This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Best Gluten Free Pizza Crust?

Dada2hapas

Dada2hapas Rookie

Want to ask folks for your favorite gluten-free pizza crust. It doesn't matter if it's a purchased crust or a homemade recipe, as I'm looking for both. I miss being able to make or order my favorite gluten pizza.

Locally, my favorite pizza in Boise, Idaho has always been Chicago Connection! Since celiac diagnosis, I'm very grateful for local gluten-free pizza. Chicago Connection has a great gluten-free pizza, and after more than 5 dozen gluten-free pizzas ordered, I've never been CC'd by Chicago Connection. Their pizza crust is from French Meadow Bakery, and I understand they have a good protocol to eliminate any cc issues.

There's another local Italian/Pizza place in Boise that makes their own gluten-free pizza crust, which tastes great too, but about half the time I eat there, I get symptoms. A few weeks ago, after ordering my gluten-free spaghetti dinner from their gluten-free menu, our waiter (who said he's been there for 5 yrs) came back to the table and asked "I always wondered, what is gluten?" I will miss eating there, as their food is yummy, but I can't risk cc anymore.

I've heard great things about the pizza crust from Open Original Shared Link, who makes gluten-free crust for Pizza Fusion in California that my family/friends rave about. Also, I understand that there's a local gluten-free pizza crust made in Kuna, ID which I haven't tried yet, but would like to try sometime.

If you have an awesome pizza crust recipe to share, or have been able to compare different pizza crusts and have favorites, please let us know what you think!

Thanks!

-D

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RiceGuy Collaborator

I think the best pizza crust is a preference thing. Some people like a thin crust, others like it thick. Some like it soft, and others like it crispy on the bottom.

Perhaps if you can outline what your favorite pizza crust is like, others will be better able to make suggestions that you'll enjoy.

bbuster Explorer

I have tried many recipes. My son's favorite, hands down, is Bette Hagman's recipe from The Gluten-Free Gourmet Bakes Bread.

I make this at least once a week, and always make an extra crust or two (personal size) and freeze after the first bake (no toppings).

This makes a New York style crust. I have also had success using whole eggs instead of just the whites to make a thicker crust.

Our whole family loves this pizza.

bbuster Explorer

We also buy Isabella's Best Gluten-Free Pizza (frozen) at Sam's Club.

This is a really good thin-crust pizza, but does not have a lot of toppings so we always pile on more.

I think it's around $13 for a box containing 2 pizzas.

Not sure how many stores carry this.

Dada2hapas Rookie

I think the best pizza crust is a preference thing. Some people like a thin crust, others like it thick. Some like it soft, and others like it crispy on the bottom.

Perhaps if you can outline what your favorite pizza crust is like, others will be better able to make suggestions that you'll enjoy.

I've always enjoyed variety, but celiac disease has made that a bigger challenge. I usually like thin crust NY style pizza, but sometimes I just want a thick crust. I'd be happy to know which frozen pizza crusts folks prefer. Also open to tried and true recipes. Perhaps I'm just craving gluten pizza. Thanks!

minniejack Contributor

We love Against the Grain--works best if you put directly on the rack in the oven--crispier.

I just bought Udi's and haven't tried it yet, but if their bread is any indication, then it should be great.

If you can do dairy, we found a really good recipe that called for cream cheese Open Original Shared Link

tmbarke Apprentice

We love Against the Grain--works best if you put directly on the rack in the oven--crispier.

I just bought Udi's and haven't tried it yet, but if their bread is any indication, then it should be great.

If you can do dairy, we found a really good recipe that called for cream cheese Open Original Shared Link

Minniejack.......I baked this for the first time today (it's cooling now) and I'll have to say......I'm amazed! You wouldn't know it wasn't a flour crust!

This is our superbowl pizza! and I'm soooooo ready!

One question tho, is it really necessary to cool for a long time?

What is your experience with 'impatience'?

UPDATE!

Oh MG! that was the best pizza I've ever had!

Just like take out!

You all have GOT to try it!

HEAVEN!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CeliacAndCfsCrusader Apprentice

Minniejack.......I baked this for the first time today (it's cooling now) and I'll have to say......I'm amazed! You wouldn't know it wasn't a flour crust!

This is our superbowl pizza! and I'm soooooo ready!

One question tho, is it really necessary to cool for a long time?

What is your experience with 'impatience'?

UPDATE!

Oh MG! that was the best pizza I've ever had!

Just like take out!

You all have GOT to try it!

HEAVEN!

Which one did you just try?

gfbatali Newbie

Itried livwell gluten-free pizza crust from England .REEEEEEEEEALLY TASTY AND EVEN IUSED THEM TO PREPARE EGG AND MOZZARELLA CHEESE PIE

tmbarke Apprentice

I'm sorry!

Glutenfreepizza.com

Cream cheese, egg, parmesan, mozarella and I added garlic and italian seasoning too then baked.

I missed pizza so much!

minniejack Contributor

sorry I didn't get back in time for your superbowl pizza. Tons of snow around here.

The first time I made the cr cheese crust, I sort of forgot it was in the fridge for a few days and it was still fantastic. Like you said, you would have never known it wasn't flour.

I baked the Udi's on a straight rack in the oven for 10 mins and burnt it! At least my guests had Papa John's so I could smell greatness from afar. :D The directions didn't call for it to be baked that way, but I was going by the Foods by George Pizza directions. ;) I have one more pack in freezer for future reference.

Just had a thought, I think I'm going to make several of the cr cheese during this new winter storm and then freeze them. Way cheaper than other gluten-free pizzas out there.

mbrookes Community Regular

I have been happy with the John's Red Mill mix. Am I missing out? I guess since all the pizza I'm used to is chain take out I don't know really good pizza. I see the crust as a way to get the good stuff from the plate to my mouth. And I load on the good stuff!

Dada2hapas Rookie

I think I'm going to make several of the cr cheese during this new winter storm and then freeze them. Way cheaper than other gluten-free pizzas out there.

Thanks to everyone for sharing great info! I really like the cream cheese crust, it's awesome! Thanks!

As far a cost & convenience (also taste and texture), I am very much enjoying frozen pizza crusts from French Meadow Bakery. Six 10.5 inch pizza crusts for $13.50 is a great deal! Open Original Shared Link

I've ordered lots of gluten-free pizza from Chicago Connection, with zero cc issues, and that's the frozen crust they use. I was told they keep gluten-free cheese, sauce, toppings, and crusts in a separate area, and have a dedicated oven/room for making gluten-free pizza.

However, there are times I crave a deep dish gluten pizza, so still looking for ideas.

Thanks,

-D

• 2 months later...
minniejack Contributor

Just found another crust that so far is my all time fave.

Schar's. Thick, chewy. I'm thinking if I put some butter on it, it'll taste like Pizza Hut's. Yummm.

At 1st the size looked incredibly small, but because of the thickness, the 2 pizzas contained in the pack was enough for a family of four 2 teens and 2 adults.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

However, there are times I crave a deep dish gluten pizza, so still looking for ideas.

Thanks,

-D

If you want deep dish, try Bob's Red Mill pizza crust mix. This stuff makes amazing bread for sandwich buns, actually, I like it better as bread than pizza crust. When making pizza with it, you want to season it up a bit, because other wise it just tastes like bread with sauce on it. But it handles baking very thickly very well, and makes a lovely crust that won't break your teeth. I'm asking for pizza crust mix for Christmas because it makes such good sandwich buns. My next experiment is to put it in a loaf pan....

Archived