Nor_TX

Dried Apples, Mango, Papaya...

Rate this topic

I checked the bulk bins at Sprouts and Whole Foods and it seems that the only ingredients in their dried apples, mango and papaya are the fruit and, Sulfur Dioxide. Any ideas if these items would be considered gluten free?

Outside of any concerns of contamination (and everyone has their own approach to how conservative they are on this one), fruits don't have gluten and sulfur dioxide is not a gluten containing ingredient. (I eat the dried mango from whole foods all the time. ;) )

I'm lucky I can dry my own mango -

Watching the boxes that come into the local Grocery from The Philippines and Indonesia will at times have starch listed as well as the fruit and sulfur. Have also seen it with nuts.

These boxes are repacked by the produce people in the stores who used the same labels regardless of the source.

I've given up getting bulk products less I can see the box -- KNowing what goes into the Whole Foods store in HOnolulu is no different that comes to my little store in Kona, I would be careful.

Outside of any concerns of contamination (and everyone has their own approach to how conservative they are on this one), fruits don't have gluten and sulfur dioxide is not a gluten containing ingredient. (I eat the dried mango from whole foods all the time. ;) )