jasonD2

Are "gluten-free" Oats Safe?

Rate this topic

can celiacs tolerate oats as long as they are gluten free? ive been eating Eco-Planet hot cereal for the past week. it says they are certified gluten free but my stools have been very loose and floating since i started eating it. could there be a connection? is it maybe just the fiber content?

10% of celiacs react to the protein in oats.

They may be free of wheat, barley, and rye, but you may be reacting to the oats themselves.

Does the reaction to oats cause villi damage? figures im in the 10%

Yes, for the 10% who react to oat protein, the reaction is identical to that caused by the other three gluten grains.

So I just destroyed my intestines for 5 days eating something that is labelled certified gluten free?

Jason, I don't think you can afford to be experimenting with foods right now. :( I, personally, would not risk eating oats, but especially not in your shoes.

Could you be reacting to the increase in fiber? I believe it's really important to add oats back slowly so your gut can adjust to the added fiber.

I was thinking that too but not sure- thats the most frustrating thing with all of this...I dont know if its a food/gluten reaction that causes my bowel changes or if its something else. I didnt experience any other symptoms after eating the oats...didnt even have bloating and actually felt pretty good the past few days.

I know- but ive been limiting myself for so long, so when WILL be a good time to start trying new things?

Jason, for now, stick to things that are simple and do not raise questions. Give your body a chance to heal. Then, slowly, introduce new foods, one at a time. For me, oats would be the last thing I would try. I don't know if I am in the 10%. I have not eaten anything with oats in almost ten years.

I can eat most foods that are processed, as long as they do not have intentional gluten in the ingredients. There is a list of companies that will not disguise gluten, but rather will clearly disclose it. I prefer to buy their products, but will also buy from other companies when there are only ingredients that are never a source of gluten.

Even when there is a "gluten free" statement on the label, there can never be an absolute guarantee that cross contact did not occur at some stage in the processing of some ingredient. Any company that claims to guarantee gluten-free status is lying. Any company that states that they "cannot guarantee" no cross contact is just being honest.

how much longer do i have to wait though? theres no diversity in my diet and i have various nutritional deficiencies as a result.

Also I think the companies that are certified gluten-free can be trusted...they have dedicated facilities and batch test

I'm one of those who can not do the oats. I've tried several times and it does not work. I figure oats are for horses and cows but not me.

The one time I tried gluten free oats I reacted pretty strongly. I have not tried them since and that was last June. I doubt I will ever try them again.

You better stay away from oats because you cannnot guarantee that they are not cross contaminated with other grains even if labled gluten free and they contains similer protin as wheat