jasonD2

Ancient Harvest Quinoa Flakes

Rate this topic

Are these safe? Has anyone had any problems with them?

I use these in baking all the time, Jason, and as an extremely sensitive Celiac, have had zero issues with them. They add a nice crunch to

cookie recipes! I am not allergic or intolerant to anything but gluten and dairy so I guess the only way you will know if they are safe for you to use is to give them a whirl. They are gluten-free, though, no doubt on that.

I use these in baking all the time, Jason, and as an extremely sensitive Celiac, have had zero issues with them. They add a nice crunch to

cookie recipes! I am not allergic or intolerant to anything but gluten and dairy so I guess the only way you will know if they are safe for you to use is to give them a whirl. They are gluten-free, though, no doubt on that.

I use them alot with no issues. Has a weird taste as hot cereal though.

I think those are safe. Quinoa doesn't contain gluten. That's a dedicated factory. I never had a problem or obvious reaction. However, I didn't like the bitter taste. So I substituted those quinoa flakes in oatmeal cooky recipes until gluten free oats became more available. I've never had reactions to gluten free oats either.

SUE

cool- yeah i tried them as a hot cereal once and didnt dig it - i just meant in terms of using in baking reciped

i dont think i ever had a reaction but havent had them in a while

Last time I looked at a box it had a note saying that it was processed in a facility that also processes wheat. Has that changed? Someone said that they are made in a dedicated facility.

Last time I looked at a box it had a note saying that it was processed in a facility that also processes wheat. Has that changed? Someone said that they are made in a dedicated facility.

I called the company and they told me that the flakes were processed in a shared facility. The whole grains were processed in a dediacted gluten-free facility. However, that was over a year ago-I feel that I reacted to the flakes at the time. Things may have changed. Reason to call and ask for oneself.

cool- yeah i tried them as a hot cereal once and didnt dig it - i just meant in terms of using in baking reciped

i dont think i ever had a reaction but havent had them in a while

They need to be doctored if you're going to use them as a hot cereal - some variety of sweetener (agave, stevia, etc.) and a spice (cinnamon, vanilla, etc.) for example.

Here is an update from the Ancient Harvest website:

Are your products produced in gluten free facilities?

Our Ancient Harvest Quinoa, Quinoa Flour, Gluten Free Pasta Corn/Quinoa Product Line and Food Merchant Polenta are all processed in specialized gluten free facilities in the United States. This assures us of the highest quality integrity and frequent shorter production runs for fresher product delivered to our customers. Our Quinoa Flakes are now also processed in a gluten free facility.

• Upvote 1

Our Quinoa Flakes are now also processed in a gluten free facility.

Oh, hey, thanks for that! I had stopped using them with my daughter because she seemed to react when they were in the shared facility. Wonder if she'd be willing to give them another try.

Recipe-wise, when we used to use these, they worked in recipes like quick oats, but they would be of a softer texture. You could also use them on top of things like blueberry or apple crisp. If we didn't want as soft a texture, we added a little less liquid to the recipe than we would have with quick oats.

As a porridge, they had a sort of malt-o-meal consistency which I found unappealing.