This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Need Help With Hair--Nutritional Issues

starrytrekchic

starrytrekchic Apprentice

Hi! I really need help with my hair--nutritional issues.

It's been dry for the last couple of years (wasn't when I was younger.) This summer I lost all of my hair color--it went from extremely dark brown to a dull red in the matter of a couple of months--from root to tip. I haven't noticed any hair loss, but honestly, I have so much of it I wouldn't notice that until it got really far advanced.

Some of it also turned coarse and wiry. It's very brittle, and I have tons of split ends. I don't do anything that should lead to this--I wash and condition every other day with gentle, gluten-free products, I don't style it, I let it dry naturally, I don't have hard water or any other environmental issues.

As far as I can tell, this means it's likely nutritional. I've been gluten free for about 3 months (and doing really well), and I like to think my hair is growing in better, but this could be wishful thinking. My questions--are there any particular vitamins or minerals I should be taking to help it? Anything celiac disease would make me short in that would also damage my hair? Is there anything I can do to help restore my hair? I've been growing it out for years and don't really want to cut it all off. I've tried things like olive oil, deep conditioners, hot oil treatments, and apple cider vinegar--none of that has helped so far.

And has anyone else had this problem? How soon after going gluten-free did you hair start to recover? Did you have to cut off the rest of it, or is there some hope for what's already damaged? Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Reba32 Rookie

if you are malnourished, then the last part of you to get any of the few nutrients your body receives is going to be your hair and nails. Once you notice your hair and nails getting brittle, you know you're sick!

After a while it should rectify. Any gluten free multi-vitimin will help, as will omega 3 oils, and making sure you're eating a properly balanced diet with healthy fats, protiens and carbs, and make sure you're properly hydrated as well. Healthy fats are important, there are fat soluble vitimins, that unless you have fat in your diet, you won't be absorbing them.

Healthy fats include olive oil, coconut oil, avocados, and full fat dairy products.

If you've got split ends though, the only way to fix that is trim them off. Despite the commercials, shampoo just won't fix that!

virginiagl Apprentice

my hair has been going through the same dryness and my nails also have ridges in them. Lips are constantly peeling too. It never occurred to me that malnourishment was going on.

if you are malnourished, then the last part of you to get any of the few nutrients your body receives is going to be your hair and nails. Once you notice your hair and nails getting brittle, you know you're sick!

After a while it should rectify. Any gluten free multi-vitimin will help, as will omega 3 oils, and making sure you're eating a properly balanced diet with healthy fats, protiens and carbs, and make sure you're properly hydrated as well. Healthy fats are important, there are fat soluble vitimins, that unless you have fat in your diet, you won't be absorbing them.

Healthy fats include olive oil, coconut oil, avocados, and full fat dairy products.

If you've got split ends though, the only way to fix that is trim them off. Despite the commercials, shampoo just won't fix that!

Thanks--I wonder if that's why flax seeds and flax seed oil taste like heaven to me--all the omega oils! I actually eat a lot of avocados--again, I seem to crave them--but I'll definitely switch to full fat dairy to see if that helps.

As to the split ends--I keep trimming...they keep multiplying! It's a wonder my hair has gotten any longer at all over the last year.

Reba32 Rookie

have you checked the ingredients on all your shampoos and conditioners? If there is wheat in them, you may be reacting topically to it.

If you use other hair products (spray, mouse, gels) that have alcohol in the, thy can severely dry your hair.

You can use coconut oil topically and on your hair too. Inside and out, it's a good additive to your kitchen and a beauty routine. :D

ravenwoodglass Mentor

The coconut oil is a great idea. I used to put a small bit on my hair at night and brush it through and then shampoo in the morning. I have also warmed some in the microwave, warm not hot, and then applied and covered with a warm towel while I put a mask on my face and did other 'spa' type stuff. Makes for a nice pampering. I had a great deal of hair loss and I take Country Life vitamins for Hair and Nails. They are gluten-free and did seem to help.

Have you mentioned this to your doctor? It might be a good idea to check your thyroid and your iron and vitamin and mineral levels just to be on the safe side. A wonky thyroid can effect our hair growth and texture.

mommida Enthusiast

You should get your thyroid checked. :o Do you have any other symptoms going on?

An excellent vitamin supplement for hair and nails is Biotin. It also helps with metabolism. ;)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

scissorhappygirl Newbie

HI. I'm a hairdresser and here are my two cents' worth... Biotin and folic acid, if taken together, will strengthen hair and nails. Puberty, having children, chemo, and yes, vitamin deficiencies can all play a part. I am stage four celiac who gets iron infusions, though, and I have never had a problem with my hair. Prescrition drugs can wreak havoc, as can drinking heavily and doing certain recreational drugs. Sometimes I won't do color on people who take certain meds because it can affect how the color takes. Only wash your hair when needed. Shampoo has a highly alkiline ph so it pops open the hair shaft similarly to color. Conditioner is cool though. There are some alchohols that are very conditioning to the hair. Stearyl alchohol,which is in most conditioners for example, is very conditioning. Keep getting the neds trimmed because one the ends split, they travel up the hair shaft, splittin it in two, and then you end up with two thin breaking hairs rather than one nice thick strand. Make sense? I don't recommend coconut oil, though. It really smells, wether you all realize it or not. Sorry to tell you, but it's true. Olive oil or avocado is much better if you have thicker hair. And remember. Most hair products have hydrolyzed wheat protein, which you don't want to get in your nose and mouth. Paul Mitchell only has ONE product that doesn't contain gluten. Be knowledgeable and do your research!!!

Reba32 Rookie

there are some brands of coconut oil that have no taste nor smell.

jerseyangel Proficient

I was going to suggest having your thyroid checked also.

I have dry, curly hair that I have colored and relaxed--very drying. I use conditioner to "wash" my hair, only using sulfate-free shampoo once a week or so.

sandsurfgirl Collaborator

Make sure you are using salon quality products not store bought stuff like Suave and Pantene. Enjoy and Matrix have some that don't have any wheat in them. I had to give up all my beautiful Redken and cried like a baby.

Biosilk leave in hair treatment is phenomenal and I swear by it. People stop me in public and ask me about my hair and I say that Biosilk is one of the biggest reasons for that.

daniknik Apprentice

Make sure you are using salon quality products not store bought stuff like Suave and Pantene. Enjoy and Matrix have some that don't have any wheat in them. I had to give up all my beautiful Redken and cried like a baby.

Biosilk leave in hair treatment is phenomenal and I swear by it. People stop me in public and ask me about my hair and I say that Biosilk is one of the biggest reasons for that.

I read your review and thought that the BioSilk products sounded great...until I read the ingredients list. This is from their website at Open Original Shared Link

BioSilk Silk Filler

For all hair types - Light Leave in Conditioner - Rosewater base Restores moisture & improves elasticity - Also for skin as a light moisturizer.

Features:

* 11.6 fl oz (300 ml). Ideal for all hair types.

* Light leave-in conditioner

* Rosewater base

* Restores moisture & improves elasticity

* Also for skin as a light moisturizer

Product Description :

Leave-in treatment instantly repairs dry, damaged hair, restores moisture and strength while protecting from further damage caused by chemicals and thermal styling.

Ingredients :

Rosewater, Dicetyldimonium Chloride, Cocodimonium Hydroxypropyl Silk Amino Acids, Acetamide MEA (and) Lactamide MEA, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein Hydroxypropyl Polysiloxane, Lauryl Pyrrolidone, Panthenol, Propylene Glycol, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Methylchloroisothiazolinone (and) Methylisothiazolinone, Nettle Extract, Chamomile, Algae, Aloe Vera, Lavender, Rosemary Extract, Parfum.

newgfcali Rookie

Make sure you are using salon quality products not store bought stuff like Suave and Pantene.

Uh oh.... is Suave a no-no? I read the ingredients and didn't see any bad stuff. Does it have gluten in it or is it just bad for your hair in general?

Uh oh.... is Suave a no-no? I read the ingredients and didn't see any bad stuff. Does it have gluten in it or is it just bad for your hair in general?

It's just well... crap. :lol: I don't put anything cheap that I can get at a grocery store on my hair or face. I only use high quality salon products.

I read your review and thought that the BioSilk products sounded great...until I read the ingredients list. This is from their website at Open Original Shared Link

BioSilk Silk Filler

For all hair types - Light Leave in Conditioner - Rosewater base Restores moisture & improves elasticity - Also for skin as a light moisturizer.

Features:

* 11.6 fl oz (300 ml). Ideal for all hair types.

* Light leave-in conditioner

* Rosewater base

* Restores moisture & improves elasticity

* Also for skin as a light moisturizer

Product Description :

Leave-in treatment instantly repairs dry, damaged hair, restores moisture and strength while protecting from further damage caused by chemicals and thermal styling.

Ingredients :

Rosewater, Dicetyldimonium Chloride, Cocodimonium Hydroxypropyl Silk Amino Acids, Acetamide MEA (and) Lactamide MEA, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein Hydroxypropyl Polysiloxane, Lauryl Pyrrolidone, Panthenol, Propylene Glycol, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Methylchloroisothiazolinone (and) Methylisothiazolinone, Nettle Extract, Chamomile, Algae, Aloe Vera, Lavender, Rosemary Extract, Parfum.

That's a different one of their products. I use Biosilk Silk Therapy and it is gluten free. It's a clear liquid. Actually they do sell it at Costco sometimes. It's not a conditioner. I guess it would be considered a treatment.

I don't use Biosilk conditioner or shampoo because yes, they do contain wheat.

newgfcali Rookie

It's just well... crap. :lol: I don't put anything cheap that I can get at a grocery store on my hair or face. I only use high quality salon products.

Well, that's pretty clear. LOL! So the question becomes, what's not only safe (no soy, no gluten, no casein, blah blah blah) but also GOOD for my hair? I don't mind spending a few bucks but ... you know ... within reason?

Here it is Open Original Shared Link

I've been using it for about 12 years now. It is a miracle really.

Here are the ingredients

Cyclomethicone, Dimethicone, SD Alcohol 40B, C12 15 Alkyl Benzoate, Ethyl Ester of Hydrolyzed Silk, Panthenol, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Fragrance, Hexyl Cinnamic Aldehyde, Benzyl Benzoate, Linalool, Gamma Methyl Ionone, Citronellol, Lilial, Hydroxycitronellal, Geraniol, Eugenol

Well, that's pretty clear. LOL! So the question becomes, what's not only safe (no soy, no gluten, no casein, blah blah blah) but also GOOD for my hair? I don't mind spending a few bucks but ... you know ... within reason?

OMG I sounded like such a snob! I'm cracking up that I wrote that. :lol:

Take a look at Enjoy products and Biolage from Matrix. I also use the Matrix line of color care shampoo and conditioner. I'm not sure if they will have soy or casein, but I wouldn't worry about those so much. With celiac being autoimmune I think gluten is your biggest concern.

They aren't cheap, but they last longer because you don't use as much too.

Aveda has some products that don't contain wheat but I'm not sure which ones. You have to go to an Aveda salon and read ingredients because they aren't listed on the website and I haven't had time to do that. It's so annoying that they ONLY sell their stuff at certain salons but their stuff is really good.

newgfcali Rookie

OMG I sounded like such a snob! I'm cracking up that I wrote that. :lol:

You are too funny! :D :D

I will see if I can find what you suggested. Color care? Now what makes you think I'm NOT a natural blonde... ;)

You are too funny! :D :D

I will see if I can find what you suggested. Color care? Now what makes you think I'm NOT a natural blonde... ;)

Girl you know that beautiful blonde only lasts awhile and then it fades to "dishwater blonde" and you have to help it out a bit! My hairdresser is more important than my doctor! I will dye until I die.

If you get the biosilk, don't put it in the roots. Your hair will look oily. Put it on the ends and work it in.

HI. I'm a hairdresser and here are my two cents' worth... Biotin and folic acid, if taken together, will strengthen hair and nails. Puberty, having children, chemo, and yes, vitamin deficiencies can all play a part. I am stage four celiac who gets iron infusions, though, and I have never had a problem with my hair. Prescrition drugs can wreak havoc, as can drinking heavily and doing certain recreational drugs. Sometimes I won't do color on people who take certain meds because it can affect how the color takes. Only wash your hair when needed. Shampoo has a highly alkiline ph so it pops open the hair shaft similarly to color. Conditioner is cool though. There are some alchohols that are very conditioning to the hair. Stearyl alchohol,which is in most conditioners for example, is very conditioning. Keep getting the neds trimmed because one the ends split, they travel up the hair shaft, splittin it in two, and then you end up with two thin breaking hairs rather than one nice thick strand. Make sense? I don't recommend coconut oil, though. It really smells, wether you all realize it or not. Sorry to tell you, but it's true. Olive oil or avocado is much better if you have thicker hair. And remember. Most hair products have hydrolyzed wheat protein, which you don't want to get in your nose and mouth. Paul Mitchell only has ONE product that doesn't contain gluten. Be knowledgeable and do your research!!!

Thanks, I'll definitely try biotin and folic acid. I don't take prescription drugs, or any drugs, or drink much, so that's not it. I'll definitely put aside a day to work on trimming off all these split end--hate to imagine how ragged my hair will look like afterward!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I can't afford to get my thyroid tested, but I don't have any other symptoms of that. A lot of people have mentioned nails--actually, my nails seem okay, as best I can tell. I'll put coconut oil on my list though.

The coconut oil is a great idea. I used to put a small bit on my hair at night and brush it through and then shampoo in the morning. I have also warmed some in the microwave, warm not hot, and then applied and covered with a warm towel while I put a mask on my face and did other 'spa' type stuff. Makes for a nice pampering. I had a great deal of hair loss and I take Country Life vitamins for Hair and Nails. They are gluten-free and did seem to help.

Have you mentioned this to your doctor? It might be a good idea to check your thyroid and your iron and vitamin and mineral levels just to be on the safe side. A wonky thyroid can effect our hair growth and texture.

I'll definitely try the coconut oil warmed up and with a towel covering it. Are Country Life vitamins and coconut oil easy to find? I checked for coconut oil at Kroger'sand didn't see any--would it be at a health store?

JBaby Enthusiast

Yes its called nutritional supplements, not just eating gluten-free read my post under the topic : Post recovery, treatment....however that one is worded. My topic i started is called ADVICE.

• 9 months later...

(Note that this is an old thread! I'd edit the main post to say this has been updated, but it doesn't have an edit button.)

I wanted to update this, because my hair has slowly gotten better, and now the growth is as good as it ever was. Unfortunately some of the longer parts are beyond recovery, so I'm just waiting for those to grow out.

One surprise is that my hair is now growing much faster. I noticed it was growing achingly slowly in the years leading up to going gluten free (five years to grow from a boyish cut to below my shoulders!), but I didn't realize that was unusual for me.

Things that helped:

The regular trimming--I hated to do it because I spent so much time trying to get my hair to grow out, but it really did help keep it manageable (and less crunchy).

Time--I have a noticeable gradient about 2 inches in or so where my hair goes from flat, red, limp, and brittle to full, thick, dark, curly, and moisturized.

Diet emphasis--I bought a bottle of vitamins designed just for hair, ate foods heavy on full fats (avocados, dairy, etc.), and took lots of flax seed oil.

A boarbristle brush--I'm dreadful at remembering to even brush my hair, and since my hair is naturally curly, a lot of moisture wasn't getting spread throughout my hair. There were noticeable (if probably temporary) differences when I used this.

Hair treatments never did help. I think my hair was beyond it. To be fair, I wasn't able to try the coconut oil. Only one place carried it nearby, and it was out of my price range. I also didn't change my hair routine (except changing brushes), because there really wasn't anything to change for me (but there may be for others).

Still have a long ways to go for my hair to get back to normal, but I'm really encouraged.

rosetapper23 Explorer

After being glutened last April, my hair began to thin, break, fall out, etc., and my scalp even got flaky. I finally figured out two months ago that I was deficient in zinc, and my research showed that I needed to take "amino acid chelated zinc" to improve all of the things in my body that had gone wrong as a result of the zinc malabsorption. When I went to the healthfood store, the nutritionist on staff also recommended that I try BioSil (which is Silicon and Choline) because others will celiac seemed helped by it.

Well, it's been two months....and I have one-inch hairs sprouting all over my head!! It feels thick again, and it's amazing to actually see the hair growth that has resulted. I should mention that I also added Biotin six months ago when the hair loss became apparent, but it didn't do anything to help the situation--probably because I lacked other nutrients.

By the way, other symptoms of zinc deficiency include breaking out around the mouth and "floppy" tendons. I suffered numerous stress fractures in my feet and a severely fallen arch because the tendons were too floppy to support my bones. It took me six months to figure out that it was a deficiency in zinc that was causing the fractures, etc. Just FYI...

Archived