This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Tired Of The Cheaters And Skeptics

angel-jd1

angel-jd1 Community Regular

Ok, so I need to vent. I'm sick and tired of comming to the board and seeing titles such as cheaters and so what if I ate gluten blah!! <_<

What is up with all this lately?? It is making me not want to even visit the board anymore.

If you don't want to be healthy and stay on the diet then what in the world are you doing on these boards to begin with? If you don't want to stay healthy, then FINE!!!

It is just rediculous, you were diagnosed, you have celiac, you NEED TO FOLLOW THE DIET!! geesh.

The research is out there folks, if you don't follow the diet then you can get cancer, lupus, diabetes, infertility, etc etc etc You do not HAVE to have symptoms to get those ugly things. Many people have NO symptoms at all!!

Can we please get back to the topics here on the board. This board is for people who FOLLOW the gluten-free diet. Not people who want to cheat or who think the diet is bogus, they aren't getting anything out of the board. It is depressing having to come here everyday and defend why we SHOULD follow the diet. Look at the facts, if you are diagnosed and have celiac and are not following the diet you are only hurting yourself !!!

-Jessica :rolleyes:

*sigh* Ok, i'm done venting now, thanks for listening ;)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
KaitiUSA Enthusiast
Ok, so I need to vent. I'm sick and tired of comming to the board and seeing titles such as cheaters and so what if I ate gluten blah!! <_<

What is up with all this lately?? It is making me not want to even visit the board anymore.

If you don't want to be healthy and stay on the diet then what in the world are you doing on these boards to begin with? If you don't want to stay healthy, then FINE!!!

It is just rediculous, you were diagnosed, you have celiac, you NEED TO FOLLOW THE DIET!! geesh.

The research is out there folks, if you don't follow the diet then you can get cancer, lupus, diabetes, infertility, etc etc etc You do not HAVE to have symptoms to get those ugly things. Many people have NO symptoms at all!!

Can we please get back to the topics here on the board. This board is for people who FOLLOW the gluten-free diet. Not people who want to cheat or who think the diet is bogus, they aren't getting anything out of the board. It is depressing having to come here everyday and defend why we SHOULD follow the diet. Look at the facts, if you are diagnosed and have celiac and are not following the diet you are only hurting yourself !!!

*sigh* Ok, i'm done venting now, thanks for listening ;)

I know where you are coming from Jessica so don't feel alone

but I also realize that alot of the people that think that are new people to the disease and I was the same way when I was first diagnosed.

I don't think some people get the seriousness of this disease and what it can do because they have no symptoms...

Doctors don't just hand out a diagnosis for no reason and when you are diagnosed you have it..thats the end of it...

People..your fate is in your own hands...nobody can control what you eat but you...

the thing is ..people that choose to eat gluten with celiac disease will eventually have the consequences that come with that...

And I hope all of you with celiac realize the seriousness of it because I don't want anything bad to happen to any of you.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I can see why the cheating question/poll was asked, I will admit that I was interested to see how many people actually cheated. However, I can also see how the cheating topics can give newbies the wrong idea. When these topics are posted we should always emphasize that cheating is harmful to your health and give examples (like cancer, osteoporosis, infertility, ect). Although it's unhealthy and harmful to cheat, it is a personal choice. And we should encourage those who do cheat to stop.

I personally don't cheat because I'm not willing to put my health on the line.

tarnalberry Community Regular

The fact that a number of people cheat is something that, as a community, we have to deal with. If we want additional respect for the conditon, we need to start with all the people who have the condition but not the respect for it themselves.

For people who do NOT feel unhealthy if they eat gluten, it's in no way obvious that they need to avoid gluten to be healthy. It's just not that cut and dry for everyone.

I think we need to be a little more understanding and patience the changes that people need to make - and those changes are a little bit different for everyone because we all have our own different lives and our own different ways of thinking of things. I admit that I sometimes see the "oh my god how can I possibly make this change it's impossible" post and get annoyed for a minute (for various reasons) but then remember that maybe people don't cook as much as I did when I made the change (that would make it harder), maybe people don't know as much about ingredients in foods (that would make it harder), maybe people have a different family/social dynamic (that would make it harder), maybe people haven't ever made a dietary change of any kind before (that would make it harder), maybe people don't have the same resources (that would make it harder), maybe people aren't as creative just yet (that would make it harder)...

There are so many reasons why the journey of living celiac is different for everyone, and I think I've learned a lot from hearing about those different journeys - all of them.

Canadian Karen Community Regular

Excellent post, Tiffany....... ;)

Karen

angel-jd1 Community Regular
I think we need to be a little more understanding and patience the changes that people need to make

I'm actually very understanding. However, I'm not understanding with people who continue to cheat and damage their bodies. Usually comming back to say how sick they were and wondering why they feel so bad? DUH!! :blink:

I am also not understanding when people come here to this board and criticise the diet and the people who follow it. There is a thread going on currently where a man said he about fell off his chair laughing at the kissing and gluten thread. He goes on to be rude to several folks on the board. There have been several other instances of this, not just from this person. How is that helping others??

Believe me, I remember how hard it was in the beginning. You have your doubts, you want it to all go away and have a slice of pizza!! :lol:

Fact is, you have a diagnosis, no matter how hard that is, cheating and having that doughnut or whatever isn't helping. It also isn't helping to come here and knock down people who are trying to get better and trying to make it on this diet. The board is for support, support of people who FOLLOW the diet. If they aren't following it, or if they don't believe in it, then why in the world are they here?

The doubters really don't bother me so much. The way I look at it, if reading all the posts of all the hell we have gone through sheds some light on their knowledge of the dangers of the disease, then I am glad they are here....

A different perspective to look at it is this way. Take into consideration the philosophy of AA. If the people in AA didn't keep on trying to get alcoholics to "see the light", then their power would be greatly diminished and their successes would be few and far between if they just gave up on people and didn't understand their "denial" and work with it......

Karen

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mmm..gluten Newbie
I'm actually very understanding. However, I'm not understanding with people who continue to cheat and damage their bodies. Usually comming back to say how sick they were and wondering why they feel so bad? DUH!!  :blink:

I am also not understanding when people come here to this board and criticise the diet and the people who follow it. There is a thread going on currently where a man said he about fell off his chair laughing at the kissing and gluten thread. He goes on to be rude to several folks on the board. There have been several other instances of this, not just from this person. How is that helping others??

Believe me, I remember how hard it was in the beginning. You have your doubts, you want it to all go away and have a slice of pizza!!  :lol:

Fact is, you have a diagnosis, no matter how hard that is, cheating and having that doughnut or whatever isn't helping. It also isn't helping to come here and knock down people who are trying to get better and trying to make it on this diet. The board is for support, support of people who FOLLOW the diet. If they aren't following it, or if they  don't believe in it, then why in the world are they here?

*sniff sniff* ;)

Emme999 Enthusiast

I think we should stone 'im ;)

mmm..gluten Newbie
I think we should stone 'im ;)

With whole wheat bread?

Emme999 Enthusiast

I was thinking about using barley actually (the grains are bigger) ;)

skbird Contributor

I dunno, Kamut has some pretty darn big grain!!!

Kamut pellet gun... now that would be some serious action.

Stephanie

Emme999 Enthusiast

Kamut? :huh:

Can Celiacs have Kamut? What the hell is Kamut anyway? :blink:

I think we should stick to toxic grains ;)

Nah, get a 24 of some good ol' Canadian beer. Lots of barley in those! (We would get better results with bottles then cans though, bottles can be nasty!) That would do the trick, eh? ;)

Karen

Emme999 Enthusiast

We could just drown him in the beer... ;)

There's enough of us! We could take 'im!! :angry:

mmm..gluten Newbie
We could just drown him in the beer... ;)

There's enough of us! We could take 'im!! :angry:

Mmmmm, beeeer.....donuts...

KaitiUSA Enthusiast
Kamut? :huh:

Can Celiacs have Kamut? What the hell is Kamut anyway? :blink:

I think we should stick to toxic grains ;)

Kamut is a pasta wheat,...not safe for us

Emme999 Enthusiast

:lol:

Thanks for making me laugh out loud, Mr. I'mNotGonnaBeGlutenFreeForLongAndYouCan'tMakeMe ;)

Emme999 Enthusiast

Thanks Kaiti :)

Thanks Bean! My four yr old twin boys are looking at me right now wondering why their mother is howling at the computer!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Karen

Hey mmm..gluten, if you're going to go, you might as well go in style, eh? LOL! :lol::lol:

Karen

mmm..gluten Newbie
Hey mmm..gluten, if you're going to go, you might as well go in style, eh?  LOL! :lol:  :lol:

Karen

Take off, eh? You know I was thinking the same thing, eh? Might as well go out with a Coffee Crisp and a cup o Horton's finest, eh?

:)

BTW - checked my stash last night...Coffee Crisps are NOT gluten-free.. :(

skbird Contributor

I bought some whole grain Kamut a couple of years ago. I was intimidated by how big of a grain it is! Like four times the size of a rice grain. Never ate any of it. I had Kamut bread but preferred Spelt bread to it. Supposed to be really healthy, but not for us. It's an ancient version of wheat.

Beer would be ok, but he'd enjoy it way too much... (I know I would! Death by beer!!!)

Stephanie

Aw, come on, don't be such a hoser, eh? ;):D

Better watch it, I just might storm out of my igloo and come lookin' for ya! :rolleyes:

Karen

scoutfinch Newbie
I'm sick and tired of comming to the board and seeing titles such as cheaters and so what if I ate gluten blah!!

Can we please get back to the topics here on the board. This board is for people who FOLLOW the gluten-free diet. Not people who want to cheat or who think the diet is bogus, they aren't getting anything out of the board. It is depressing having to come here everyday and defend why we SHOULD follow the diet.

It was my impression that this board, in particular this section on coping with the disease, exists to SUPPORT people who follow the diet, people who are trying to follow the diet, people who are trying to understand celiac disease and all its implications, including how other people cope or don't cope with it. Attacking people with a "follow the diet or die and don't question anything" attitude is neither helpful nor supportive.

Archived