canusayceliac

Hot Dogs Baked In Buns

Rate this topic

My son misses hot dogs now that we are on a gluten-free diet. I have been trying to find replacements for our normal meals. As I build up our gluten-free pantry I learn new recipes. I created this recipe and it works well as a replacement for hot dogs in buns. The Parmesan cheese in the dough makes it tasty.

PAM cooking spray

1/2 cup gluten-free flour (I use Danna Korn's recipe)

1/3 C sorghum flour

1/4 C garbanzo bean flour

1/4 C cornstarch

2 TBS sugar

2 TBS powdered milk

1 tsp ground mustard seed

1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp active dry yeast

1/2 C finely grated Parmesan cheese

1 tsp apple cider vinegar

1 egg (room temperature)

2 egg whites (room temperature)

2 TBS olive oil

2 TBS buttermilk or evaporated milk (room temperature)

1/4 C warm water 110 degrees

4 hot dogs

1 TBS warm water

1 egg white

Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Turn off when it reaches 200 degrees. Spray 6" x 8" baking dish with PAM. Into a large bowl sift the following: gluten-free flour, sorghum flour,garbanzo bean flour, corn starch, sugar, powdered milk, ground mustard seed, and salt. Whisk together until well blended. Stir in grated Parmesan cheese. In a small bowl, whisk together apple cider vinegar, egg, egg whites, olive oil, and buttermilk or evaporated milk. Whisk until egg whites slightly beaten. With a rubber spatula, stir egg mixture into dry ingredients. When all dry ingredients are wet add warm water. Stir until water is blended into batter. Beat the batter on low and gradually increase speed to high. Beat 3 minutes, scrapping sides to keep dough going into beaters. Spoon batter into the baking pan you sprayed with PAM. Turn the dish so that the longest side is at the top. Place the hot dogs evenly apart on top of the batter, making sure they are about 1/2" from the left and right edges. Slightly press hot dogs into batter, about half way in. Spray a piece of wax paper and place over the dish. (This is a neat trick I learned from Danna Korn. It keeps some of the heat in and any breeze out between the time you remove it from the oven after it has been raised and the time the oven has reached the desired temperature for baking.) Place batter with hot dogs in the slightly heated oven with the wax paper in place. Let it rise for about 40 minutes. I like to set my toaster oven to "toast" about 5 minutes before the bread is done raising so it is slightly hot when the dough has finished rising. Then I turn the toaster oven off. Remove the dish from the oven leaving the waxed paper on it. Heat oven to 350 degrees. While it is heating up, I open the door to my toaster oven and leave it slightly ajar. I set my dish on top of the toaster oven so that part of the dish is off the top and over the door. Let the heat rise to warm the bread. After a few minutes, when the toaster oven temperatures drops I put the dish into the toaster oven and close the door. Shortly after that the oven should be heated. Remove the waxed paper. Whisk the water and the last egg white until frothy. Brush over the top of the batter. Place in oven and bake 15 minutes. Remove and brush the top of the dough once more with the egg whites. Cover with a piece of foil to prevent the top from burning. Return to oven and bake another 15 minutes. Remove the foil and bake another 5 minutes. You do this to make sure the egg whites on top are baked. Remove the bread from the oven. Let it sit for 5-6 minutes. Use a small metal spatula and separate the bread edges from the sides of the pans. Go around the whole dish slightly lifting the bread to keep it from sticking to the bottom of the pan. Invert the pan and remove the bread. Place the bread on a rack right side up and let it cool. When the bread is cool cut in half between the hot dogs, then into fourths. The bread will not have raised enough to cover the hot dogs but will be higher than the hot dogs on the sides. This works out well because you can squeeze a little mustard and ketchup on top of the hot dogs. Then you pick up the hot dog in the bread and enjoy.