This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Caffeine And Bloating

lillylou

lillylou Newbie

I was diagnosed a year and a half ago with gluten sensitivity and I'm doing pretty good. I just recently (3mos. ago) started drinking coffee again, just one cup in the morning, and just lately I've started getting bloated. Is it the caffeine that is doing that? If I switch over to tea, will it have the same effect on me?

Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

burdee Enthusiast

I was diagnosed a year and a half ago with gluten sensitivity and I'm doing pretty good. I just recently (3mos. ago) started drinking coffee again, just one cup in the morning, and just lately I've started getting bloated. Is it the caffeine that is doing that? If I switch over to tea, will it have the same effect on me?

Thanks.

Do you add anything to your coffee or drink it black? Do you use any kind of sweeteners?

SUE

jerseyangel Proficient

I'm thinking similar to Sue. I know for me, caffeine tends to act as a diuretic. Dairy and especially artificial sweeteners can cause bloating if you're sensitive to them or if your body is not used to them.

lillylou Newbie

I'm thinking similar to Sue. I know for me, caffeine tends to act as a diuretic. Dairy and especially artificial sweeteners can cause bloating if you're sensitive to them or if your body is not used to them.

Sometimes I put a tiny bit of agave nector in my coffee and that's it.

Thanks.

VioletBlue Contributor

Agava nectar for all the claims out there is as bad as high fructose corn syrup. There is nothing natural or beneficial about it; it's a higly processed product and bares no resemblance to the agava products native populations used to use for sweetening.

You are actually better off using pure sugar than a product like agava nectar that is largely fructose. Yes, I know, that's not what their sale pitches claim, but the chemistry of Agava nectar doesn't lie. So using agava nectar is the same as pouring high fructose corn syrup into your coffee. If you react or have a problem with HFCS than you will probably have the same issues with Agava nectar.

Thanks.

burdee Enthusiast

Thanks.

I never heard of anyone being sensitive to agave, which is NOT an artificial sweetener. However, anything is possible. Nevertheless, I wonder whether your symptoms are related to what you ate the day or night before, rather than the coffee per se. Caffeine in any beverage or food causes reflux for me, but never bloating.

SUE

starrytrekchic Apprentice

Is it flavored coffee? Both that and instant coffee, like you get at a hospital/hotel, can have gluten.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

VioletBlue Contributor

Agava nectar is not natural; it's highly processed fructose.

Allergies are possible to any substance.

Open Original Shared Link

I never heard of anyone being sensitive to agave, which is NOT an artificial sweetener. However, anything is possible. Nevertheless, I wonder whether your symptoms are related to what you ate the day or night before, rather than the coffee per se. Caffeine in any beverage or food causes reflux for me, but never bloating.

SUE

burdee Enthusiast

I totally agree. I have an ELISA (blood test) diagnosed allergy to cane sugar, which is currently advertised as the only 'natural' sweetener. Agave doesn't bother me at all. Even 'bad press' high fructose corn syrup doesn't bother me. However, I don't overdose on any sugars or sugar sweetened foods. I also avoid all artificial sweetners (except pure stevia), which cause leaky gut IBS symptoms for me. I think we need to decide from our own symptoms and food allergy tests whether we react to small amounts of any foods or we react to excessive amounts of some foods (like sweeteners).

SUE

Agava nectar is not natural; it's highly processed fructose.

Allergies are possible to any substance.

Archived