mimommy

Gluten Free Fried Chicken Recipes?

Rate this topic

Hello everyone! I am in need of a tasty gluten-free fried chicken recipe (or oven fried). Does anyone have any experience here? The last time I tried it the chicken had a decidedly fishy taste and smell :( I soaked it in buttermilk before coating it w/ gluten-free breading recipe I found online and used my electric skillet to fry it. It was so bad we called it "chicken-fish". I now have a brand new electric skillet. Is the poultry seasoning found in grocery stores safe to use?

Hello everyone! I am in need of a tasty gluten-free fried chicken recipe (or oven fried). Does anyone have any experience here? The last time I tried it the chicken had a decidedly fishy taste and smell :( I soaked it in buttermilk before coating it w/ gluten-free breading recipe I found online and used my electric skillet to fry it. It was so bad we called it "chicken-fish". I now have a brand new electric skillet. Is the poultry seasoning found in grocery stores safe to use?

Hey minimommy! My husband made some a few weeks ago with Mary's Gone Crackers. He crushed them up in a bag, draped the chicken through eggs and then coated them in the cracker crumbs. It's not exactly the same as Southern fried chicken but it was tasty!

I did "real" fried chicken using the flour blend I usually use (Analise Robert's mix of brown rice flour, potato starch, and tapioca flour), but we prefer soaking it in buttermilk and then dipping it in crushed Doritos Cool Ranch chips w/ a little taco seasoning added and baking it. It's delish!

Poultry seasoning is really just a mix of several different spices and should be gluten-free. What does the label say?

Hi Minimom :D

I use Potato Buds to "bread" my chicken and then oven fry.

What I do is beat an egg in one dish and in another combine Potato Buds, salt, pepper, and a generous amount of garlic powder. Turn the oven on to 375.

Dip the chicken pieces in the egg first and then coat well in the potato mixture. Drizzle some oil in a baking dish (I use some non-stick foil for easy clean up) and place the coated chicken on top. At this point, if there's any potato mixture left, you can sprinkle it over the chicken. Drizzle lightly with a little more oil and bake at 375 for about 45 minutes or until done.

My whole family loves it this way and it makes the house smell incredible while it's cooking.

I used to make oven baked with crushed cornflakes. Haven't made it in a while but I'm going to with gluten-free cornflakes. There was just another thread a day or so ago about using Rice Chex for crunchy toppings.

Yes, that's what I do. I use Rice Chex and Corn Chex and grind them in the food processor. Then I take 1/2 cup of mayo mixed with 1 tablespoon of dijon mustard and mix it. Coat the chicken with the mayo mixture (just rub it on lightly) then coat in the Chex mixture. Place on a baking sheet and spray with no stick spray. Comes out REALLY crispy and tastes great.

Why not go for the real thing?

SOUTHERN FRIED CHICKEN

Dip chicken pieces in buttermilk and then shake in a bag with flour(I use rice flour with a little Gluten Free Pantry flour blend added) lots of salt and black pepper.

Fry in enough oil to come half way up the chicken. Make sure the oil is hot enough (about 350-370)Don't crowd the pan. Keep turning every 5 or so minutes until golden brown and chicken is done. Drain on brown paper bags.

Try it!

I dip my chicken pieces in egg, than dredge in 1/2 cornstarch and 1/2 rice flour that has been seasoned with salt/pepper and garlic powder. I than fry it in pan with oil just like I used to prior to going gluten-free. Not healthy I know..:) since frying it in oil..but nice treat every once in a while.

I do a baked "fried" chicken recipe and dip the chicken in egg/milk mixture, than coat with crushed gluten-free corn flakes that are mixed with parmesean cheese, garlic, onion powder, salt and pepper. I than dot the chicken with butter and bake in oven. It turns out good too. Good luck!

If you have a deep fat fryer, you may want to try this.

Southern Style Fried Chicken (KFC eat yout heart out)

Get a pack of chicken pieces from your supermarket,

drumsticks (lower leg),

thighs (upper leg),

ribs,

wings etc

some super markets sell mixed packs and others will only contain one type.

Place pieces into a pot, cover with cold water and bring to a boil.

Reduce to a simmer for about 5 - 10 mins (a good indicator is when the meat starts to pull away from the bone on the drumsticks)

Remove pieces to a rack to cool and drain (But retain the cooking liquid)

As the pieces are cooling, prepare the coating and turn your deep fat fryer on to high.

Coating:

Gluten Free flour mix, (for a crisper coat add some medium Polenta) season with salt, ground black pepper and ground lemon pepper (if available).

occasional small flecks of pepper should be visible in the flour mix.

You can make it slightly spicier, try using American BBQ seasoning (McCormick or similar) or chili flakes.

When the oil is hot and the chicken is cool take a piece momentarily dip it in the cold cooking liquid

cover in the seasoned flour and continue until all the pieces are coated.

Place chicken pieces in deep fat fryer and cook until the coating is golden in colour

(no more than 4 pieces at a time) remove and drain on kitchen paper.

P.S.

Remember the chicken is already cooked, the browning of the coating and reheating won't take long.

Best Regards,

David

I won't even go near the gravy, believe me you DONT WANT TO KNOW how they make that!

Thank you all for so many delicious ideas! Can't wait to try these great recipes. I'll let you know how they turn out :)

I use crushed up pork rinds and parmesan cheese! :D

• Upvote 1