Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rissmeek

Tyson Chicken Breasts

I realize I'm a couple months late, but add me to the list of people intolerant of Tyson chicken breast. I suspected it once a few months back, but then thought I was just being paranoid...

Last week, Tyson was on sale, the usual store brand I buy was not. Being the frugal-ista that I am, I bought the Tyson and thought nothing of it. I made the same recipe with the same other ingredients the same way as I have before with no problems, and VOILA I was sick within hours. (BTW- it was a very gluten-like reaction)

I started wondering about the chicken, and that's how I found this thread. Wow, I'm kind of glad I'm not the only one. Thanks, everyone, for posting your experiences.

I don't mean to sound like my Wendy's Chili story again, but I know people who worked at the Tyson processing plant in Corydon (IN) it's right near here, and you couldn't pay me a million dollars to eat a piece of Tyson chicken.

And I'm not even talking about gluten, just..... eeewwww eeeewwwww eeeewwwwwwwwwwwwww.

I don't know what it is, but I cannot eat anything from Tyson without having a violent gluten-like reaction to it. Be it fresh or frozen products, I react every time. I also react to Great Value, Holly Farms, and Kroger branded chicken that has the chicken broth injected into it. I just cannot eat any of it. I don't know if it's a gluten-item that they are hiding in the broth or what, but other chicken brands without such a brining/broth added, I am completely fine with. That included some Food Lion frozen chicken that uses a salt/water only solution, Perdue products (they actually give a gluten-free list on their website), and the local/natural/organic chicken varieties that are often considerably more expensive, but nowhere near as processed as Tyson or other companies.

And I had tried like mad to figure this out too, because I've been solidly gluten-free for over a year, partial for 3 years before that. I'd have horrible reactions to simple chicken and rice dishes that didn't contain anything but chicken, rice, and some added herbs. Then I isolated it to the chicken one day when I had just a small piece of a Tyson chicken tenderloin and wound up running to the bathroom with painful stomach cramps within minutes of the first bite. When I switched to other brands of chicken and made the same dishes, no reaction at all. And I haven't had that kind of reaction to chicken now in more than 8 months since switching to different companies for my chicken...and I still eat it as regularly as I did before, a couple times per week.