Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease Read more... ×
2 2
MeghanEileenReilly

Severe Itching And No Rash

Rate this topic

I had same story. Cutting out dairy and gluten solved it. After a few years it came back. Not 100% sure yet but people should know that, at least in some people CORN can trigger DH and may also trigger coeliac type response in people with coeliac. Read the research:

https://www.jaad.org/article/S0190-9622(09)00673-2/fulltext - Dermatitis herpetiformis exacerbated by cornstarch

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3820067/ - Maize Prolamins Could Induce a Gluten-Like Cellular Immune Response in Some Celiac Disease Patients

Shame corn is in 99% of gluten free bread. I now eat no processed food and only naturally gluten, dairy and corn free food. Since eliminating corn, seems I am back on track. Note, corn is found in many pills, like paracetmol, indigestion tablets etc also need to be avoided unless strictly necessary..

Your doc is highly unlikely to know or believe either that corn could do this or (in my experience) that gluten can cause these itches with no rash. The science of coeliac is in its infancy.

Exposure takes a few days to bring on as itch/crawling anywhere, is worse at night, subsides in 3-7 days, will sometimes cause red bumps on my head or elsewhere. As far as I can tell after a 1yr elimination and food diary.

I have had problem with sever itching all over when I go to bed. When I went to the doctor he prescribed a cream. The second doctor prescribed a psoriasis cream, the 3rd doctor said I had Irritable Bowl (nothing to do). When my body is warm I itch & throw off the covers even in winter. Different foods hardened or softened the stool. I had allergy tests done by a 4th doctor & no allergies. Finally after years, I got around to try Gluten free foods & the itching stopped. When I eat Gluten it comes back & I get soft stools, if I fully clean the Anus there is less fluid discharge & the itching is less. It's as if the Gluten makes the bowel push out the Gluten quicker & softer stool results & any Gluten carried by the stools creates itching. I believe something in the way they process wheat is the problem. More & more people I talk to are experiencing this. I hope this helps someone. I know what my problem is & the only way to fix it is to stop eating any Gluten. If you can avoid it when you eat out.

On 2/5/2010 at 4:30 PM, MeghanEileenReilly said:

Hi everyone,

I am 24 and 3 years ago, my body started itching all over and I had a prickling sensation all over my body like bugs were crawling on me, but no rash whatsoever. For the past three years, I have been on an endless search from doctor to doctor, blood tests, skin biopsies to no avail. Everything comes up negative and doctors look at me like I am crazy, because I look completely normal. There is no rash, bumps, hives, to see how bad I am suffering. Doctors are absolutely puzzled and don't have any answers. I've been on every anti-histamine, nerve drugs, psychotropic medications, etc and I am still suffering. I feel like my situation is only getting worse. I used to be able to function and carry out my day but it has become so bad, I am unable to work or do anything.

My sister is a celiac and I have recently cut out all gluten/dairy from my diet, even though the doctors said it wouldn't make a difference. I have not noticed any difference yet, so I am discouraged - but it has only been 5 days.

Has anyone else been suffering with this horrible itching all over and NO RASH?? I am going out of my mind and don't know what to do, where to go to get any relief!

ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED!!!! I need to get better and will do anything! :lol:

Meghan Reilly

Hi...I too suffer with this..I was told to take a combination  of Zyrtec and Zantac.. Within 2 days I was not itching anywhere.. ..its worth a try if you are not allergic or intolerant to these antihistamine blockers...good luck!