This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Need To Find A Good gluten-free Pizza Crust Recipe

serenajane

serenajane Apprentice

Anyone out there have a good pizza dough recipe. I tried a rice crust frozen cheese pizza "Amy's"

I thought it was ok my husband thought it was horrible. I feel bad he is so good to go the gluten free road with me. Little does he know his taste buds are going to get a work out.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

momxyz Contributor

Anyone out there have a good pizza dough recipe. I tried a rice crust frozen cheese pizza "Amy's"

I thought it was ok my husband thought it was horrible. I feel bad he is so good to go the gluten free road with me. Little does he know his taste buds are going to get a work out.

yes it is a transition!

Instead of a frozen crust,I would try a mix. We tried a couple, a local brand, which was ok. Then we tried Namaste brand pizza crust mix. There are other brands too.

Although he actually prefers the brown rice pasta now (Tinkyada) he hasn't totally transitioned his preference to gluten-free pizza crust. If we're pinched on time, and one pizza will be it... it will be a gluten-free crust. (Otherwise we end up doing his and hers pizzas, which is ok too.)

lizard00 Enthusiast

Our favorite is Carol Fenster's pizza dough. It's great! And my husband is at the point where he would rather have that than anything else. The last time he got "regular" pizza, he complained about how much he missed mine. :)

I can post the recipe for you tomorrow, if you'd like. There's a ton floating around here, and I'm sure most of them are good. I'm sure you'll get lots of ideas to pick from.

mbrookes Community Regular

I use John's Red Mill pizza crust mix. My husband (non-celiac) and I both like it. Of course, if you put enough good stuff on, the crust becomes just a way to get the good stuff from the pan to your mouth.

Any left-over dough makes good bread sticks with the addition of garlic and sesame seeds.

lcbannon Apprentice

I don't have a recipe but I will tell you that we have tried Bob's Red Mill 2times now and I won't be doing it again- I mean its ok but not all that great.

glutenfreeinminnesota Contributor

I was recently out shopping for the Bobs Red Mill which I used in the past, but they were out and directed me to "Full Circle" gluten free pizza crust. It was seasoned nicely and makes TWO pizzas out of one package versus the one pizza I got out of Bob's...It was pretty good, and my none gluten-free boyfriend ate more then I did!

Sweet Cicely Newbie

I always make my own Italian-style pizza and my pizza loving son says it's like a normal one. I use: 400g gluten free flour mix (I use Sch

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bluebonnet Explorer

gluten free pantry has a french bread/pizza mix that was pretty good. it was recommended from this site. next time i make it though i will add some extra honey and salt.

irish daveyboy Community Regular

How about this one,

Pizza Crust like you wouldn't believe!

3385741295_b6e27681a5.webp3385742381_0c5f348553.webp

INGREDIENTS:

1 sachet of dried yeast (7g or 2.25 tsp)

100g rice flour

70g Tapioca flour

2 Tbls of dried milk powder

2 tsp of xanthan gum

1/2 tsp of salt

1 tsp of dried gelatin powder

1 Tbls of italian herbs

2/3 cup of warm water (think temp of babys bottle on back of wrist)

1/2 tsp of caster/superfine sugar

1 tsp of olive oil

1 tsp of apple cider/red wine vinegar

METHOD:

Pre-heat oven to 425F/GasMark 7

In a medium bowl using regular beaters on an electric hand held mixer

blend flours, yeast, dry milk powder, xanthan gum, salt, gelatin and herb seasoning on a low speed.

Add warm water, sugar, olive oil and vinegar, beat for 3 mins

(if mixer bounces around the bowl the dough is too stiff, add water 1 Tbls at a time

until dough does not resist beaters)

The dough will resemble soft bread dough.

(you may also mix in a bread machine on a dough setting)

Grease a 12" pizza pan lightly

( apply oil to kitchen paper and rub over the surface).

Not the tray with holes that's only for re-heating Pizza

Put dough mix in centre of pizza pan sprinkle liberally with some rice flour

using a floured glass (hi-ball tumbler is best sides are parrallel)

roll dough out towards the edges of tin evenly

Make edges thicker to retain toppings

( I just squeezed between my thumb and forefinger all the way around the circumference)

Bake in oven for 10 mins, remove spread with pizza sauce

and grated mozzerella cheese, add your favourite toppings and finish with grated cheddar cheese

Return to oven for a further 20 -25 mins or until the cheese is slightly browned

Sufficient dough for 1 good 12" pizza

Best Regards,

David

P.S.

You will need this conversion program. (courtesy of Gourmet Sleuth.Com)

Open Original Shared Link

purple Community Regular

I don't have a recipe but I will tell you that we have tried Bob's Red Mill 2times now and I won't be doing it again- I mean its ok but not all that great.

Same here, I just tried it for the first time and prefer Carol Fensters recipe much better.

CeliacMom2008 Enthusiast

Here are the conversions:

1 Tbs dry yeast

2/3 cups of brown rice flour

1/2 cup of tapioca flour

This is the BEST pizza crust. My son's best friend (10 years old) prefers this crust to any other (and he's not a Celiac!). We cut the Italian seasoning way back in ours (about 1/2 - 1 teaspoon instead of the tablespoon).

You can make up your own "mixes" when you have time. Just combine all the dry ingredients in a Ziploc and then add wet when you make it. I proof the yeast first when I do it, so I don't add the yeast to the mixes.

I usually double recipe and make 2 pizzas. Then I freeze one of the pizzas for when I need a frozen pizza night.

Reba32 Rookie

if you're not dairy intolerant, this one is awesome!

twe0708 Community Regular

How about this one,

Pizza Crust like you wouldn't believe!

3385741295_b6e27681a5.webp3385742381_0c5f348553.webp

INGREDIENTS:

1 sachet of dried yeast (7g or 2.25 tsp)

100g rice flour

70g Tapioca flour

2 Tbls of dried milk powder

2 tsp of xanthan gum

1/2 tsp of salt

1 tsp of dried gelatin powder

1 Tbls of italian herbs

2/3 cup of warm water (think temp of babys bottle on back of wrist)

1/2 tsp of caster/superfine sugar

1 tsp of olive oil

1 tsp of apple cider/red wine vinegar

METHOD:

Pre-heat oven to 425F/GasMark 7

In a medium bowl using regular beaters on an electric hand held mixer

blend flours, yeast, dry milk powder, xanthan gum, salt, gelatin and herb seasoning on a low speed.

Add warm water, sugar, olive oil and vinegar, beat for 3 mins

(if mixer bounces around the bowl the dough is too stiff, add water 1 Tbls at a time

until dough does not resist beaters)

The dough will resemble soft bread dough.

(you may also mix in a bread machine on a dough setting)

Grease a 12" pizza pan lightly

( apply oil to kitchen paper and rub over the surface).

Not the tray with holes that's only for re-heating Pizza

Put dough mix in centre of pizza pan sprinkle liberally with some rice flour

using a floured glass (hi-ball tumbler is best sides are parrallel)

roll dough out towards the edges of tin evenly

Make edges thicker to retain toppings

( I just squeezed between my thumb and forefinger all the way around the circumference)

Bake in oven for 10 mins, remove spread with pizza sauce

and grated mozzerella cheese, add your favourite toppings and finish with grated cheddar cheese

Return to oven for a further 20 -25 mins or until the cheese is slightly browned

Sufficient dough for 1 good 12" pizza

Best Regards,

David

P.S.

You will need this conversion program. (courtesy of Gourmet Sleuth.Com)

This pizza looks great! I hope it's as good as it looks! I haven't found anything I like yet. The pizza crust is usually still doughy on the inside even after cooking it longer. Is the yeast active? Thanks for the recipe.

twe0708 Community Regular

This pizza looks great! I hope it's as good as it looks! I haven't found anything I like yet. The pizza crust is usually still doughy on the inside even after cooking it longer. Is the yeast active yeast? Thanks for the recipe.

irish daveyboy Community Regular

This pizza looks great! I hope it's as good as it looks! I haven't found anything I like yet. The pizza crust is usually still doughy on the inside even after cooking it longer. Is the yeast active? Thanks for the recipe.

I've never had a bad review yet and it's listed on Peaza.com the international Pizza Blog.

In this recipe there is only a single rise (thermal) while cooking.

Bread is a double rise First Rise is Chemical (proofing or allowing to rise in a warm location before baking) and second rise is Thermal (in the oven when heat is applied)

I don't know how many yeast types you have there but in Ireland there are 2, Dry active (bread yeast) and fresh yeast (looks and feel a bit like tofu) used by large artisan bakeries.

all home bakers use dry active or bread yeast.

Best Regards,

David

TrillumHunter Enthusiast

I love this recipe, David! I wonder if the doughiness was because it wasn't rolled out enough? I roll it out even more than 12" because it makes a thin 'n' crispy type pizza.

BTW, I use a small amount of oil instead of rice flour to roll it out. It is less floury and makes a nice crisp on it.

serenajane Apprentice

Our favorite is Carol Fenster's pizza dough. It's great! And my husband is at the point where he would rather have that than anything else. The last time he got "regular" pizza, he complained about how much he missed mine. :)

I can post the recipe for you tomorrow, if you'd like. There's a ton floating around here, and I'm sure most of them are good. I'm sure you'll get lots of ideas to pick from.

That would be great Thank you. Sorry it took me so long to reply just learning my way around the site.

serenajane Apprentice

I've never had a bad review yet and it's listed on Peaza.com the international Pizza Blog.

In this recipe there is only a single rise (thermal) while cooking.

Bread is a double rise First Rise is Chemical (proofing or allowing to rise in a warm location before baking) and second rise is Thermal (in the oven when heat is applied)

I don't know how many yeast types you have there but in Ireland there are 2, Dry active (bread yeast) and fresh yeast (looks and feel a bit like tofu) used by large artisan bakeries.

all home bakers use dry active or bread yeast.

Best Regards,

David

Pizza looks yummy !!!! Thank you

Ingrid517 Newbie

Hi there, I'm new to the forums, and recently got diagnosed with celiac's disease 2 weeks ago. Pizza (and beer) were my first two concerns. I satisfied my beer needs with Redbridge beer, *phew*. I found this recipe online and made it last night, eating the leftovers as I type this.

It took no time to make. Tastes just like the real thing, texture and consistency. The one thing the recipe doesn't emphasize is what the raw dough form is like. It is basically like the "Soft bread" they describe, but sticks to the sides of the bowl. You have to scrape it out with a spoon, plop the pile onto a sprayed/oiled cookie sheet. Now, they talk about using flour to spread it out. I figured out a much better strategy courtesy of one of Emeril's online videos regarding gluten free pizza dough.

Take a piece of wax paper that is similar to the size of the pan you are using. Spray one side all over with cooking spray, place on top of dough pile, then use a rolling pin on top of the wax paper to roll it out! It comes out nice and flat, just perfect. I cooked it on a rectangular cookie sheet (doubled the recipe) and it spread to the sides evenly. I had to form at the edges to make the crust. Cooked for 15 mins. Took it out, applied toppings, cooking for another 15. It came out PERFECT! My "meat and potatoes" husband who is not gluten free loved it! It has a real "authentic" italian taste with the oils and italian seasoning.

I hope this helps, seems like other people suggested a similar recipe. The rolling pin wax-paper strategy is a life-saver!

• 2 weeks later...
barilla Explorer

I use Against the Grain pizza crust (it comes frozen). Open Original Shared Link My husband who is not celiac says he loves it! It's delicious!

Maggie Mermaid Apprentice

Hi there, I'm new to the forums, and recently got diagnosed with celiac's disease 2 weeks ago. Pizza (and beer) were my first two concerns. I satisfied my beer needs with Redbridge beer, *phew*. I found this recipe online and made it last night, eating the leftovers as I type this.

It took no time to make. Tastes just like the real thing, texture and consistency. The one thing the recipe doesn't emphasize is what the raw dough form is like. It is basically like the "Soft bread" they describe, but sticks to the sides of the bowl. You have to scrape it out with a spoon, plop the pile onto a sprayed/oiled cookie sheet. Now, they talk about using flour to spread it out. I figured out a much better strategy courtesy of one of Emeril's online videos regarding gluten free pizza dough.

Take a piece of wax paper that is similar to the size of the pan you are using. Spray one side all over with cooking spray, place on top of dough pile, then use a rolling pin on top of the wax paper to roll it out! It comes out nice and flat, just perfect. I cooked it on a rectangular cookie sheet (doubled the recipe) and it spread to the sides evenly. I had to form at the edges to make the crust. Cooked for 15 mins. Took it out, applied toppings, cooking for another 15. It came out PERFECT! My "meat and potatoes" husband who is not gluten free loved it! It has a real "authentic" italian taste with the oils and italian seasoning.

I hope this helps, seems like other people suggested a similar recipe. The rolling pin wax-paper strategy is a life-saver!

Great recipe! Tried it for dinner tonite & no leftovers (drats!). Husband (who's pickier than I am) liked it too. I split the dough onto 2 pans so I had individual sized pizzas. First baked them on the baking sheet, then transferred one to a pizza pan with holes in the bottom to make the bottom crispier (husband's preference).

One thing I did try was substituting 2 TBSP tapioca flour for the 2 TBSP dried milk (did not have it on hand). Does anyone know if it really makes a difference in the crust if I leave it out? Thanks in advance.

• 4 weeks later...
shepgs Apprentice

Great recipe! Tried it for dinner tonite & no leftovers (drats!). Husband (who's pickier than I am) liked it too. I split the dough onto 2 pans so I had individual sized pizzas. First baked them on the baking sheet, then transferred one to a pizza pan with holes in the bottom to make the bottom crispier (husband's preference).

One thing I did try was substituting 2 TBSP tapioca flour for the 2 TBSP dried milk (did not have it on hand). Does anyone know if it really makes a difference in the crust if I leave it out? Thanks in advance.

This seems to be our fave recipe also. I also used the extra tapioca flour instead and wondering what difference it made, if any. So, what does the dried milk do, anyway?

I have another question about this and other gluten-free pizza recipes. Is it normal to have a layer of what looks like "not done" crust when it really is done? This happens with this recipe and even with the Chebe mix I tried. Is it just a gluten free pizza thing?

Black Sheep Apprentice

I haven't tried this one yet, I just happened to stumble across it yesterday but it looks good!

Now here's one I have tried, and it's excellent:

She also has a couple of great bread recipes on her site--ones that you can actually make sandwiches out of. YUM! :P

tictax707 Apprentice

Has anyone tried the King Arthur Pizza crust mix?

I've tried the brownies (fantabulous!!) and the cake (I undercooked it, but not too shabby).

luvs2eat Collaborator

I just found Namaste crust in my health food store (really the only place I can find gluten-free stuff ... they've just enlarged their store AND their gluten-free offerings!). I spread it out on parchment paper on top of the pizza stone we have and it yielded a really delicious thin, crispy crust! I don't eat pizza often, so it's my new fave find!!

Archived