Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jasonD2

Are "gluten-free" Oats Safe?

can celiacs tolerate oats as long as they are gluten free? ive been eating Eco-Planet hot cereal for the past week. it says they are certified gluten free but my stools have been very loose and floating since i started eating it. could there be a connection? is it maybe just the fiber content?

Endoscopy & blood panel all negative 12/09 after being strict w/ gluten free diet

As of 8/09 - Candida Overgrowth, C.difficile overgrowth, elevated fecal anti-gliadin, elevated putrefactive SCFA's

Developed severe lactose intolerance, IBS and food sensitivities in 02 after contracting Giardia from a river in Oregon

Had negative celiac blood work in 02

Elevated stool anti-gliadin Ab (21 with 10 being cutoff for normal) - 2008

Positive for DQ8- 2008

Tested high positive for egg, dairy, soy, ginger, mustard - 2008

Lactulose/Mannitol (leaky gut) test indicated slight intestinal permeability

Improved with gluten free diet but still have spastic constipation

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

10% of celiacs react to the protein in oats.

They may be free of wheat, barley, and rye, but you may be reacting to the oats themselves.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

Does the reaction to oats cause villi damage? figures im in the 10%

Endoscopy & blood panel all negative 12/09 after being strict w/ gluten free diet

As of 8/09 - Candida Overgrowth, C.difficile overgrowth, elevated fecal anti-gliadin, elevated putrefactive SCFA's

Developed severe lactose intolerance, IBS and food sensitivities in 02 after contracting Giardia from a river in Oregon

Positive for DQ8- 2008

Yes, for the 10% who react to oat protein, the reaction is identical to that caused by the other three gluten grains.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

So I just destroyed my intestines for 5 days eating something that is labelled certified gluten free?

Positive for DQ8- 2008

Jason, I don't think you can afford to be experimenting with foods right now. :( I, personally, would not risk eating oats, but especially not in your shoes.

Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973

Lactose free 1990

(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's

Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004

Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007

Soy free March 2008

Nightshade free Feb 2009

Citric acid free June 2009

Potato starch free July 2009

(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009

Legume free March 2010

Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

I was thinking that too but not sure- thats the most frustrating thing with all of this...I dont know if its a food/gluten reaction that causes my bowel changes or if its something else. I didnt experience any other symptoms after eating the oats...didnt even have bloating and actually felt pretty good the past few days.

Positive for DQ8- 2008

I know- but ive been limiting myself for so long, so when WILL be a good time to start trying new things?

Positive for DQ8- 2008

Jason, for now, stick to things that are simple and do not raise questions. Give your body a chance to heal. Then, slowly, introduce new foods, one at a time. For me, oats would be the last thing I would try. I don't know if I am in the 10%. I have not eaten anything with oats in almost ten years.

I can eat most foods that are processed, as long as they do not have intentional gluten in the ingredients. There is a list of companies that will not disguise gluten, but rather will clearly disclose it. I prefer to buy their products, but will also buy from other companies when there are only ingredients that are never a source of gluten.

Even when there is a "gluten free" statement on the label, there can never be an absolute guarantee that cross contact did not occur at some stage in the processing of some ingredient. Any company that claims to guarantee gluten-free status is lying. Any company that states that they "cannot guarantee" no cross contact is just being honest.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

how much longer do i have to wait though? theres no diversity in my diet and i have various nutritional deficiencies as a result.

Also I think the companies that are certified gluten-free can be trusted...they have dedicated facilities and batch test

Positive for DQ8- 2008

I'm one of those who can not do the oats. I've tried several times and it does not work. I figure oats are for horses and cows but not me.

1960s-had symptoms-could have been before but don't remember

1970s-told had colitis or nervous stomach-was given phenobarbital, felt great but still had symptoms

Me, dd and ds diagnosed with Lactose Intolerance

2000-osteopenia

2001-had stroke because of medications I was given

June 2003-saw Chiropractor who specialized in nutrition: Celiac Disease not Lactose Intolerance, went gluten free with once in awhile cheating, off soy and dairy for about 6 months

June 2003-found excellent doctor for fibromyalgia (who has found out she has Celiac Disease)

May 2006-went gluten free with NO cheating-excellent! Made all the difference in the world

The one time I tried gluten free oats I reacted pretty strongly. I have not tried them since and that was last June. I doubt I will ever try them again.

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

You better stay away from oats because you cannnot guarantee that they are not cross contaminated with other grains even if labled gluten free and they contains similer protin as wheat