glutenfreeinminnesota

"Starch" In Shredded Cheese

Rate this topic

I started my gluten free diet in November 09...have been doing great thanks to the info on this site!! Though, I have researched so much I forget things time to time....I was recently looking to buy some shredded cheese, and looked at the label as I always do, and found something that confused me. It says "potato starch, starch" in the ingredients....I know potato starch is fine, but is just plain starch bad? For some reason I thought it was...but maybe I am just confused, please let me know! Thank you all for your help and support so far!

If the 'starch' is wheat starch it should say so. Sometimes the best thing to do when in doubt is to call the company and ask.

The single word "starch," when listed as an ingredient, is corn starch. If it is from any other source it will identify the source, such as "potato starch," or will be labeled with some other word, as in "food starch."

I came across an article awhile back that said that foods made in the USA that contain starch, or modified food starch, unless otherwise stated, are always a form of corn starch. But foods made outside of the US, that's anybodies guess and calling the customer line would be in order.

Foods sold in the United States must conform to US labeling rules, regardless of their origin.