MamaMeagan

Few Questions For A Newbie.....

Rate this topic

I've decided to completely cut out gluten. My GI is unsure if it's celiac or not, but I saw positive improvement so I am going to stick with it. I have 2 of 3 positive blood test but negative scope for Celiac. My GI just ran the gene test on me last week.

I have a few questions about food labels. My main symptom is nausea and stool problems. Last night I had dinner and also had a red beer with gluten free beer, and I felt really sick after dinner. When that happens I search what I was eating. It turns out Clamato is not gluten free (double boo). This morning I still feel nauseous and have gas/tummy issues. I am hoping I didn't eat something wrong today or it could it still be from last night??

Also, have a question about modified food startch, is that a no?? Since the doctor wasn't sure if I have celiacs, was leaning towards intolerance. He said I might be able to tolerate a little. Would even just a little bit like modified food startch make me sick??

Thanks!

Hi Meagan!

Welcome to the Board!

Could you please post your blood test results. Generally, if you have positive results in the Celiac Panel, it's considered diagnostic. The blood panel, endoscopy/biopsy, or positive dietary response can individually diagnose for Celiac.

Often times, the biopsies can miss effected areas and it's inconclusive.

If you do have Celiac, no amount of gluten is safe. Your doctors advice seems a bit premature to recommend "a little might not hurt".

Often times, in the beginning, you might not be able to pin point the source of your illness. It's best to play it simple, until you get the hang of the diet.

Modified Food Starch, in the US is generally derived from corn. If, other, it must by law, be listed as Modified Food Starch (wheat). Wheat must always be listed in an ingredient or in the allergen statement of a product.

Hi Meagan!

Welcome to the Board!

Could you please post your blood test results. Generally, if you have positive results in the Celiac Panel, it's considered diagnostic. The blood panel, endoscopy/biopsy, or positive dietary response can individually diagnose for Celiac.

Often times, the biopsies can miss effected areas and it's inconclusive.

If you do have Celiac, no amount of gluten is safe. Your doctors advice seems a bit premature to recommend "a little might not hurt".

Often times, in the beginning, you might not be able to pin point the source of your illness. It's best to play it simple, until you get the hang of the diet.

Modified Food Starch, in the US is generally derived from corn. If, other, it must by law, be listed as Modified Food Starch (wheat). Wheat must always be listed in an ingredient or in the allergen statement of a product.

I believe I tested positive for IgA and IgG, but negative for TTg. Negative biopsy, but positive diet results, so he is going to do the gene test. I had a stroke in Nov., as a healthy 25 year old it was a shock. No risk factors or reasons found for the stroke. I've also had joint pain (since I cut out gluten, ironically) and positive ANA, but have had TONS of blood work for lupus, arthitis, connective tissue and everything is negative. Also have fatigue, but could be from depression?? Maybe the gene test will help us out a bit??

I believe I tested positive for IgA and IgG, but negative for TTg. Negative biopsy, but positive diet results, so he is going to do the gene test. I had a stroke in Nov., as a healthy 25 year old it was a shock. No risk factors or reasons found for the stroke. I've also had joint pain (since I cut out gluten, ironically) and positive ANA, but have had TONS of blood work for lupus, arthitis, connective tissue and everything is negative. Also have fatigue, but could be from depression?? Maybe the gene test will help us out a bit??

Gluten can effect other areas of our bodies. It's called Celiac Disease when the autoimmune reaction is contained in the small intestines. Gluten Ataxia can effect the nervous system. That might be something you might look into.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2002/04/020424073708.htm

Good luck to you in your search. :)