This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Travel To New Haven, Ct Area

waitingdorothea

waitingdorothea Explorer

I am headed to North Haven in two weeks for business, which is apparently very close to New Haven. Does anyone have any restaurant suggestions for New Haven, North Haven, or anywhere close?

The only success I've had online is an Outback in North Haven.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Katie Dana Newbie

I am headed to North Haven in two weeks for business, which is apparently very close to New Haven. Does anyone have any restaurant suggestions for New Haven, North Haven, or anywhere close?

Yes, there are lots of options! In New Haven:

Claire's (Open Original Shared Link 1000 Chapel St.) is a vegetarian restaurant with organic, local foods. They do one gluten-free baked good per day (today was banana chocolate chip cupcakes) and have a gluten-free menu available upon request. I recommend Huevos Javier (all corn tortilla chips with homemade salsa) or Avocado Salad (ask for no croutons or bread).

Basta (Open Original Shared Link 1006 Chapel St.) is owned by the same people as Claire's, and is right next door. The menu is Italian, and they will prepare any noodle dishes with gluten-free pasta if you call ahead.

Miya's (Open Original Shared Link 68 Howe St.) can accommodate gluten-free diners -- they even have wheat-free soy sauce and wasabi on hand. Call ahead and ask for Bun, the owner/chef, and he can prepare the kitchen in advance.

Judie's (Open Original Shared Link 63 Grove St.) doesn't have a gluten-free menu, but most of their salads are gluten-free if you request no bread. I recommend the chicken pesto salad.

Thali Too (Open Original Shared Link 65 Broadway) is a vegetarian Indian restaurant. Unfortunately, the staff know nothing about gluten allergies, but if you read the menu carefully, you'll be fine. I've eaten there several times and never gotten sick. Most of their dosas are made with only rice flour, and are enormous!

Mezcal (14 Mechanic St.) is a hole-in-the-wall Mexican restaurant with all-corn tortilla chips and mostly gluten-free entrees. They do have whole wheat tortillas for burritos, but as I recall, those were all identified specifically on the menu. Excellent margaritas, too.

Finally, if you're looking to do a little grocery shopping instead of eating out at restaurants all the time:

Edge of the Woods (379 Whalley Ave.) is the local natural foods market. Everything in the store is vegetarian. They have an extensive gluten-free foods section -- their gluten-free dry goods are consistently 25-50% cheaper than at chain grocery stores, but their gluten-free frozen foods are sometimes $1-2 more. Either way, the employees are fairly knowledgeable.

Cheers :)

Katie

• 2 weeks later...
waitingdorothea Explorer

Katie,

Thanks very much for your help. I have had an excellent week here in New Haven. I had good luck with Claire's (which I now wish was also in Chicago), Bell Amici in Guilford (tortellini!!!), and the Omni hotel, which marked up a room service menu for me.

Archived