glutenfreeinminnesota

Ok, Now I Am Wondering.....

Rate this topic

I had an Endoscopy the beginning of Nov. I was diagnosed Nov. 5th 2009, and have been gluten free since Nov. 8th 2009. I believe the last time I accidently consumed gluten was around the beginning of December. I have been really good and really careful NOT to get cross contaminated or get glutened since then. Now to my question, my GI told me to get my blood tested Jan or Feb to see how the gluten free diet was working for me. So I went in the last couple days and got my blood tested for anemia (have been dealing with that for ten years) and the celiac tests....well it came back that my iron was still very low and the celiac testing came back negative. Is it possible to already come back negative? Or could my endoscopy and biopsy been wrong?? Maybe this is a silly question, and regardless I do feel SO much better being on a gluten free diet, but is it possible I don't have celiacs? How accurate is the endoscopy/biopsy? I believe I have it, and the GI who did the test was positive that was it...but I was surprised to see the celiac disease tests come back negative so quickly, and the iron levels have still not improved...I hope someone can put my mind at ease??

I had an Endoscopy the beginning of Nov. I was diagnosed Nov. 5th 2009, and have been gluten free since Nov. 8th 2009. I believe the last time I accidently consumed gluten was around the beginning of December. I have been really good and really careful NOT to get cross contaminated or get glutened since then. Now to my question, my GI told me to get my blood tested Jan or Feb to see how the gluten free diet was working for me. So I went in the last couple days and got my blood tested for anemia (have been dealing with that for ten years) and the celiac tests....well it came back that my iron was still very low and the celiac testing came back negative. Is it possible to already come back negative? Or could my endoscopy and biopsy been wrong?? Maybe this is a silly question, and regardless I do feel SO much better being on a gluten free diet, but is it possible I don't have celiacs? How accurate is the endoscopy/biopsy? I believe I have it, and the GI who did the test was positive that was it...but I was surprised to see the celiac disease tests come back negative so quickly, and the iron levels have still not improved...I hope someone can put my mind at ease??

This is not actually surprising. The antibodies can leave the bloodstream quite quickly once you remove the gluten. If you tested positive, you were positive; most of us would give our eye teeth for a positive test, but we are "merely" gluten intolerant. As for the continuing low iron test, this is not at all surprising. It takes a long time for the small intestine to heal and start functioning properly. In the meantime, you are going to need iron supplementation to help your body out for an indefinite period of time. Have you had your Vit. D, B12, folate, K and E levels checked, also magnesium, potassium and calcium and zinc levels checked, because these could also be low. Also, you need your thyroid tested, at least free T3, free T4, and TSH. If any of these levels are "low" normal or below normal, or if your TSH is "high" normal, you will probably need some supplementation to get your system back into whack.

Congratulations on eliminating the gluten successfully; :D now get the rest of your body functioning correctly.

The blood tests can go negative pretty quickly once we are gluten-free. One of the reasons why it is stressed that folks need to be on a full gluten diet when being tested. You are doing a great job, keep it up.

Ok thank you!! I figured that would be the answer, and like I said the gluten free diet is making me feel SO much better, better then I have felt for years! So it's pretty obvious, I just didn't realize I was doing that good of a job :)I am still coping and I have moments of denial apparently :P Thanks again! And I will definately get on some iron supplements and probably a every day vitamin seeing as I take nothing right now. I am on the way to taking better care of myself :)

Congrats on feeling better. The iron may take a while to come up. When regular iron supplements were not improving my levels my doc put me on Repliva 21/7 tablets. It is a prescription iron supplement that contains iron in three forms, allowing for better absorption. You take the actual pill for 21 days and then there is a placebo for 7 days, like birth control pills. It was the only thing that helped to bring my iron into check at the beginning, I was around 6-8 in my levels. Now I don't need it as my system has had a chance to heal. Might be worth talking to your doctor about if the over the counter iron supplements do not work.

Congrats on feeling better. The iron may take a while to come up. When regular iron supplements were not improving my levels my doc put me on Repliva 21/7 tablets. It is a prescription iron supplement that contains iron in three forms, allowing for better absorption. You take the actual pill for 21 days and then there is a placebo for 7 days, like birth control pills. It was the only thing that helped to bring my iron into check at the beginning, I was around 6-8 in my levels. Now I don't need it as my system has had a chance to heal. Might be worth talking to your doctor about if the over the counter iron supplements do not work.

I will have to bring that up to her! I am taking the iron pills, but they upset my stomach. I even take the kind thats supposed to be easier on your bowels :\. They have always made me feel this way, which is why I stopped taking them years ago. But, I am trying to deal with it...until I can get in to talk with my doc. Thanks for the advice!