This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

New! Betty Crocker Gluten Free Baking Mixes.

CelestialNav

CelestialNav Newbie

Good News! Betty Crocker now has Gluten Free Baking Mixes. These Baking Mixes are made in a dedicated Gluten Free Plant as well. So, there's no possibility of cross-contamination. There are 4 Baking Mixes and they are: Betty Crocker Gluten free Choclate Chip Cookie Mix, Betty Crocker Gluten Free Devils Food Cake Mix, Betty Crocker Gluten Free Yellow Cake Mix and Betty Crocker Gluten Free Brownie Mix. The other Good News about these Gluten Free Mixes is that they are only about $3.50 a box, which is way cheaper than other Gluten Free Baking Mixes out there. There are some really fun Gluten Free Recipes that you can make from these Baking Mixes that are on the Betty Crocker Website. I made an absolutely marvelous Peach Cobbler with the Gluten Free Yellow Cake Mix that was out of this world!!!

THESE NEW GLUTEN FREE BAKING MIXES TOTALLY ROCK!!!!! :wub:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

Good News! Betty Crocker now has Gluten Free Baking Mixes. These Baking Mixes are made in a dedicated Gluten Free Plant as well. So, there's no possibility of cross-contamination. There are 4 Baking Mixes and they are: Betty Crocker Gluten free Choclate Chip Cookie Mix, Betty Crocker Gluten Free Devils Food Cake Mix, Betty Crocker Gluten Free Yellow Cake Mix and Betty Crocker Gluten Free Brownie Mix. The other Good News about these Gluten Free Mixes is that they are only about $3.50 a box, which is way cheaper than other Gluten Free Baking Mixes out there. There are some really fun Gluten Free Recipes that you can make from these Baking Mixes that are on the Betty Crocker Website. I made an absolutely marvelous Peach Cobbler with the Gluten Free Yellow Cake Mix that was out of this world!!!

THESE NEW GLUTEN FREE BAKING MIXES TOTALLY ROCK!!!!! :wub:

They are great! And I use them all the time. But you must pass on your peach cobbler recipe!

When I have the need for desert for company, I use the chocolate cake mix. I serve it with Vanilla-Raspberry Swirl Ice Cream with Raspberry Melba Sauce drizzled over the plate.........to die for!!

CelestialNav Newbie

They are great! And I use them all the time. But you must pass on your peach cobbler recipe!

When I have the need for desert for company, I use the chocolate cake mix. I serve it with Vanilla-Raspberry Swirl Ice Cream with Raspberry Melba Sauce drizzled over the plate.........to die for!!

I peel and slice about 8 to 10 peaches, in a big bowl. I spice up the Peaches with 6 to 8 packets of Sun Crystals Sweetener, 1/2 tsp Cinnamon and about 4 or 5 shakes of nutmeg. Let the flavors and peaches marry-up for 3 hours. I butter the sides and bottom of a standard Pyrex Baking Dish. I preheat the oven to 325F. I make the Betty Crocker Gluten Free Yellow Cake Mix per the directions. I then pour the juicy spiced peaches into the Pyrex Baking Dish, then I pour the Yellow Cake Mix on top. But, only just enough to cover all of the peaches.

You may have Cake Mix left over. But, that's OK, make some cupcakes with it. Bake for about 25 minutes or until crust is golden brown and the cake part is done, do the toothpick test. Take out of oven, let only partially cool, as you serve it warm with Vanilla Ice Cream or Fresh Whipped Cream. It's hard for me to write down this recipe as I usually just whip it up. Know what I mean?

I have a totally decadent "Death by Chocolate" Recipe that I make with the Betty Crocker Gluten Free Brownie Mix.

I also add Pecans or Macadamia Nuts to the Betty Crocker Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Mix. Makes mucho yum Cookies! :P

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

The only one I haven't tried is the Brownie mix. I made a German Chocolate cake using the mix and the Coconut-Pecan frosting recipe from American Test Kitchen--excellent. I made the yellow cake with 3/4 cup of mini chocolate chips added and poured melted almond bark over it when done. Very good. I make the chocolate chip cookies all the time. My favorite cookie has always been chocolate chip.

Will have to try the peach cobbler recipe. Sound really good.My dh will love it.

I also want to make a Mississippi Cake out of the Brownie Mix. I'll just add nuts and coconut to the mix. Frost it with marshmallow fluff when it comes out of the oven. When cool I'll frost that with chocolate frosting. Need to go put those items on my shopping list.

ItsaDollThang Rookie

I'm making the vanilla cake as I type. Thanks for the peach recipe. I'm going to try that next time I think sans the artificial sweetener. Brown sugar would be good for this too, I think, and I just cannot stand the fake stuff. I'd rather eat less and make it with legit sugar.

I've got a great recipe for a pear and date roll. If this cake mix works like the real one does I'll try it out and I'll post it for you all to have too. I might have to use 2 boxes I think for that one, but it's heaven, well worth the effort.

VickiLynn Newbie

I've used each of these mixes as well. They are great for a quick and easy dessert fix! I try to keep at least one mix in the cupboard at all times.

newgfcali Rookie

I just tried the chocolate chip cookie mix today and it turned out great. I just got my labs back from entero last week even tho I've been eating gluten-free for a few months (on what turned out to be a pretty good hunch). I'm also casein intolerant and didn't realize this mix needed butter. So I dashed to the store and got some dairy-free margarine and the cookies turned out really well. Even my parents liked them and my mom is a really good baker.

Does anyone have suggestions for other butter substitutes in baking besides margarine?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Wenmin Enthusiast

I just tried the chocolate chip cookie mix today and it turned out great. I just got my labs back from entero last week even tho I've been eating gluten-free for a few months (on what turned out to be a pretty good hunch). I'm also casein intolerant and didn't realize this mix needed butter. So I dashed to the store and got some dairy-free margarine and the cookies turned out really well. Even my parents liked them and my mom is a really good baker.

Does anyone have suggestions for other butter substitutes in baking besides margarine?

Try unsweetend apple sauce. I usually substitute it for oil as we are on a lowfat diet as well as a gluten free diet.

Wenmin

jerseyangel Proficient

The peach cobbler recipe sounds great--I may have to try that. :D

I like to make a spice cake out of the Yellow Cake Mix--I add a teaspoon of cinnamon, and 1/2 teaspoon each of nutmeg, ginger, and ground cloves to the dry mix and then make according to the directions. It's good topped with either cream cheese or butter cream (my favorite) frosting.

elle's mom Contributor

Try unsweetend apple sauce. I usually substitute it for oil as we are on a lowfat diet as well as a gluten free diet.

Wenmin

So do you just sub directly the amount of oil for the amount of unsweetened applesauce? I've never heard of that! There is so much to learn......

katinagj Apprentice

I just this weekend tried the brownie mix and they taste like the real thing! Very excited that I will still have this yummy quick fix dessert to keep me from taking a bite of DH's bagels! lol.

Wenmin Enthusiast

I have never substituted the applesauce for oil/butter in Gluten Free Mixes, but have used it in Regular Mixes and yes it is about 1:1 ratio. I don't buy in big jars because I don't like applesauce, but instead I buy in individual servings and can use what I want without wasting the "whole jar." Most regular recipes call for about 1/4 cup oil, which is about 1 single serving cup size. It will make your baked goods more moist than normal.

Wenmin

CelestialNav Newbie

If you have a well stocked Health Food Store near you, a really good butter replacement is Canoleo. It is totally non-hyrogenated and completely dairy-free and it tastes like butter too. You might find other non-hyrogenated, dairy-free butter replacements at the Health Food Store too. Whole Foods has a bigger selection if you're lucky enough to be living near a Whole Foods.

newgfcali Rookie

Thanks for the great suggestions, everyone. I'll try them all. LOL! I'm very lucky to have a Whole Foods within about 45 minutes' drive, plus a Trader Joe's and a really super health food store called Harvest House.

Made my first bread from scratch yesterday. Not a total disaster, but it had a huge hole running along the top of the whole loaf, which seems to be from letting it rise too long. Will try again and watch the rise more closely.

It's a whole new world, this baking gluten-free. Will take some practice. :blink:

torie224 Newbie

Hi all,

I tried the Betty Crocker Yellow Cake mix. My husband liked it, but the cake got hard after a day and I had to throw it out. Has anyone else experience this problem? It could've been because I had frosted the cake with a cream cheese frosing and then refrigerated it. I'm still learning all the tips and tricks associated with gluten free baking, so any advice would be much appreciated.

Archived