This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Tyson Chicken Breasts

Rissmeek

Rissmeek Newbie

Has anyone had an issue with RAW Tyson Chicken breasts? My husband doesn't have a typical gluten reaction. Instead he has an almost allergic reaction. Hives, slightly itch, antsy, overall not feeling well. When he has came in to contact with gluten he has GI issues and that has been his typical reaction to gluten for many, many years now. I'm curious since it's only Tyson Chicken that he has the issue with. I've duplicated the same meal with a different brand of chicken, no problem, duplicated it again with Tyson an issue again. I'm sure it's something that they are injecting the chicken with but since it's not declared on the package it's hard to tell.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

I'm sure it's something that they are injecting the chicken with but since it's not declared on the package it's hard to tell.

There is no mystery about injected material in chicken. If gluten is not listed on the ingredient, it's not in there, according to FDA law. Tyson is a very reputable company, it will not include undisclosed ingredients, law or not. Perhaps, it was something else. :)

lizard00 Enthusiast

My husband can eat anything. ANYTHING. Except for Tyson chicken. Makes him sick for two days. I have no idea what it is about their chicken specifically, but the very word Tyson makes him shudder. I don't think it's gluten, I think it's something else, like maybe the quality of the chicken. I don't know. Browse the forum, it's not the first time it's come up.

lovegrov Collaborator

It's not gluten.

richard

Rissmeek Newbie

There is no mystery about injected material in chicken. If gluten is not listed on the ingredient, it's not in there, according to FDA law. Tyson is a very reputable company, it will not include undisclosed ingredients, law or not. Perhaps, it was something else. :)

We were willing to say it was something else until we did the food journal and it only happens when I use Tyson chicken. We did bare chicken breasts, baked potato with butter. Once with Tyson and once with Pilgrim's Pride. Reaction happened only with Tyson, nothing else changed except the brand of chicken. Chicken Cordon Blue with Tyson chicken causes a reaction, Chicken Cordon Blue with Pilgrim's chicken nothing happened. Again the only thing that changed in the two meals was the type of chicken used.

I thought only wheat had to be declared as it is one of the top 8 "allergens". I believe the package of chicken says, injected with not more than 15% solution of sodium and chicken broth. Nothing declared as far as what is in the chicken broth. I don't trust Tyson any farther than I can throw them since they took over the meat processing plant in the area.

Rissmeek Newbie

My husband can eat anything. ANYTHING. Except for Tyson chicken. Makes him sick for two days. I have no idea what it is about their chicken specifically, but the very word Tyson makes him shudder. I don't think it's gluten, I think it's something else, like maybe the quality of the chicken. I don't know. Browse the forum, it's not the first time it's come up.

I didn't think it was gluten but am curious as to what it might be so we can avoid it. He has the same problem with wild rice which is gluten free also. I'll do a search of the site and see what I come up with. Thanks!!

woodnewt Rookie

Perhaps he is reacting to the quaternary/disinfectant they are using on the chicken?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I thought only wheat had to be declared as it is one of the top 8 "allergens". I believe the package of chicken says, injected with not more than 15% solution of sodium and chicken broth.

If they happen to use a barley product in the broth, as you have noted, it does not have to be declared. Have you called them and asked what is in the broth?

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

I'm another one who can not tolerate Tyson's.

Takala Enthusiast

"itchy, antsy.... "

Sounds like one of my mystery reactions to certain brands of dairy products. I am pretty sure it is antibiotic or other drug/chemical residues that is getting passed thru the cow into the milk, but there isn't any way to prove it. Sticking to certain other brands (organic) has been a way to avoid it, for me.

I would be wondering what these chickens have been eating or been treated with, and what the withdrawal time was, if any.

Okay, AFTER I wrote that, I was curious, and googled "Tyson chicken label ingredients" and am pulling up a bunch of stories about Tyson and the USDA revoking their old antibiotic free labels. Hmmm.

one more mile Contributor

my 22 year old can not eat prudue or tyson. She actually turns gray and her eyes start to cross and roll back. I have given up feeding her any store bought chicken and only buy organic chicken at a local market. She has had such bad reactions from chicken and beef that she is mostly vegetarian.

Tigercat17 Enthusiast

I can't eat Tyson frozen chicken breasts either. I thought it was just me. I got this pain on my left side when I ate it three months ago. I did call the company about the chicken broth & they told me there is no gluten in their chicken breasts. There has to be something in their chicken that I'm reacting to. I thought maybe my stomach was too sensitive & I couldn't tolerate the marinade? Maybe once I'm healed more I'll be able to eat it, but I'm not sure if I want to try it. I do eat Giant Eagle's brand - Nature's Basket Chicken with out any problems. I think it even tastes better!

RollingAlong Explorer

Open Original Shared Link

This document from the USDA lists all ingredients allowed in meat and poultry products. This was posted on the Slow Food USA blog.

They would say that not being able to eat Tyson's is no big deal, because it is easily the most non-chicken flavored substance known to man!

Lisa Mentor

Instead of speculating about POSSIBLE contamination or ingredient issue about this product, why doesn't someone contact the company directly and report back to this thread.

Please remember, that just because a product is listed as gluten free, does not mean that ALL people will deal with it well. When someone has gluten issues, it's frequent that there may be other issues, not resolved. Not all roads lead to gluten.

Let's not begin a mass fear with speculation, without knowing the facts from the company. Once your have a disclosure, you can make up your mind.

Who will contact Tyson?

Tigercat17 Enthusiast

Instead of speculating about POSSIBLE contamination or ingredient issue about this product, why doesn't someone contact the company directly and report back to this thread.

Please remember, that just because a product is listed as gluten free, does not mean that ALL people will deal with it well. When someone has gluten issues, it's frequent that there may be other issues, not resolved. Not all roads lead to gluten.

Let's not begin a mass fear with speculation, without knowing the facts from the company. Once your have a disclosure, you can make up your mind.

Who will contact Tyson?

Hi Lisa,

I called the company two months ago & the company states that there is no gluten in the Tyson frozen Chicken Breasts.

Lisa Mentor

Hi Lisa,

I called the company two months ago & the company states that there is no gluten in the Tyson frozen Chicken Breasts.

Thanks Lisa for you post. I too, believe that here is no gluten in most of there products (if not all unseasoned products).

I have learned a long time ago,that is there is no clear definition for anything. :rolleyes: Even though a product may not have gluten, does not mean that a sensitive person may get ill by consuming the given product. That is not to say that there is a hidden conspiracy to add gluten too keep the gluten community off guard. It means that there is no defined criteria (legally or symptomatically)

A compromised digestive system, is just that...compromised.

If a product bothers you, for goodness sake, don't go there again. It won't be your life. But, yet again, all roads don't lead to gluten. :D

• 1 month later...
Elastigirl Newbie

Has anyone had an issue with RAW Tyson Chicken breasts? My husband doesn't have a typical gluten reaction. Instead he has an almost allergic reaction. Hives, slightly itch, antsy, overall not feeling well. When he has came in to contact with gluten he has GI issues and that has been his typical reaction to gluten for many, many years now. I'm curious since it's only Tyson Chicken that he has the issue with. I've duplicated the same meal with a different brand of chicken, no problem, duplicated it again with Tyson an issue again. I'm sure it's something that they are injecting the chicken with but since it's not declared on the package it's hard to tell.

I wanted to share a discovery we had. My son (7) has Celiac disease (and dairy and eggs), and his manifests itself in intestinal bleeding. We've had to cut out even thing that apparently didn't have allergies in it--like lunch meats. Up until a month ago, we'd always used Foster Farms chicken (not organic, but budget wise close enough for us). Well, they were out at the our local market, so we began purchasing Tyson breast meat. The ingredients list seemed fine, so I didn't worry. HOWEVER, after eating them, his bleeding kicked up. And it just floored me. So I began to investigate about chicken. Did you know if they eat a lot of corn, their feathers even turn yellow? Their little bodies don't process foods like we do, or even cows (but that's up for debate still). What they eat seems to go right through their systems. What do Foster Farms Chickens eat? Corn, soy, vitamins and minerals. They specifically call out they do NOT feed them wheat gluten. What does feed do Tyson's chicken eat? WHEAT, sorghum and corn.

I am now wondering if the animals that are made into lunch meats for Hormel natural (because they seem like they'd be perfect for him, no gluten, dairy, etc.) are also fed on a wheat/rye/barely diet?

SO, my two cents. We stopped eating Tyson, went back and he stopped bleeding. Evidence enough for us.

Elastigirl Newbie

I didn't think it was gluten but am curious as to what it might be so we can avoid it. He has the same problem with wild rice which is gluten free also. I'll do a search of the site and see what I come up with. Thanks!!

I contacted them via email because my son was having a serious reaction. They DO feed their chickens on a wheat diet. I changed brands to one that doesn't--and he was fine.

Lisa Mentor

I contacted them via email because my son was having a serious reaction. They DO feed their chickens on a wheat diet. I changed brands to one that doesn't--and he was fine.

I am glad your son is doing better. What brand of chicken are you using now? How do you know that chickens fed with wheat, transfer to the meat we eat and therefore make us sick (as people with Celiac)?

Please document your source?! What information can you provide us? :D

lizard00 Enthusiast

I, too, have to ask for some sort of reference on wheat transferring from diet to meat.

My personal opinion on Tyson (and it is JUST that) is that they use some sort of chemical that is hard for people to break down. As I posted earlier, my husband cannot eat Tyson. He is NOT gluten intolerant in the least. I, however, can eat Tyson with no problems (which I do find to be ironic since my system is pretty sensitive.) I just discovered this about me last weekend, while visiting his mother. We had chicken on Sunday, he was sick for the next two days. I was fine. Go figure...

StephanieGF Rookie

Interesting... as I was reading through this thread, I was thinking "I bet Tyson's feeds the chickens a feed that contains wheat." The problem with that is the "butchering" and processing at these plants can be pretty bad, and if there is wheat in the chicken's stomachs, intestines, excrement, etc., the chance of CC on the actual chicken meat is certainly there. Read Fast Food Nation and Omnivore's Dilemma (just to name a few) if you want to know more about conditions in these very large processing plants.

Now, Tyson's also uses all sorts of additives, it is very easy to imagine that sensitive people could easily have reaction to those too. It is just hard to determine what is the problem, but personally, you could not pay me money to eat anything made by Tyson's.

We personally buy our chicken from a local farmer that feeds a corn/soy feed and is processed at a small facility. We have not had any CC issues with chicken or meats.

mushroom Proficient

We personally buy our chicken from a local farmer that feeds a corn/soy feed and is processed at a small facility. We have not had any CC issues with chicken or meats.

Now if the grains a chicken eats were to make a difference to me, I would not be able to eat any chicken :P Our Tegel chicken here is my preference for those down under, as far as processing, unless you want to spend the huge bucks for organic.

newgfcali Rookie

Discussions like this about how meats are raised and processed is exactly why I was a vegetarian for so many years! Had to give it up because I was not very good at it. Could never get the right combos for the complete proteins, so added back fowl and fish. I just try not to think about how they're processed. :ph34r:

Sick Boy Newbie

I'll start off by saying Tyson should be boycotted and no one should eat their altered chickens. Tyson chickens are not a traditional chicken. There is so much growth hormone, steroids and antibiotics pumped into them that they are not good for anyone to eat. The normal chicken takes 70 days to mature for slaughter and Tyson chickens are ready for slaughter in 40 days while being 30% larger than normal chickens. If you want chicken I suggest you contact a local farmer, ask how they are raised and see about purchasing from a local farmer. Your body, farmer, community and concieous will thank you. I also suggest you watch the documentary Food Inc., it is carried in most movie stores. If you watch it you will be quite amazed and maybe learn something.

Elastigirl Newbie

I am glad your son is doing better. What brand of chicken are you using now? How do you know that chickens fed with wheat, transfer to the meat we eat and therefore make us sick (as people with Celiac)?

Please document your source?! What information can you provide us? :D

My son has Celiac. He is also allergic to dairy (cow and goat) and eggs. This manifests itself in intestinal bleeding and ulcers. We usually eat Foster Farms, not organic, but the best we can afford on our already stretched budget. And we've been eating grass fed orgainc beef for a long time now. Anyway, they were out of FF at our local store. So we bought Tyson chicken breasts in the frozne section (after reading the ingredient list, and saw nothing wrong). The next day he started bleeding. We hadn't changed a thing in his diet. So, perplexed, I started to tear appart my kitchen, thinking something had gotten contaminated somehow. Then I started thinking about how the chicken was new to him. I went to Foster Farms page (which lists a lot of info on chicken care, feeding, etc.) and saw that they feed them primarily corn and say "no gluten ingredients." That the corn turns the bird's skin, fat, and feathers yellow. So my brain started to put together that if the corn is going throughout their system, and being stored in their fatty tissues and even feathers, then what would gluten feed do? I wrote to (because Tyson is NOT helpful on their web site) and recieved an email saying they do indeed feed their chickens wheat.

We stopped eating tyson and his bleeding stopped. We are now avoiding all meats (lunch meat included) unless we KNOW what they are feeding the animals. I also discovered that barley, eggs and dairy are OFTEN mixed into the feed as well, which with my sons's other allergies, makes eating grain fed (except corn for us) animals a tripple threat.

That's what we've discovered. I'd love for them to put some chicken under testing and check the allergy levels stored in their flesh.

Archived