Lynayah

Having Good Luck With Real Foods Corn Thins

Rate this topic

I've been having a difficult time finding low-fat crackers that satisfy me. Last week, I found a product called Corn Thins (popped corn cakes), made by Real Foods - realfoods.com. I found them at a local grocery store that has an extensive gluten-free section. They are also available online.

They are similar to a rice cake or corn cake, except they are much thinner. I also think they are much tastier. What I love the most is that they are only 22 calories per slice AND FAT FREE!

It is so hard to find a low calorie, low fat crunchy treat when eating gluten free -- these are a real blessing for me.

They are a product of Australia. They are gluten-free, Kosher/Parve and GMO free. I have tried both the plain original and the multi-grain. Neither mention sharing lines with wheat, soy, nuts, dairy, etc.

I am highly sensitive and often have problems with cross-contamination. I haven't had any problems with Corn Thins.

My favorite way to eat these it to top them with gluten-free, fat-free black refried beans -- reminds me of a tostada! I plan to add salsa and shredded lettuce next time.

One of the biggest problems I've had is finding foods that I enjoy -- foods that feel like fun when I eat them. These do it for me.

I know rice cakes or corn cakes aren't for everyone -- many people feel as though they are eating packing material! For me, something about these being so thin makes them much more enjoyable. They are really, really good.

No, I don't work for the company, hold stock, or know anyone who might benefit from this post. :) It's just so darn WONDERFUL to find a food that really works for me, I had to share.

Okay, that said, NOW I'll go buy stock (just kidding).

:) Lyn

Have never heard of them. Thanks for sharing about them. I'll keep an eye out in Whole Foods next time I'm there. Where did you buy yours?

Have never heard of them. Thanks for sharing about them. I'll keep an eye out in Whole Foods next time I'm there. Where did you buy yours?

I bought mine locally at a store that has an extensive gluten-free section (not a chain). I checked online here to see if they might be available at the Gluten-Free Mall, but I did not see them -- maybe in the future?

If you Google Corn Thins Real Foods you'll get their site as well as places where you can order online.

I hope you enjoy them!

I picked them up last month at Sprouts. Love them with peanut butter!

I love these too. Makes a great snack. I can get them at Earth Fare and now in the health food shop in town.

Good with tuna salad, too. I like to use Vegenaise for mayo -- egg free, dairy free.

These are wonderful with tuna fish! They sell them in my area at Wegmans.

I got some at a local Whole Foods this week. The original flavor is what I got. If you are avoiding soy check the ingredients as some of the flavored ones have soy. Looks like they used to make a gluten version but stopped making it. So all their corn thins are gluten-free now.

Corn Thins FAQ

eal Foods manufacture 9 varieties of Corn Thins (flavoured & unflavoured) and 1 variety of Rice Thins of which the following - Original, Organic with Sesame, Soy & Linseed (Flax & Soy) Multigrain, Cracked Pepper & Lemon, Sesame, Tasty Cheese, Sour Cream & Chives, Feta & Sundried Tomato Flavoured Corn Thins & Rice Thins - are "Gluten free" (they do not contain any wheat, barley or rye). You will find the "gluten free" statement on the packaging of these Corn Thins varieties mentioned on the side of the pack. In the past Real Foods have produced ONE VARIETY of Corn Thins that contains gluten, the Rye and Caraway Corn Thins (which we stopped producing in 2009, but may still be in some stores). When Real Foods did produce Rye & Caraway in the past we implemented a strict manufacturing and clean down regime, which is implemented each time the Rye and Caraway Corn Thins were made. Production staff were not permitted to commence manufacturing new product until the clean down program has been completed, inspected and verified by the Quality Department as satisfactory. To validate the effectiveness of the cleaning programme, we tested other product, which has been manufactured at the same time, but on separate production line, as the Rye & Caraway and have found no evidence of air borne cross contamination. This has been verified through independent laboratory testing.

Wow, great info! Thanks, Mr.!

I love these corn thins too! But last fall I was having constant tummy pains; I knew I was getting gluten from somewhere but couldn't figure out where it was coming from. I left off the corn thins for a while for some other reason and then one day I ate a couple and the celiac symtoms came back right away!! I must have had some that were contaminated. I never dreamed it would be them. after all it says "gluten free"!

Anyway I never eat them anymore and I'm fine now. Now I wonder if others have has this experience too seeing this post was started a year ago.

I love these little corn cakes - they taste just like popcorn. I found them at Nutrition S'Mart, a Florida health food chain. They make a wonderful little snack.

I just picked these up last week! We did a bit of grocery shopping and then headed to a basketball game. I took one with me and put a burger on top of it. (usually I eat a burger plain, but I get tired of that) It was surprisingly yummy. It was thin enough to not be overwhelming to the burger. I can imagine these in many uses!

I love these corn thins too! But last fall I was having constant tummy pains; I knew I was getting gluten from somewhere but couldn't figure out where it was coming from. I left off the corn thins for a while for some other reason and then one day I ate a couple and the celiac symtoms came back right away!! I must have had some that were contaminated. I never dreamed it would be them. after all it says "gluten free"!

Anyway I never eat them anymore and I'm fine now. Now I wonder if others have has this experience too seeing this post was started a year ago.

The funny thing is that I was eating them a year ago and although I loved the taste, I got a stomach ache each time I ate them. Thought maybe I was eating too many, so I cut it down to 2 per day and still felt sick afterwards. I haven't had them in quite a while. Maybe it is time to try them again.