Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SJR

Anybody Else Missing "Real" Bread?

I think I killed a mixer trying to make one of the gluten-free Pantry boxes. :P Wasn't worth it either but I don't want to risk the new mixer. I'm thinking about getting a Sunbeam 5891 breadmaker. I can't afford much else and that one has pretty decent reviews for a cheaper one. Do you all use a bread maker or do you just make it by hand when you bake?

No breadmaker...all by hand

as far as bread goes... never was big into anyways, so it didn't represent too much of a loss, initially. What I did miss right away was not having the convenience of making a sandwich for work, but I just packed other leftovers.

It was pasta and pizza that was the big deal. Again, I could easily say "pass" but my husband felt bad about having them for supper when I couldn't eat them. I very quickly found Tinkyada - and guess what -- my husband prefers that now over what we had been eating before!

For pizza crust, I use Namaste's pizza crust mix.

My bread crisis came during the holidays. Tho I was not big on bread for bread's sake, I love stuffing!! So for the Thanksgiving bird, I prepared Choebe's focaccia bread mix. Made a great stuffing. At New Year's I made Namaste's bread mix for the bread for my stuffing. My daughter (also recently gluten-free) enjoyed what I didn't use for stuffing as toast for breakfast.

I recently made the Choebe's focaccia bread mix again, to serve with a pasta meal, and enjoyed it in its own right. So I am going to prepare it again. This time I am going to prepare it in 2 rectagular flat breads (following instructions on the bag) to make - guess what - bread for sandwiches! It will be the first time I take a sandwich to work in 6 months.

Pancakes are relatively easy to make gluten-free, and it's not so easy to tell the difference. In fact, I saw a recent post about how a gluten-eater shoveled 8 pancakes down their throat, and had absolutely no idea they were gluten-free.

I've never been a big pancake eater but my hub & kids are. Hub puts some cinnamon, ginger, cloves & a splash of vanilla in Gluten-full pancakes & its delish. This would probably work well for gluten-free pancakes.