4berrys

Symptoms From Glutenings?

Rate this topic

I am just curious about other people's symptoms when they get gluten. My kids have the worst symptoms, most especially their spontaneous, horrific bloody noses. I was worried and concerned about this symptom especially and actually called and talked to Dr. Fasano about it. He said he had never heard of bleeding from getting gluten unless it was someone who was getting a regular dose of gluten for months on end. Well---all it takes is ONE bite of something that has contamination for this symptom to occur in my kids. And it just so happens there is another family in town who have 2 kids who react this way too. This is not their only symptom---but it's the one that worries me. My gums will bleed and I will bruise easily. We also get itching, acne break outs, joint pains, altered moods (depression, anxiety, anger, irritability, insomnia) and Raynaud's flare ups.

There have been quite a few labeled gluten-free foods that we had to stop eating due to cross contamination, and perhaps that accounts for the getting gluten for 'months on end' and why my kids have horrible reactions to gluten.

Also, I am curious as to the changing nature of our bodie's reactions to gluten. It used to be for me I would get the itchies, headache/sinus headache and night sweats. Major, painful gas too but no D. Now my reaction time is swifter and more severe---meaning I barely get notice that I have had a tiny amount of gluten before my body rebels in Rock Star fashion? Anyone else have more severe and changing symptoms years down the road?

I am just curious about other people's symptoms when they get gluten. My kids have the worst symptoms, most especially their spontaneous, horrific bloody noses. I was worried and concerned about this symptom especially and actually called and talked to Dr. Fasano about it. He said he had never heard of bleeding from getting gluten unless it was someone who was getting a regular dose of gluten for months on end. Well---all it takes is ONE bite of something that has contamination for this symptom to occur in my kids. And it just so happens there is another family in town who have 2 kids who react this way too. This is not their only symptom---but it's the one that worries me. My gums will bleed and I will bruise easily. We also get itching, acne break outs, joint pains, altered moods (depression, anxiety, anger, irritability, insomnia) and Raynaud's flare ups.

There have been quite a few labeled gluten-free foods that we had to stop eating due to cross contamination, and perhaps that accounts for the getting gluten for 'months on end' and why my kids have horrible reactions to gluten.

Also, I am curious as to the changing nature of our bodie's reactions to gluten. It used to be for me I would get the itchies, headache/sinus headache and night sweats. Major, painful gas too but no D. Now my reaction time is swifter and more severe---meaning I barely get notice that I have had a tiny amount of gluten before my body rebels in Rock Star fashion? Anyone else have more severe and changing symptoms years down the road?

When I was first diagnosed four years ago, it was clear that I'd been glutened...Within 15 to 30 minutes, I'd have to run to the bathroom. This still happens if I get a big dose of gluten (accidentally), but now I get more typical allergic reactions - throat and tongue feeling a little weird, and sometimes even hives. It is definitely more subtle now, or maybe I just never noticed it before because it wasn't that noticeable. I also have flareups with fibromyalgia and joint pain, and break out around my ears and get an itchy scalp, especially if I am exposed to wheat germ oil or other gluten-containing products in shampoos, etc. I've never had or known anybody who had nosebleeds, but I did know another celiac once who had seizures.