Evangeline

Edema: Does It Go Away On A Gluten-Free Diet?

Rate this topic

For those of you who suffer with edema (random body swellings): Does it go away after a gluten-free diet?

I began my gluten-free diet 10 days ago. My knees used to swell up very large when I ran and they would stay swollen for 4 days. Then, as young adult, I developed edema on my face with acne. If I had a pimple, it would fill with liquid until it was the size of 1-2 marbles. I would have five of these swellings on my face.

I have since learned to control the edema.

So, does edema go away with a gluten-free diet? Or is it a part of the Celiac Disease that is with me for life? If so, how long did it take for the swelling to disappear after beginning a gluten-free diet?

Can't say if it will for you but it did for me. My feet even went down a full size. I noticed the biggest difference in the first couple months. I still have some morning swelling in my hands and fingers but I think that is more related to my arthritis and it goes away after I have been up for a while.

Mine did--I had swelling in my ankles, fingers, and face especially. When I first went gluten-free, it seemed that my whole body "relaxed". Swelling went down and all I wanted to do was sleep. :)

Mine did--I had swelling in my ankles, fingers, and face especially. When I first went gluten-free, it seemed that my whole body "relaxed". Swelling went down and all I wanted to do was sleep. :)

Wow, that is great. I began a gluten-free diet about a week ago.

I don't have the "traditional" edema on my body. I get it all over my face anywhere there is a pimple. The dermatologists (all seven of them) just kept prescribing more medications. I kept telling them for years that it must be caused by something in my diet. They just shrugged me off. I've since learned to take care of all of my health issues without them (except for emergency situations, of course). They just seem so clueless.

Did it take two weeks for the swelling to go down after starting a gluten-free diet? Or a month? Or six months?