This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Friesenburgers - Anyone Tried This Restaurant?

cyberprof

cyberprof Enthusiast

An advertisement for Friesenburgers Restaurant appeared at the bottom of this site for me (the "smart" forum knows that I'm near Seattle, I guess). They advertise gluten free burgers with tapica buns (maybe Ener-G) and safe eating. I don't get to Tacoma very often but have wished for a real burger (like I used to get at Kidd Valley or Dick's)...having one at home with a bun that I make is OK but I miss the burger experience. Not too keen on tapica buns but willing to give it a try.

Anyone tried this place? It's right by the Tacoma Dome.

It sounds like they understand gluten-free safety. Here's a quote from their site: "We take measures to prevent cross contamination. Such as grill zoning and separate fryer for cooking fries only. Because we still serve wheat products as well. There is a chance of some cross contamination."

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Juliebove Rising Star

Okay dangit! I went to your link and now am hungry for a burger! I'm in Bothell, so that's a bit far for me. I'm having dinner at Mongo's in Clearview.

I always get the burger with no bun and no cheese. No gluten issues for me, but I can't have egg or dairy. The buns might actually be safe for me. Never checked. I do have diabetes though so have to watch the carbs. I do eat the fries, so adding a bun would be carb overload.

Daughter always gets the chicken teriyaki. I had been ordering the burger with no bun for her. The lady at the counter asked if she had celiac? She doesn't. Used to have a gluten allergy, but has outgrown it. Is still allergic to wheat though so pretty much still eats a gluten-free diet. Anyway... They have gluten-free soy sauce. Teriyaki used to be one of her favorite foods and I never thought she would eat it again. I should add she also had a soy allergy but outgrew that as well. Otherwise that would still be out of the question.

If you're ever out this way, I highly recommend this place. The food is out of this world! Best burger I ever had, even without the bun.

cyberprof Enthusiast

Okay dangit! I went to your link and now am hungry for a burger! I'm in Bothell, so that's a bit far for me. I'm having dinner at Mongo's in Clearview.

I always get the burger with no bun and no cheese. No gluten issues for me, but I can't have egg or dairy. The buns might actually be safe for me. Never checked. I do have diabetes though so have to watch the carbs. I do eat the fries, so adding a bun would be carb overload.

Daughter always gets the chicken teriyaki. I had been ordering the burger with no bun for her. The lady at the counter asked if she had celiac? She doesn't. Used to have a gluten allergy, but has outgrown it. Is still allergic to wheat though so pretty much still eats a gluten-free diet. Anyway... They have gluten-free soy sauce. Teriyaki used to be one of her favorite foods and I never thought she would eat it again. I should add she also had a soy allergy but outgrew that as well. Otherwise that would still be out of the question.

If you're ever out this way, I highly recommend this place. The food is out of this world! Best burger I ever had, even without the bun.

Hmm...We just drove through Clearview to get hay last weekend. Would never have known about Mondo's.

Well, I don't get to Tacoma very often, except when travelling south or on business, but next time I do, I'm going to stop and get a bacon cheeseburger- off my diet for sure!

~Laura

• 4 weeks later...
cyberprof Enthusiast

OK, I was in Tacoma last week for business and stopped at Friesenburgers and it was great. It's right off the exit right before you get to the Tacoma Dome and six blocks from downtown, so it's very convenient.

I had the gluten-free mini-Friesenburger with bacon and cheese...it was HUGE! They also put an egg on it, which was OK but I'll leave that off the next time. The bun was soft and fresh.

They have a dedicated frier, so I stopped and got french fries for the drive back to Seattle. They were ok, not salted so kinda bland even with their "special" dipping sauce and sprinkled salt.

I guess I'll be stopping in anytime I drive by Tacoma!

~Laura

Archived