ksangie

Where Do I Start?

Rate this topic

I'm just a bit curious how all of you have cleaned you kitchen/pots/appliances upon going gluten-free. My hubby is willing to go on a gluten-free diet with me, but if we want to avoid cc we'll have to really change things around here. Are there any products/methods that are best for cleaning up after a lifetime of a gluten-filled kitchen?

We have a shared kitchen. I allow bread and cheerios in the house. Nearly everything else is gluten free. We wash the dishes by hand then run them through the dishwasher. I spray gluten bread crumbs down and then wipe them up with paper towel, then respray and rinse the counter tops. I did buy a new toater for us gluten free people and I never buy gluten pasta.

I haven't been glutened at home in a long time so we must be doing all right.

Good Luck, RA

We have a shared kitchen in our house since I am the only celiac. I bought a new toaster for myself and new set of pots and pans - including spatulas, big spoons etc.(pretty much all kitchen utensils). My husband eats gluten and he uses regular dishes and silverware that I hand wash them and put in the dishwasher. I use disposable utensils and paper plates for myself. I'm extremely careful or maybe overly careful.

We have a mixed household. I read here on the forum a while ago the recommendation to assign the color red to plastic items. Everyone in the house knows that the red colander, spatula's, bowls, etc. are not to be used for gluten foods. This has worked very well for us.

As for my wife and I, we didn't go to some of the extremes that others have. I did get my own toaster and bread machine. As far as dishes, I use the same ones the rest of my family uses and have treated them the same way, just rinse off and throw in the dish washer. The only thing I do not use is the wooden cutting board, but we have had plenty of plastic ones to begin with.

When it comes to condiments, I have my own tubs/jars of things to avoid CC. We also use a lot of squeeze bottles when we can find them.

As far as food, there are gluten things in the house for everyone else except for pasta, my family has gotten used to it and that makes life easier than boiling two pots of water etc...... I've even had people over for spaghetti that liked the gluten-free pastas better than the gluten stuff.