• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

collins146

Fajitas At Mexian Restuarant

Rate this topic

Made a thread about this a while back that didn't get much of a response.

skip to the bottom for main questions

Sometimes I will get chicken fajitas at authentic mexican restaurants. I get them with no wraps of course(although I have tried them with corn tortillas before, which doesn't taste good and you can't be sure if the restaurant's corn tortillas are gluten-free, or can you??). All that aside I just get them with no tortillas and no seasoning and eat it with a fork. The cool thing about fajitas is you get them on a skillet so that may cut down on cross contamination. Sometimes I eat beans and rice with it, can beans or rice ever have gluten?

so my main questions are

can the cooking oil they use have gluten?

can beans and rice have gluten?

other than that everything is chicken and vegetables. I personally haven't had too much trouble with it, nothing really noticable, so I'm still wondering if it could be bad for me at all.

I eat fajitas and corn tortillas at Mexican restaurants, and many other things too. I just think Mexican cooking is less likely to use wheat in general, so I don't worry about it.

Short answer: Yes, you can be glutened. However, absolutely plain beans, rice, or cooking oil don't have gluten (to my knowledge).

But...

- just like the rice mentioned, the beans may be cooked in broth, which could have gluten

- You may ask for no seasoning, but the chicken or the beans may come 'pre-seasoned' with something that contains gluten. The chicken may also be marinated or brined before the restaurant gets it - more likely in a bigger chain, I believe - and you'd need to find out what they used for that. One place I knew, for example, used soy sauce in the marinade on their chicken.

- and it's very easy to get glutened by the pan unless you requested a just cleaned pan AND spatula, utensil to be used.

Hi All:

I made some mexican for lunch yesterday and I've had the same for lunch today.

I made some lean ground beef with onions and garlic and some green habanero chilis, and tabaso sauce.

I had all the fixings too, including some guacamole which I made.

Yesterday I used a corn tortilla.

Today I used a food for life brown rice tortilla, which I really prefer.

But I have to ask, and I do read labels, sour cream has gluten in it?

Because I don't see anything but:

cultured and pasteurized milk and cream and enzymes.

I rarely ever eat mexican out but I am pretty sure that most of the big places use flour tortillas though you could get a 100% corn tortilla at a smaller family-owned place?

~Allison

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Top Posters +

• Upcoming Events

• June 19, 2019 04:00 PM Until 08:00 AM

Celiac Emotional Healing Support Group

Again you are invited to join Johnny Patout, LCSW for Baton Rouge's first emotional healing support group meeting to assist those living with celiac disease manage the emotional challenges so many of us face. Most often the emotional disturbances include depression, disinterest in normal activities, insomnia, grief, mood changes, anxiety, inability to concentrate, extreme concern about managing a gluten-free lifestyle and other emotional and behavioral challenges.

The professionals at Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center created the emotional healing support group to give us a safe place to begin to process our emotions and support each other as we heal emotionally while managing celiac disease and the resulting autoimmune disorders.

The emotional healing support group meets every Thursday, 6:00-7:00pm, at the Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center of Baton Rouge. Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center is located at 4637 Jamestown Avenue, Baton Rouge, Suite B-1. Suite B-1 is upstairs.

The support group is free and open everyone managing celiac disease. For more information: emotionalhealingforceliacs@hotmail.com
    • July 07, 2019 Until August 03, 2019
      For more information, visit www.kefss.com or call (407) 255-6550. info@kefss.com 

KEF USA Summer Camps Announces the New KEF Gluten-Free Camp in Orlando, Florida for Youths with Celiac Disease.

[Orlando, FL February 6, 2019]-KEF USA is excited to announce that we will offer a new 100% gluten-free camp program to give kids and teens with Celiac Disease a safe, exciting and healthy summer. KEF USA programs offer fun and unique experiences that can only be found in Orlando, Florida. Campers explore the theme parks and local attractions, make new friends, discover new interests and create memories that last a lifetime.

• July 08, 2019 Until July 09, 2019
      14th Euro-Global Gastroenterology Conference happening in Zürich, Switzerland during July 08-09, 2019. We are expecting more than 300 attendees representing from more than 40 countries who would be sharing their experiences and expertise around the world Theme: “Future Perspectives and shaping trends in Gastroenterology”
      You may learn more about our congress by visiting our website: https://europegastroenterology.gastroconferences.com/
      Tracks
      Microbiota and diseases|Acid Related Diseases|Helicobacter Pylori Treatment|Therapeutics targeting Microbioma|Advanced Nutrition and Dietetics in Gastroenterology|Inflammatory Bowel Diseases|Clinical Advances in Liver Diseases|Gastrointestinal Disorders and Drug Delivery|Obesity and Treatments|Gastrointestinal Pathology|Neuro Gastroenterology and Motility disorders|Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition|Gallbladder and biliary tract Diseases|Latest advances in Gastroenterology treatments|Endoscopic Innovations in Gastroenterology and surgery|Clinical and Radiographic Gastrointestinal Abnormalities|Functional GI Disorders|Changing Trends in Etiology of Liver diseases|Epigenetics of gastrointestinal diseases|Bariatric Surgery|Gastrointestinal Radiology and Imaging|Developing treatment for Viral Hepatitis and Fibrosis of Liver|Emerging Trends in Clinical Research of Liver diseases|Hepatitis B treatment Patterns|Therapies in Pancreatic cancer|Diabetes and hepatocellular carcinoma|Intestinal Metaproteomics and Type 1 Diabetes
      Conference Benefits
      ·         CME Credits  
      ·         CPD Credits
      ·         Research publication in proceeding book
      ·         Abstract publication in associated online journal
      ·         DOI by Cross-Ref
      ·         Online speaker webpage
      ·         Workshops and Symposium
      ·         Certificate for participation and attendance
      ·         Young Researchers Forum and Posters Award for Students
      ·         B2b and Networking meetings

Program Director
      Sophia Williams
      Gastroenterology 2019 | Zürich | Switzerland
      conferenceseries.com https://europegastroenterology.gastroconferences.com/
      E-mail: williams.sophiaa@yandex.com
      Whatsapp us : +442382146717