This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Severe Itching And No Rash

MeghanEileenReilly

Allo-london Rookie

I had same story. Cutting out dairy and gluten solved it. After a few years it came back. Not 100% sure yet but people should know that, at least in some people CORN can trigger DH and may also trigger coeliac type response in people with coeliac. Read the research:

https://www.jaad.org/article/S0190-9622(09)00673-2/fulltext - Dermatitis herpetiformis exacerbated by cornstarch

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3820067/ - Maize Prolamins Could Induce a Gluten-Like Cellular Immune Response in Some Celiac Disease Patients

Shame corn is in 99% of gluten free bread. I now eat no processed food and only naturally gluten, dairy and corn free food. Since eliminating corn, seems I am back on track. Note, corn is found in many pills, like paracetmol, indigestion tablets etc also need to be avoided unless strictly necessary..

Your doc is highly unlikely to know or believe either that corn could do this or (in my experience) that gluten can cause these itches with no rash. The science of coeliac is in its infancy.

Exposure takes a few days to bring on as itch/crawling anywhere, is worse at night, subsides in 3-7 days, will sometimes cause red bumps on my head or elsewhere. As far as I can tell after a 1yr elimination and food diary.

• 6 months later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RButch Newbie

I have had problem with sever itching all over when I go to bed. When I went to the doctor he prescribed a cream. The second doctor prescribed a psoriasis cream, the 3rd doctor said I had Irritable Bowl (nothing to do). When my body is warm I itch & throw off the covers even in winter. Different foods hardened or softened the stool. I had allergy tests done by a 4th doctor & no allergies. Finally after years, I got around to try Gluten free foods & the itching stopped. When I eat Gluten it comes back & I get soft stools, if I fully clean the Anus there is less fluid discharge & the itching is less. It's as if the Gluten makes the bowel push out the Gluten quicker & softer stool results & any Gluten carried by the stools creates itching. I believe something in the way they process wheat is the problem. More & more people I talk to are experiencing this. I hope this helps someone. I know what my problem is & the only way to fix it is to stop eating any Gluten. If you can avoid it when you eat out.

PennyK Newbie
On 2/5/2010 at 4:30 PM, MeghanEileenReilly said:

Hi everyone,

I am 24 and 3 years ago, my body started itching all over and I had a prickling sensation all over my body like bugs were crawling on me, but no rash whatsoever. For the past three years, I have been on an endless search from doctor to doctor, blood tests, skin biopsies to no avail. Everything comes up negative and doctors look at me like I am crazy, because I look completely normal. There is no rash, bumps, hives, to see how bad I am suffering. Doctors are absolutely puzzled and don't have any answers. I've been on every anti-histamine, nerve drugs, psychotropic medications, etc and I am still suffering. I feel like my situation is only getting worse. I used to be able to function and carry out my day but it has become so bad, I am unable to work or do anything.

My sister is a celiac and I have recently cut out all gluten/dairy from my diet, even though the doctors said it wouldn't make a difference. I have not noticed any difference yet, so I am discouraged - but it has only been 5 days.

Has anyone else been suffering with this horrible itching all over and NO RASH?? I am going out of my mind and don't know what to do, where to go to get any relief!

ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED!!!! I need to get better and will do anything! :lol:

Meghan Reilly

Hi...I too suffer with this..I was told to take a combination  of Zyrtec and Zantac.. Within 2 days I was not itching anywhere.. ..its worth a try if you are not allergic or intolerant to these antihistamine blockers...good luck!

• 1 year later...
Pamjo8089 Rookie
On 2/5/2010 at 7:50 PM, mushroom said:

Hi, Meghan, and welcome.

Don't be discouraged quite yet, five days is a very short time. Give it another week or two and if it still persists I would start suspecting another food culprit. For me, it was potatoes. Soy also gave me the itchies, but I had a rash with that. But no rash with potatoes. Everyone reacts differently to different things, though, so for you it could be something else, although most likely be one of the major allergens.

Hi Megan, I had the same exact symptoms. Sometimes I wonder if it's a glutton mishap or a food allergy which I believe are caused by consumption of gluten. I did review my diet and I can a few offenders such as soy. I am sensitive to soy unless it is moderate amount ,and this particular food used a lot of soy oil. I'm also sensitive to dairy products. So I try to make my own coconut ice cream variations and no dairy  more than one day a eat week. I read the labels on almost everything and if something does not say gluten-free or certifide gluten-free I look them up online. And if the best foods do not indicate theyre gluten-free, I try to steer away from them regardless if it seems they have no gluten this product. I use antihistamines, an anti-itch cream, does over the counter. They do make me sleepy so I'll use them before bed. I try to eat lightly during these episodes such as white rice, a small amount of bananas, a little applesauce. and only homemade toast without yeast. I avoid safflower and sunflower oils because both come from flowers and I am very allergic to flowers. If that's not an option for you then go ahead and eat it. Everyone's not the same. As far as butters concerned, I buy ghee.its rather expensive where you buy it. Walmart is a little less expensive. It does have a different flavor than butter, but you get used to it and it doesn't contain butter ingredients. I have had no problem with it. This diet has definitely been expensive and frustrating, and it's changed my life style. Was glad to get the notice because it did explain a lot of other things still. I've been from doctor to doctor they can't agree on my diagnosis or what to do about it and that is also frustrating. I have no doubt on what I have just knowing my symptoms my blood work despite any results of a biopsy, and if I can't find a doctor who agrees with that, I'll walk out and keep looking because I'm not in the mood to be irritated. This is bad enough. I hope this helps you and anyone else that reads this. It's a long road and a big burden to carry and i know people who have this disease. They feel a lot better now and are living normal lives, I have and I hope the same for all of us. Don't give up. God bless. Pb ?

PS: blood work to help with thyroid levels has helped. Mine has fluctuated from high to low and I believe the Celiac has a lot to do with that. Also they found through my blood work that I was very low on vitamin D3 and had to actually be prescribed a high dose of that. That's not to say everyone will need that but I believe this diet is defunct  of some minerals, vitamins and fiber.

Edited by Pamjo8089
Correct some Grammer and to add more facts.
knitty kitty Grand Master
2 hours ago, Pamjo8089 said:

Hi Megan, I had the same exact symptoms. Sometimes I wonder if it's a glutton mishap or a food allergy which I believe are caused by consumption of gluten. I did review my diet and I can a few offenders such as soy. I am sensitive to soy unless it is moderate amount ,and this particular food used a lot of soy oil. I'm also sensitive to dairy products. So I try to make my own coconut ice cream variations and no dairy  more than one day a eat week. I read the labels on almost everything and if something does not say gluten-free or certifide gluten-free I look them up online. And if the best foods do not indicate theyre gluten-free, I try to steer away from them regardless if it seems they have no gluten this product. I use antihistamines, an anti-itch cream, does over the counter. They do make me sleepy so I'll use them before bed. I try to eat lightly during these episodes such as white rice, a small amount of bananas, a little applesauce. and only homemade toast without yeast. I avoid safflower and sunflower oils because both come from flowers and I am very allergic to flowers. If that's not an option for you then go ahead and eat it. Everyone's not the same. As far as butters concerned, I buy ghee.its rather expensive where you buy it. Walmart is a little less expensive. It does have a different flavor than butter, but you get used to it and it doesn't contain butter ingredients. I have had no problem with it. This diet has definitely been expensive and frustrating, and it's changed my life style. Was glad to get the notice because it did explain a lot of other things still. I've been from doctor to doctor they can't agree on my diagnosis or what to do about it and that is also frustrating. I have no doubt on what I have just knowing my symptoms my blood work despite any results of a biopsy, and if I can't find a doctor who agrees with that, I'll walk out and keep looking because I'm not in the mood to be irritated. This is bad enough. I hope this helps you and anyone else that reads this. It's a long road and a big burden to carry and i know people who have this disease. They feel a lot better now and are living normal lives, I have and I hope the same for all of us. Don't give up. God bless. Pb ?

PS: blood work to help with thyroid levels has helped. Mine has fluctuated from high to low and I believe the Celiac has a lot to do with that. Also they found through my blood work that I was very low on vitamin D3 and had to actually be prescribed a high dose of that. That's not to say everyone will need that but I believe this diet is defunct  of some minerals, vitamins and fiber.

Hi, this is an old post and the other posters might not be around.

Yes, Celiac Disease causes malabsorption which results in malnutrition.  Vitamin and mineral deficiencies can occur.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3820055/

And the itchy skin can be a sign of B12 deficiency....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-5547555/72-year-old-craft-business-owner-itching-vitamin-deficiency.html

Vitamin B12 deficiency affects the nerves and that registers as itching.  I experienced this myself. B12 supplementation helps!

My vitamin D level showed severe deficiency early on, and I found that was just the tip of the iceberg.  I learned that the group of B vitamins and vitamin C are water soluble and are not stored for long in the body, so they must be replenished every day.  Celiacs have difficulty absorbing the fat soluble vitamins, A, D, E, and K, too.  Sticking to a healthy diet like the Autoimmune Paleo Protocol diet is healing, but sometimes supplementing with vitamins and minerals is necessary to correct a deficiency.  

You might consider talking to a dietician and getting checked for other deficiencies.  

Hope this helps!

• 2 weeks later...
KB0317 Newbie
On 2/5/2010 at 6:30 PM, MeghanEileenReilly said:

Hi everyone,

I am 24 and 3 years ago, my body started itching all over and I had a prickling sensation all over my body like bugs were crawling on me, but no rash whatsoever. For the past three years, I have been on an endless search from doctor to doctor, blood tests, skin biopsies to no avail. Everything comes up negative and doctors look at me like I am crazy, because I look completely normal. There is no rash, bumps, hives, to see how bad I am suffering. Doctors are absolutely puzzled and don't have any answers. I've been on every anti-histamine, nerve drugs, psychotropic medications, etc and I am still suffering. I feel like my situation is only getting worse. I used to be able to function and carry out my day but it has become so bad, I am unable to work or do anything.

My sister is a celiac and I have recently cut out all gluten/dairy from my diet, even though the doctors said it wouldn't make a difference. I have not noticed any difference yet, so I am discouraged - but it has only been 5 days.

Has anyone else been suffering with this horrible itching all over and NO RASH?? I am going out of my mind and don't know what to do, where to go to get any relief!

Meghan Reilly

Meghan, I too have had the extremely frustrating itching with no rash. My doctor had already sent in my blood work to test for food allergies. I have Celiac, found out right before Thanksgiving. I also am allergic to cow's milk, egg whites and shrimp. I want to encourage you to be persistent and stick to your new eating plan. My doctor recommended I get the Autoimmune Paleo Cookbook. It's amazing, I'm learning so much. I'm on methylated prenatal vitamins, vitamin D3 50,000, and a prescription probiotic due to my horrible lab results, I basically have become malnourished from continuing to eat wheat not knowing I was allergic, it also resulted in me developing leaky gut. Best of luck to you! My doctor tells me I'm high maintenance, she says all of her patients are to be high maintenance. Stand up for yourself and your care. 

Kiley

squirmingitch Veteran

Hi Kiley, just FYI, you are responding to a post made in 2010. That poster is not around anymore.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master
2 hours ago, KB0317 said:

Meghan, I too have had the extremely frustrating itching with no rash. My doctor had already sent in my blood work to test for food allergies. I have Celiac, found out right before Thanksgiving. I also am allergic to cow's milk, egg whites and shrimp. I want to encourage you to be persistent and stick to your new eating plan. My doctor recommended I get the Autoimmune Paleo Cookbook. It's amazing, I'm learning so much. I'm on methylated prenatal vitamins, vitamin D3 50,000, and a prescription probiotic due to my horrible lab results, I basically have become malnourished from continuing to eat wheat not knowing I was allergic, it also resulted in me developing leaky gut. Best of luck to you! My doctor tells me I'm high maintenance, she says all of her patients are to be high maintenance. Stand up for yourself and your care. 

Kiley

You are lucky to have a doctor who is on top of things!  I love that he or she recommended the AIP diet.  Though not much research has been done (some IBD patients at Scripps in San Diego achieved 78% remission in a tiny study which is promising), I think eating real food (non-processed) is a great idea for everyone. 

It will take time to heal from celiac disease.  My best advice is to avoid processed foods for a while (even gluten-free) and do not eat out until you are feeling better and are willing to risk getting sick.  I am not saying never eat processed foods again as they are so convenient, but It is just easier to eat simple single ingredient foods, like an avocado rather than a highly processed food like a cookie.  

Your itchy skin may very well be related to your allergies and celiac disease and may resolve soon.  Be sure your doctor checks your liver which can be impacted by celiac disease.  Liver issues can cause itchy skin without a rash (as can so many things), but best to focus on healing from celiac disease.  You know you have that!  

• 1 month later...
Felix Nuts Tomcat Apprentice

Welcome to the 'club'  I get this itching when exposed to gluten.  I have to wash my hands after making my husbands sandwiches to prevent it.

MisterSeth Enthusiast

yeah i had this. i think its from the skin not being oily enough from fat malabsorption

Fenrir Community Regular

Why are we necro posting something  this old. 

cyclinglady Grand Master
23 minutes ago, Fenrir said:

Why are we necro posting something  this old. 

Because we are member driven? The topic is still valid.  

Felix Nuts Tomcat Apprentice

Many of us celiacs deal with this.  My itching is often caused by dryness of the skin due to malabsorption of oils.  Skin moisturizers resolve the issue for me. 

• 4 weeks later...
Robert Hafker Newbie
On 2/5/2010 at 7:30 PM, MeghanEileenReilly said:

Hi everyone,

Meghan Reilly

My Father has exactly what you described in your posting from 2010. I would appreciate any feedback on if you were able to determine the root cause of your terrible itching.  My email is rhafker@aol.com thank you for any input you can provide.