the time. Ingredients change.

Hi

First thing to do is to know how to read food lables carfully to detect the hidden gluten with the help of dietetion or simply check this web site and try some simple gluten free recipies but do not buy too much gluten free products because they are very expensive and expired very soon.

I think this topic might get a lot more responses if it were posted in the "Coping" section.

Really, this isn't such a bad diet, all it requires is more planning than a regular person puts into selection of food items.

It helps to make a list of what you have been currently eating for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and then under each category, write in possible gluten free alternatives so as to make shopping easier. For example, if you have cereal for breakfast, there is gluten free cereal available. (Or you can just eat rice, with fruit and nuts and coconut milk... ) If you like eggs, they are naturally gluten free. If lunch is a sandwich, there is gluten free bread that can be used, or tortillas or rice cakes. Salads, fruits, nuts, and vegetables are all gluten free. There are boxed soups and broths that are labeled "gluten free." Dinner is the easiest as meat, vegetables, and potatoes are all naturally gluten free. Rice pasta can be used instead of regular pasta for spaghetti, mac 'n cheese, etc. Canned beans, rinsed and cooked, are another great starch substitute.

Find a health food store and peruse the gluten free section. You may even discover that you don't mind baking your own gluten free treats, altho there are many gluten free substitutes for common foods.

READ EVERY LABEL on processed, packaged foods. All the time. Ingredients change.

I was diagnosed in 1990 and back then Corn and Rice Chex cereal contained barley malt syrup and no was not gluten free. I avoided them for years and was thrilled to recently notice that both are now clearly laeled "gluten free" and I don't have to go to any special store to get them.